News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Gun Registry Shot Down

Started by jimmy olsen, November 04, 2009, 10:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 05, 2009, 08:49:43 AM
Time for a gun buying hijack. I'm thinking of getting a Mauser 98K. Time for some sweet bolt action fun.

Go for a Lebel 1886.  Then go around and lance people with German last names.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Quote from: Grallon on November 05, 2009, 08:35:42 AM
I've said it before and i'll repeat it again: only the agents of the State should have weapons; the citizenry is far too irrational to be allowed with firearms.
Whatever makes you think the agents of the state are more rational? :blink:

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on November 05, 2009, 08:38:29 AM
Whoa, Blossom, that's like the very definition of tyranny. :blink:

Well he is in Canada, not the US. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Thank the gods that disturbing fetich isn't part of the canadian psyche - even less the quebecer psyche.

I've said it before and i'll repeat it again: only the agents of the State should have weapons; the citizenry is far too irrational to be allowed with firearms.

Thanks for reminding me why I like our lax gun laws in spite of lacking said fetish.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on November 05, 2009, 08:38:29 AM
Whoa, Blossom, that's like the very definition of tyranny. :blink:
No it isn't.  A tyranny is a government, particularily an oppressive one, where all the power of the state is vested in a single individual.

Moreover, the effectiveness of an armed citizenry in resisting the power of the government is seriously overrated.  Even the most backwards and gun-crazy area of the United States was not able to resist federal power when the feds decided to integrate the South.

In terms of public safety, long guns are essentially a wash.  There is a slight degree of danger, but they also provide some small protection from property crime.  It's not like we're talking about handguns here, which are entirely negative.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Quote from: Maximus on November 05, 2009, 09:25:52 AM

La Raison d'Etat of course.  :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Caliga

Quote from: Maximus on November 05, 2009, 09:25:52 AM
Bitch that was going to be followup post to whatever Grals responded with.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

My family has lots of guns. I grew up with them.

Personally, they were far too casual about them - as a kid, I very nearly did my brothers in - their own fault I might add! Parents never knew, still don't to this day. 

Carl will get introduced to real guns only when he's mature enough to understand and follow proper gun safety. Still, being able to shoot is a reasonable skill to have.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 04, 2009, 11:34:50 PM
What do you all think are the odds Tim's fired a gun before? 20%? Tim, don't answer yet.
He's still with us, for better or for worse, so I'd say 0%.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2009, 09:17:40 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 05, 2009, 08:49:43 AM
Time for a gun buying hijack. I'm thinking of getting a Mauser 98K. Time for some sweet bolt action fun.

Go for a Lebel 1886.  Then go around and lance people with German last names.

Should be in good condition, only dropped once.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 05, 2009, 10:35:58 AM
Should be in good condition, only dropped once.
Perhaps only once used - against superiors, 1917.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on November 05, 2009, 06:50:29 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 05, 2009, 03:52:08 AM
My application to the Marine Corp was turned down due to childhood asthma (which had since gone away), so no.
FUN FACT:  You do not need to be in the armed forces to fire guns!  :cool:

Yeah seriously Jimmy, don't you live around Providence or something?  Just get a part time job with the mob captain for your ward.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Thank the gods that disturbing fetich isn't part of the canadian psyche - even less the quebecer psyche.

You should spend some time in rural/nrothern Quebec.  You'll find plenty fo Quebeckers that own guns, and were quite perturbed by the gun registry.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on November 05, 2009, 05:39:17 AM
the real problem with the original bill was the database boondoggle it led to. If registration was simple and the execution had not been  ... a billion dollar overrun,  I don't think this would have had much of a political life.  Instead it became a symbol of Ottawa waste.

Not quite.  It was always a silly idea, and was never going to do a whole lot to help prevent crime.

But you are correct in that if the roll-out had gone smoothly, cheaply and on-budget it would be hard to get much traction to push for its repeal.  It would be a sunk cost.  But since it was horribly over-budget, and it still doesn't work very well (and to this day many, if not most, long guns are unregistered), opponents were able to overcome the political inertia and (maybe) get it repealed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 05, 2009, 02:50:06 PM
Yeah seriously Jimmy, don't you live around Providence or something?  Just get a part time job with the mob captain for your ward.

Right now he might get more opportunities working with the Yakuza or the tongs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?