News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama Bows to Jap Emperor

Started by derspiess, November 14, 2009, 09:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

If it gets GOPtard panties in a bunch, then by all means, kiss the Emperor's feet.

PRC

Obama must now cut his belly open.

Syt

Could some of our resident Nipponologists (Jacob?) shed some light on bowing protocol?

I guess the "lower rank" gets to bow deeper, but does the location factor into it? I.e. would it be appropriate for the Tenno to request such a bow in the White House?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Here you go Akihito bowing.

In Japan Bowing is not the act of submission that it is in the west. It is something one does to one's equals and inferiors as well as to one's betters.

However, this bowing while shaking hands thing is done by Norwegian Royalty all the time.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

The deepest bow (45 degrees) is for superiors.

Sahib

Quote from: Zanza on November 15, 2009, 02:13:03 AM
I usually don't care much about symbolism, but as head of state he should not bow to other head of states.

What about descendants of the Sun godess?
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Mr.Penguin

I am sure they are just comparing shoe size... :P
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2009, 04:04:23 AM
The deepest bow (45 degrees) is for superiors.

Emperor of Japan gets a 45 degree bow.  King of Saudi Arabia gets a 65 degree bow.  Queen of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth gets an iPod with Obama's speeches.

Kleves

I usually don't care much about symbolism, but as head of state he should not bow to other head of states.
Obama would bow to anyone if he thought it would make him more popular.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

According to the pic Obama managed to squeeze a 5 degree bow out of the Emp. LIKE FOR LIKE
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Wow, derspiess, you frequent a great site. I especially liked the comments under the article.

Calling the President "a half-nigger muslim dirtbag" is nowhere near the criticism Bush was getting from the left, no?

Martinus

Quote from: Kleves on November 15, 2009, 04:26:56 AM

And the problem with that is exactly what?  :huh:

This approach can be problematic when actual resources are being expended, yes. But when we are talking about symbolic gestures that do not cost anything, isn't their only purpose to gain popularity? So as long as they serve the purpose (more people like it than not like it), those who do not like it are an inherent cost, and can be disregarded.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2009, 06:22:15 AM
Quote from: Kleves on November 15, 2009, 04:26:56 AM

And the problem with that is exactly what?  :huh:

This approach can be problematic when actual resources are being expended, yes. But when we are talking about symbolic gestures that do not cost anything, isn't their only purpose to gain popularity? So as long as they serve the purpose (more people like it than not like it), those who do not like it are an inherent cost, and can be disregarded.

You really do not understand the significance of "symbolic gestures"?  :huh: The entire reason of their existence is that they carry meaning.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2009, 06:19:04 AM
Wow, derspiess, you frequent a great site. I especially liked the comments under the article.

Calling the President "a half-nigger muslim dirtbag" is nowhere near the criticism Bush was getting from the left, no?

:huh:

I believe the Times is LA's main newspaper.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2009, 06:19:04 AM
Wow, derspiess, you frequent a great site.

Indeed.  The LA Times is a well known right wing radical rag.