News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Gun Registry Shot Down

Started by jimmy olsen, November 04, 2009, 10:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2009, 12:54:51 AM
Excellent news BTW - I've never seen the long gun registry solve a single crime.

Most killings in the US aren't done with long arms.

If we register cars I don't see why we can't register guns.  It makes sense.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on November 05, 2009, 07:32:51 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 05, 2009, 07:09:35 AM
It's not exactly down. It's going to be voted on again, go thru an hearing/commission & still hasn't passed the Senate yet.
The Senate?  That's not much of an impediment.

Well, they're old people. They don't all read fast. Especially now that Jacques Demers is one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2009, 07:40:27 AM
This, in the eyes of the gun lobby, is the natural progression:

* register guns
* tax guns
* continually raise the tax on guns (i.e. 'sin tax' them)
* ban guns
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on November 05, 2009, 07:52:44 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2009, 07:40:27 AM
This, in the eyes of the gun lobby, is the natural progression:

* register guns
* tax guns
* continually raise the tax on guns (i.e. 'sin tax' them)
* ban guns
I don't think it'd be possible to ever ban guns. Farmers need them.
Have guns ever been banned anywhere? (genuinly unsure here, I can't think of any examples)
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2009, 07:55:45 AM
Have guns ever been banned anywhere? (genuinly unsure here, I can't think of any examples)
I agree, and I think the last point is unlikely.  I do see there being an obvious progression from register -> tax, however.

Caliga

Oh, and in answer to your other question, IIRC it was illegal to own a handgun in DC from like 1975 to a year ago.  Amazingly, the murder rate did not: decline! :o

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on November 05, 2009, 08:01:20 AM
Oh, and in answer to your other question, IIRC it was illegal to own a handgun in DC from like 1975 to a year ago.  Amazingly, the murder rate did not: decline! :o
Thats a horrible example against gun control, I'm sick of it being trotted out.
Banning guns in just one city surrounded by a gun crazy nation will of course have no effect. You'd need cops searching every car coming into the city.

I was speaking more of countries there though.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2009, 08:21:11 AM
Banning guns in just one city surrounded by a gun crazy nation will of course have no effect. You'd need cops searching every car coming into the city.
But that's the point, really.  Why did anyone think such a ban would be effective in the first place?  Same reason why gun control will never work in the US if it doesn't happen on a federal level, which it never will thanks to our non-crazy Heartland. :)

Grallon

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2009, 08:21:11 AM
...a gun crazy nation ...

Thank the gods that disturbing fetich isn't part of the canadian psyche - even less the quebecer psyche.

I've said it before and i'll repeat it again: only the agents of the State should have weapons; the citizenry is far too irrational to be allowed with firearms.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Caliga

Quote from: Grallon on November 05, 2009, 08:35:42 AM
I've said it before and i'll repeat it again: only the agents of the State should have weapons; the citizenry is far too irrational to be allowed with firearms.
Whoa, Blossom, that's like the very definition of tyranny. :blink:

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on November 05, 2009, 07:57:08 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2009, 07:55:45 AM
I agree, and I think the last point is unlikely.  I do see there being an obvious progression from register -> tax, however.

Guns aren't taxed?  Slippery slope arguments are stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Caliga

I'm talking about an annual tax, like many people pay on their cars and land.

Ed Anger

Time for a gun buying hijack. I'm thinking of getting a Mauser 98K. Time for some sweet bolt action fun.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on November 05, 2009, 08:49:03 AM
I'm talking about an annual tax, like many people pay on their cars and land.

Guess it could happen but that doesn't seem likely.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.