Filibusters, Supermajorities and the Constitution

Started by jimmy olsen, January 11, 2010, 08:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

As a general rule, I like filibusters. Gridlock is good.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2010, 08:56:49 AM
How odd the NYT didn't publish this article when the Democrats were in the minority and filibustered a billion judicial nominees.

First of all, it is an op-ed by an outsider, not an article.
Second of all, judicial nominations are unique; it is a separate branch of government, and the appointments are lifetime and irrevocable.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 11, 2010, 10:43:00 AM
How odd the NYT didn't publish this article when the Democrats were in the minority and filibustered a billion judicial nominees.

First of all, it is an op-ed by an outsider, not an article.
Second of all, judicial nominations are unique; it is a separate branch of government, and the appointments are lifetime and irrevocable.
I think Minsky is trying to filibuster this thread....    <_<

;)

Valmy

Sorta like how that now the Democrats are in power the Republicans are suddenly interested in limited government and preservation of State powers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."