Utilities Take a Dim View of Solar Energy

Started by jimmy olsen, August 26, 2009, 04:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2009, 01:33:35 PM
Um...I said we need to stop proping up the Fossil fuels and having them manage our energy policy for us.  If we weren't fighting massive wars and running our foreign policy to secure FF supplies and so forth then maybe natural supply and demand would do the rest.

I was really going by what you said before.  Now how do we subsidize fossil fuels?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

What exactly are these "huge subsidies" towards fossil fuels?

:unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2009, 01:36:40 PM
I was really going by what you said before.  Now how do we subsidize fossil fuels?

I do not know exactly (though I have some basic ideas) that is what the Economist said.  But the foreign policy/military aspects are self evident.  So long as we continue to believe fossil fuels are essential as water and have our government working to keep supplies coming in and costs low...well what chance does anything else have?

The only thing I have said before is so long as we are going to be subsidizing fossil fuels we might as well subsidize their alternatives as well just to be fair.  I have always been against big subsidies for any energy beyond research money.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Speaking of solar panels, anybody know of a website that gives a vague idea of the cost without having to give out info so that a salesman will call repeatedly and bug the living shit out of me?

just curious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2009, 01:37:11 PM

From what I understand, favorable tax schemes and government money for exploration and exploitation of gas, coal, and oil sources and so forth.

Heck all around the world fossil fuels are a heavily government run monopoly.

But there is more to it than that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2009, 01:40:12 PM
Speaking of solar panels, anybody know of a website that gives a vague idea of the cost without having to give out info so that a salesman will call repeatedly and bug the living shit out of me?

just curious.

Shouldn't be too hard.  All you would need to do is figure out the total energy generated on average by a single solar module and then divide it by the amount you are paying and you can see how the cost per KW-H goes down per year.  Um...let me see if I can find you something later this afternoon.

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2009, 01:31:49 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on August 27, 2009, 01:26:54 PM
The 'alternatives will get better eventually' thing is a fine argument for research incentives.
It won't help executives put solar inefficient panels instead of a coal-powered turbine. Huge subsidies are needed for that.

So why then do the governments of the world spend billions every year proping up the fucking fossil fuels?  If they didn't then maybe the cost difference would not be so dramatic.

Precisely because there are no viable alternatives, so we find essential to secure fossil supplies. You have to understand that alternative sources are not just a tad most expensive. We're talking two, five, ten times the cost.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2009, 01:47:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2009, 01:40:12 PM

just curious.

Shouldn't be too hard.  All you would need to do is figure out the total energy generated on average by a single solar module and then divide it by the amount you are paying and you can see how the cost per KW-H goes down per year.  Um...let me see if I can find you something later this afternoon.

thanks, but I was think more of the cost of panels and installation. Every frickin' website wants my personal info so they can bug me.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on August 27, 2009, 01:49:28 PM
Precisely because there are no viable alternatives, so we find essential to secure fossil supplies. You have to understand that alternative sources are not just a tad most expensive. We're talking two, five, ten times the cost.

I am well aware of the current situation.  I am simply saying the main reason the fossil fuels are two, five, ten times cheaper is BECAUSE we work so hard to secure fossil fuel supplies and keep them coming.  If we worked as hard to get other supplies they would be as cheap as well simply due to economies of scale if nothing else.

It is nonsense to claim that there is a free market in energy.  The game is stacked against the competitors of fossil fuels.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2009, 01:50:00 PM
thanks, but I was think more of the cost of panels and installation. Every frickin' website wants my personal info so they can bug me.

Hmmm...this is surprisingly difficult to find because the prices have fallen so much this year due to decreased demand due to the recession and increased production.

Josquius

Rooftop panels FTW.

If only they weren't so darn expensive.

There's one bloke near where I love though who has made a wind turbine in his garden. It looks like one of those wild west windmill thingys.
██████
██████
██████

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2009, 01:37:11 PM

tax holidays. exploration grants. other policy tools.

of course, in Alberta they even "forget" to bill for royalties.
humans were created in their own image

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2009, 02:01:11 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2009, 01:50:00 PM

Hmmm...this is surprisingly difficult to find because the prices have fallen so much this year due to decreased demand due to the recession and increased production.

Screw it, I'm buying a Hummer.  :)

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2009, 01:32:19 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2009, 01:27:34 PM
:unsure: Are you saying that the technology is indeed perfect?

I was being very very sarcastic.
Oh, ok.  I thought you really thought that the technology was perfect, and was not just fucking with you to alleviate my boredom.

Valmy

Hey MB use this: http://www.solar-estimate.org/index.php?page=solar-calculator

All they need is your zip code no other info needed.

You have to scroll down a bit to get the actual money involved in $ per watt.  So it looks like a 1000W system would cost $9,000.  But it will vary a bit depending on who is installing it.