News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Politics Thread

Started by crazy canuck, September 01, 2009, 04:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on October 08, 2009, 01:51:14 PM
Why do you insist on being disingenuous?  Did I say fake?  No.  I said staged.  You're simply being your hypocritical self as usual.  I'll remind you that when there's a function where the PM is invited there's bound to be someone with a camcell phone.  This was staged, and timed, to leak into the media in the wake of the Liberal discomfiture.  It's a prepup for the elections.
I tend to agree with you, re: the event in itself.  I think he knew piano and I think he did say before he likes the Beatles.  That's like Clinton playing Sax on whaterver Tonight Show he appeared back when he was running for presidency.

Of course he knew he would be filmed, and that would be leaked to the media.  I doubt he had his people film it and leak it themselves though.

Harper is a very intelligent man, that's what I like about him.  If playing some music is gonna gain him some votes, so be it. 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Here is an article from the Globe today saying the Tories are reaching 41% in the polls and would have a clear majority.   It doesnt surprise me that the dissatisfaction with Iggy which prompted me to make the OP is shared by a lot of Canadians but it does surprise me how fast and far the Liberals have dropped and even more surprised that the NPD were not able to benefit from that at all.

QuoteJane Taber

Ottawa — The Globe and Mail
Published on Thursday, Oct. 15, 2009 12:12PM EDT

Last updated on Thursday, Oct. 15, 2009 12:16PM EDT

Stephen Harper, the piano man and economic manager, is making Canadians so comfortable they want to see him win a majority government, according to a new national public opinion poll.

The EKOS Research survey conducted for the CBC shows that the Conservatives' substantial lead over Michael Ignatieff's Liberals is solidifying – a lead that now has the Tories knocking on the door of a majority government.

According to EKOS, the Tories now enjoy 40.7 per cent support compared to 25.5 per cent for the Liberals, 14.3 per cent for the NDP, 10.5 per cent for the Green Party and 9.1 per cent for the Bloc.

Two polls last week showed the same upward movement for the Conservatives, edging them into majority territory.

But EKOS has gone farther by plugging their numbers into a seat projection model that gives the Harper Conservatives 167 seats, a clear majority. They now have 143 seats.

The projections – all hypothetical – do not bode well for Mr. Ignatieff and his Liberals. It would give them 68 seats, meaning he would do worse than his predecessor, Stéphane Dion, who won 77 seats in the 2008 election.

The EKOS model gives the Bloc 50 seats, up from 47; the NDP 23 seats, which is a decrease of 13; and the Green Party would be shut out once again.

The poll of 2,729 Canadians was conducted between Oct. 7 and Oct. 13. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 1.9 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

"They're really taking off," EKOS president Frank Graves said of the Tories. Describing it as "fascinating," he noted as well that the pattern of Canadians retreating from the Tories when they see them moving into majority territory is not being repeated in his poll

Grallon

And I read the Liberals are at it again: plotting to unseat their leader in the hope of getting one that will appeal to a majority and give them back what they see as their god-given right: to rule Canada.  Personally I think such a move would simply disaffect even more canadians.  Perhaps an electoral defeat in the order of that of the conservatives in 1993 is what the LPC really needs to rethink itself?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on October 15, 2009, 11:55:59 AM
And I read the Liberals are at it again: plotting to unseat their leader in the hope of getting one that will appeal to a majority and give them back what they see as their god-given right: to rule Canada.  Personally I think such a move would simply disaffect even more canadians.  Perhaps an electoral defeat in the order of that of the conservatives in 1993 is what the LPC really needs to rethink itself?

G.

I agree with everything you said.

Neil

Yeah, 41% is pretty much instant majority territory.

I wonder if the Liberals are so keen to bring down the government now?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Gawd, who will save us?

Barack!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 15, 2009, 12:04:13 PM
Gawd, who will save us?

Barack!

Why do we need saving from the pianoman?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 15, 2009, 12:12:55 PM
He'll destroy Canada.

Barak is still busy with the US.  Nothing to fear from him here.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Barrister on October 08, 2009, 03:19:17 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 08, 2009, 02:16:47 PM
as to the former. You actually have no idea if that's true except in your own view of things. I'm not saying you aren't smart though, I'm saying it's not a hallmark of Conservatism. There is a difference.
Tell me - do you think that intelligence *is* a hallmark of some other ideology?

No and that either/or assumption though is a hallmark of narrow mindedness.

I love how you guys try to pigeonhole everything... if I criticize the Cons, I must be Pro Liberal? Nein. I don't like Iggy and his cadre of rich lawyers anymore than I do Harper and his. Equally depraved assholes not looking out for the huddled masses before their own hides. There are never only two choices politically.
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: viper37 on October 08, 2009, 04:49:53 PM
Quote from: Grallon on October 08, 2009, 01:39:02 PM
:rolleyes:  I'll simply refer you to all the conservative pundits and militants in the States, who've been screaming for months about death panels, Obama nazi police and other absurdities in the healthcare reform debate.  Critical thinking indeed!
There are idiots everywhere who let their emotions interfere with their judgement.

:yes: This is the most intelligent thing you have ever said on this board.

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 15, 2009, 12:28:28 PM
as to the former. You actually have no idea if that's true except in your own view of things. I'm not saying you aren't smart though, I'm saying it's not a hallmark of Conservatism. There is a difference.
Tell me - do you think that intelligence *is* a hallmark of some other ideology?

I love how you guys try to pigeonhole everything... if I criticize the Cons, I must be Pro Liberal? Nein. I don't like Iggy and his cadre of rich lawyers anymore than I do Harper and his. Equally depraved assholes not looking out for the huddled masses before their own hides. There are never only two choices politically.
Sure there are.  There are only two possible prime ministers of Canada right now:  Harper and Iggy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

You have established your creditentials as a political nihilist for quite some time.  I dont think anyone mistakes you as a supporter of anyone.

Btw, whats the problem with rich lawyers? :mad:

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2009, 11:57:28 AM
Yeah, 41% is pretty much instant majority territory.

I wonder if the Liberals are so keen to bring down the government now?

Wouldn't surprise me if Harper breaks his own "fixed election date" rule yet again, and dissolve the government. :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2009, 12:38:07 PM

Sure there are.  There are only two possible prime ministers of Canada right now:  Harper and Iggy.

doesn't mean either of them (or any of the other lesser parties either) are the right man for the job. Seems to me it;s a voting for the lesser evil scenario. For me personally it's not hard to choose however as locally which is the only way I can vote, neither the Libs or the Cons have any profile whatsoever. My riding is Orangier than an actual orange. So I'll vote NDP, because none of the other parties has an ice cube's chance in hell of getting more than a smattering of votes.

If there's actually another election this year. I may not vote for the first time ever. That's how much I dislike the whole bunch on the Hill however.