And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama Bows to Jap Emperor

Started by derspiess, November 14, 2009, 09:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 15, 2009, 06:35:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2009, 06:19:04 AM
Wow, derspiess, you frequent a great site. I especially liked the comments under the article.

Calling the President "a half-nigger muslim dirtbag" is nowhere near the criticism Bush was getting from the left, no?

:huh:

I believe the Times is LA's main newspaper.
Yeah, it's probably the 2nd most important paper in the country after the New York Times.

Maybe the Washington Post can rival it for that position, but I can't think of any other that could.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on November 15, 2009, 06:34:31 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2009, 06:22:15 AM
Quote from: Kleves on November 15, 2009, 04:26:56 AM
Quote from: Zanza on November 15, 2009, 02:13:03 AM
I usually don't care much about symbolism, but as head of state he should not bow to other head of states.
Obama would bow to anyone if he thought it would make him more popular.

And the problem with that is exactly what?  :huh:

This approach can be problematic when actual resources are being expended, yes. But when we are talking about symbolic gestures that do not cost anything, isn't their only purpose to gain popularity? So as long as they serve the purpose (more people like it than not like it), those who do not like it are an inherent cost, and can be disregarded.

You really do not understand the significance of "symbolic gestures"?  :huh: The entire reason of their existence is that they carry meaning.

Their meaning is only what people think they mean - they do not carry any meaning that is independent of their perception. If the majority of people it was meant to affect like it, then it has a positive meaning. It's simple as that.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 15, 2009, 06:35:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2009, 06:19:04 AM
Wow, derspiess, you frequent a great site. I especially liked the comments under the article.

Calling the President "a half-nigger muslim dirtbag" is nowhere near the criticism Bush was getting from the left, no?

:huh:

I believe the Times is LA's main newspaper.

Then I guess it should moderate its comments section more.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 14, 2009, 11:50:40 PM
What an idiot.  Everyone knows the proper protocol when meeting Japanese leaders is to vomit upon them.

:yes:
GOP tested, mother approved.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Go ahead Obamites, defend this one-- tell me it's not a bow like you did a few months ago.  Or just go on about how it's not important as long as it makes the world "like" us (or Obama).
:blink:
Go ahead Obamaphobes attack this one more like.
What is the problem here?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on November 15, 2009, 07:26:30 AM

:lol:

Of course, a mere jumped up colonial should be scraping for royalty, right?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 15, 2009, 07:46:14 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 15, 2009, 07:26:30 AM

:lol:

Of course, a mere jumped up colonial should be scraping for royalty, right?
So you'd have no problem if this was an elected Japanese president he was bowing to?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on November 15, 2009, 07:54:16 AM
So you'd have no problem if this was an elected Japanese president he was bowing to?

I have a problem with the US President bowing as an inferior to anyone. He's practically 90 degrees, ffs.

Josquius

QuoteCould some of our resident Nipponologists (Jacob?) shed some light on bowing protocol?

I guess the "lower rank" gets to bow deeper, but does the location factor into it? I.e. would it be appropriate for the Tenno to request such a bow in the White House?
From what I read- non Japanese should avoid doing it at all as you will fuck it up and cause 'disrespect' (though it will also be understood due to you being a ignorant gaijin).
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 15, 2009, 07:58:01 AM
I have a problem with the US President bowing as an inferior to anyone. He's practically 90 degrees, ffs.
As Viking said bowing is the done thing in Japan. Its just like shaking hands in the west.
If you had to dance a merry little jig upon meeting someone in American culture then the Emperor would be dancing a jig in that photo too. Its just diplomacy.
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 15, 2009, 07:58:01 AM

At least he wasn't prostrate on the floor.  Wonder who he's saving that for

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on November 15, 2009, 08:02:31 AM
As Viking said bowing is the done thing in Japan. Its just like shaking hands in the west.
If you had to dance a merry little jig upon meeting someone in American culture then the Emperor would be dancing a jig in that photo too. Its just diplomacy.

And there's different bows for superiors, equals and inferiors. The angle of Obama's bow is way too low.

HisMajestyBOB

At least he didn't make out with the Emperor.

Could the C-in-C be dismissed for violating Don't ask, don't tell?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Zanza

The Brain

Maybe Obamanidas should consider things like glory, and freedom not being free.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 14, 2009, 11:50:40 PM
What an idiot.  Everyone knows the proper protocol when meeting Japanese leaders is to vomit upon them.

President Benson was the best. :worthy: