News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Empire Strikes Back Question

Started by Savonarola, December 24, 2009, 11:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The first time that you saw ESB did you believe Darth Vader when he told Luke he was Luke's father

Yes
32 (74.4%)
Nooooooo!
11 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Savonarola

I read on IMDB that Lucas consulted with a child psychologist who told him that unless it was explicitly spelled out for younger viewers that Darth Vader was Luke's father they would assume that Darth Vader was lying.  This is why there is the scene in Jedi where Luke consults Yoda about his parentage.  Knowing the majority of the forum was probably quite young when they saw Empire Strikes Back I'm curious how many people thought Darth was lying.

I was seven when I first saw ESB in the theaters when it was first released and I remember I thought Darth was lying.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Monoriu

I felt the same way.  Actually, the first time I saw the movie, I thought it existed in an alternative universe, because there was no way the good guys would lose  :lol:

sbr

I think I was 9 (ESB was released in 1980 right?) and was sure he was lying.  I mean he had to be, there is no way that Vader is Luke's father.

Savonarola

Quote from: sbr on December 24, 2009, 11:50:23 AM
I think I was 9 (ESB was released in 1980 right?) and was sure he was lying.  I mean he had to be, there is no way that Vader is Luke's father.

According to IMDB, Empire Strikes Back was released May 21, 1980.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

katmai

How can Mark Hamill be the son of James Earl Jones, of course I thought he was lying!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

1977 SW
1980 ESB
1983 RotJ

katmai

Quote from: Savonarola on December 24, 2009, 11:52:00 AM

Yep saw it for my 7th birthday party.

sbr

Quote from: Savonarola on December 24, 2009, 11:52:00 AM

Thanks, that's what I thought, I turned 10 in September.

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on December 24, 2009, 11:52:27 AM
How can Mark Hamill be the son of James Earl Jones, of course I thought he was lying!

yankees and their race mixing. Mew.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lucidor

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 24, 2009, 12:08:13 PM

yankees and their race mixing. Mew.
Forgot to log out and back in with your sock, dude... ;)

MadImmortalMan

I didn't doubt Vader. I was 4 when it came out, but I'm sure I didn't see it until later.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

BuddhaRhubarb

David Prowse did all the physical stuff. :contract:  JEJ just provided "The Voice".

But yeah I figured at the time (I was 13) that it would turn out to be true somehow. And as we found out years later Luke's whinyness was genetic. as Young Vader made Luke seem stoic by comparison.
:p

katmai

I'm gonna smack you next time in Van if you think I didn't know that Buddha.

Josephus

I guess I was 14 or so.

I can't remember what I thought. I was 14. I think, though, I saw it a week after it opened, so the secret was out already.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011