News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Empire Strikes Back Question

Started by Savonarola, December 24, 2009, 11:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The first time that you saw ESB did you believe Darth Vader when he told Luke he was Luke's father

Yes
32 (74.4%)
Nooooooo!
11 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

MadBurgerMaker

I don't remember what I thought the first time I saw it.  I was a little baby.  :P  Apparently, I was passed out pretty much the whole time, but yeah, my parents were those parents with a tiny little kid in the movie theater.

The first time I saw it that I actually remember, it wasn't a big secret anymore, so yeah I believed him.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: katmai on December 24, 2009, 12:38:34 PM
I'm gonna smack you next time in Van if you think I didn't know that Buddha.

Long as you don't kick me in the nuts.
:p

Caliga

IIRC I thought he was telling the truth.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sophie Scholl

I think I actually saw Return of the Jedi first, so yeah, I knew.  I wasn't born yet when it came out, but damn did I love ewoks when I was a kid!  Yub nub, bitches!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on December 24, 2009, 03:34:19 PM
damn did I love ewoks when I was a kid!  Yub nub, bitches!

They are the Jar Jar of the original movies. I remember rooting for the AT-STs to squash the little teddy bears when I was 9.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sophie Scholl

They must have been at least a little cooler, as I didn't see independent Gungan movies, cartoons, books, or stuffed animals after Episode 1.  Ewoks are much more awesome.  Dammit. :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

dps

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on December 24, 2009, 03:46:03 PM
They must have been at least a little cooler, as I didn't see independent Gungan movies, cartoons, books, or stuffed animals after Episode 1

Given what I know of the nature of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, I bet they exist.  And while I'm not 100% sure about stuffed animals, I know that there were action figures.

EDIT:  oh, yeah, about the thread question.  I believed him because he told Luke to use the Force to search his feelings, and when Luke did so, he believed.  I didn't want to believe it, because frankly it screws up the timeline that seemed to exist in the 1st movie.  Incidentally, I heard recently that in an early draft of the script for the 1st movie, Luke was like 65 years old.  For the franchise as a whole, t would have made more sense if he was, because then the timeline would make sense.

BTW, I was 18 when it came out.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on December 24, 2009, 11:45:05 AM
Knowing the majority of the forum was probably quite young when they saw Empire Strikes Back I'm curious how many people thought Darth was lying.

I was around 10 or 11 or so when TESB was released, and I had assumed that Vader was lying;  we had plenty of debates over all that. 
After all, he was going to do whatever it took to deliver young Skywalker to the Emperor or he would be destroyed in the process.

C'mon, and with that light saber duel? Did you see those hacks that Vader tried?  That wasn't a father.  That was someone trying to kill his opponent.  BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

So yeah, a lot of kids thought Vader was lying.  Then again, after Reagan's victory, we had all lost our innocence.

Josquius

The thought never hit me. I believed him totally. Why would he lie about that?
Also I probally saw it for the first time before I learned of lying.

But then my watching Star Wars was strange. I was born after all three of them were released and I have some elder cousins who when they were kids were crazy on the stuff and my mam quite likes her sci fi too so....I saw all of them before I was old enough to really get them all and they're just part of my upbringing.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Never even considered the possibility he was lying.  Seems to be a break line between 12 and 16 somewhere.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

stjaba

I didn't see TESB when it came out(was -6 years old at the time) but when I saw it I believed Vader. I think I was about 8 or so.
----

On a side note, I've been watching a good amount of Star Wars over the past two days- SPIKE has been running some sort of marathon. Yesterday, I watched a good portion of Episode III. I remember thinking at the time that it wasn't half bad. Re-watching it, the first thing that struck me was how little of the movie I remember. I only saw it once in full, but I've seen bits and pieces of it here and there, and the movie is simply not very memorable. And it wasn't very good either; the only reason I thought it was half decent at the time was in comparison to Episode 1.

Eddie Teach

All I remember from the second trilogy is JarJar and the light saber fights.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on December 24, 2009, 03:34:19 PM
I think I actually saw Return of the Jedi first, so yeah, I knew.  I wasn't born yet when it came out, but damn did I love ewoks when I was a kid!  Yub nub, bitches!

Apparently I was brought to ESB, but I don't remember it in the theatre.

I do remember going to see Jedi, and I absolutely loved it.  All you Ewok haters can go to hell.

BTW (and slightly off-topic) I thought Ewoks showed a more realistic portrayal of stone-age warriors fighting space age enemies than did Avatar.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

citizen k