News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I just came back from a firefight

Started by Siege, November 26, 2009, 05:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Yeah, good thing that the war is over. Hajj have been placing IEDs in a freeway in our AO. They drive by at night, stop and drop the IED on the road through a hole in the floor of their vehicle, and drive off while a diferent team detonates the IED by remote. This have little effect on our vehicles because we have electronic countermeasures that jams the remote's signal, but it does blows up the iraqi security forces and have the potential to disrupt the upcoming elections.

So we setted up an ambush, by having 2 strykers a klick off the road with our long range surveillance equipment watching the section of the freeway were they were operating, and 3 hummvees hiding in the underpasses at both ends of the section ready to block any vehicle stopping in the freeway. We have two humvees in the farthest south exit (teams 1 and 3), and my hummvee in the farthest north exit (team 2), which is the end of the freeway were it merges with Tampa. The security plan is both hummvees in the south will support each other, and I will be supported by the 2 strykers a klick off.

So, all kinds of vehicles are driving by, nobody stopping, until this cargo truck comes along, and stop in one of the really high overpasses that links up our freeway with MSR Tampa. The surveillance team see this, and we get the order to launch. Since I am the closest to the truck, I get there first, run to the drivers door, and I pull the fucker out of his seat face first into the asphalt, while my team secures the truck. We search the fucker and I start questioning him through my terp, and he says that he wasn't sure where he was suppose to go, and was waiting for another truck to get there so he could folllow. Teams 1 and 3 arrive to our position. They search the truck twice and find nothing. The second truck that the driver said he was waiting for, got there and we search it too. We find nothing.

We got nothing on these guys, so we let them go. The two trucks head south followed by the two hummvees with teams 1 and 3 to reassume their initial positions, while my hummvee starts heading back north. We haven't gone 100m away from the place we have searched the trucks, when my hummvee gets hit by small arms fire, coming from the ground below the freeway.

The whole ground under the freeway underpasses is a masive dump full with mountains of trash from the city. The fire comes from our 5 o'clock, hitting the right side and the rear of my hummvee. I order my driver to go black light, turning all the white lights off, going infrared, and to "flip the bitch", meaning turning the vehicle around to face the enemy fire. My .50 cal gunner in the turret on top of the hummvee automatically turns into the enemy and opens up. Since I got covering fire now, I get out of the hummvee, grab my M110 sniper rifle, and I set up on top of the guard rail that protects cars from falling off the overpass.

The enemy fire stopped the moment my .50 cal gunner opened up, so I look through my scope and I see two hajjs running away with AK 47s in their hands. They are about 300m away. Its a miracle that they even hit my hummvee from that far. But with my scope and my rifle, 300m is like shooting an elephant at point blank. You can't miss. I dropped the one running behind first, because I wanted the one running in the front to keep running. If I had shot the one in the lead first, the one in the trail would have dived for cover in the middle of the trash and we would have never found him again.

Still, after all was over, surveillance reported that they had seen muzle flash from 4 diferent weapons, so I only got two of the four fuckers that fired on us. I kept my team maintaining overwatch from the top of the overpass while team 1 and 3 went down into the trash piles to clear the area. They really hate me now. Iraqi police finally made it our position, and we send a whole platoon of them to search the trash. They picked up the bodies and bagged them.

One of the things that bothers me about this engagement is that our .50 cal gunners are equiped with regular NODs, with no optics mounted in the .50s, so they cannot see that far at night. Unless the enemy keep shooting, giving away their position with their muzle flashes, our .50 cal gunners cannot make the kill. Still, .50 cals are awesome as a suppresing weapon. When they start singing, the enemy have to either break contact or die fighting.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Monoriu

Great story.  Glad you are alive and well  :hug:

Siege

By the way, this is the first time I have fired my gun in this deployment. Things are really quiet compared to our last deployment. We have raided a few houses and captured a couple bad guys, but no firefights.

Our intell guys think its going to start to pick up as we get closer to the elections.

Siege

Our time is spent doing TST missions (time sensitive targets), picking up bad guys that intell identifies, training our iraqi counterparts, iraqi federal police, so they can finally take over everything so we can go back home and get ready for Afghanistan, and patrolling/observing/overwatching possible hot spots in our area of operations.

jimmy olsen

Siege, I'm glad your all right, but have you ever heard of operational security? Should you really be writing up AARs and posting them online the day after a battle?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

QuoteI get there first, run to the drivers door, and I pull the fucker out of his seat face first into the asphalt, while my team secures the truck. We search the fucker and I start questioning him through my terp, and he says that he wasn't sure where he was suppose to go, and was waiting for another truck to get there so he could folllow. Teams 1 and 3 arrive to our position. They search the truck twice and find nothing. The second truck that the driver said he was waiting for, got there and we search it too. We find nothing.
I hope you compensated him.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 26, 2009, 06:57:32 AM
Siege, I'm glad your all right, but have you ever heard of operational security? Should you really be writing up AARs and posting them online the day after a battle?
Yes.

Besides, I saw this episode of Generation Kill too.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on November 26, 2009, 07:14:48 AM
QuoteI get there first, run to the drivers door, and I pull the fucker out of his seat face first into the asphalt, while my team secures the truck. We search the fucker and I start questioning him through my terp, and he says that he wasn't sure where he was suppose to go, and was waiting for another truck to get there so he could folllow. Teams 1 and 3 arrive to our position. They search the truck twice and find nothing. The second truck that the driver said he was waiting for, got there and we search it too. We find nothing.
Why?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tamas

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on November 26, 2009, 07:17:10 AM
Why?
I wouldn't appretiate being thrown out of a truck face first into the road for doing nothing wrong.
██████
██████
██████

Fate

Quote from: Tyr on November 26, 2009, 07:40:08 AM
Quote from: Neil on November 26, 2009, 07:17:10 AM
Why?
I wouldn't appretiate being thrown out of a truck face first into the road for doing nothing wrong.
Siege is an Arab, so one cannot expect civilized behavior.

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on November 26, 2009, 07:40:08 AM
Maybe next time the guy shouldn't be a terrorist.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on November 26, 2009, 08:06:59 AM
Siege is an Arab, so one cannot expect civilized behavior.
What is the civilized thing to do in that situation?

Martinus