India Arie shares videos of Joe Rogan using N-word

Started by garbon, February 05, 2022, 05:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2022, 07:52:35 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 07, 2022, 07:48:45 PM
the problematic part was implying that there are women who enjoy being raped.

This is what we're debating.

Statutory rape is rape even if the woman was consenting and enjoyed the sex.  I'd argue that cases like statutory rape are exactly the kinds of victims-opinion-does-not-matter laws the professor was talking about.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

grumbler

On the N-word, I'd take Trevor Noah's argument one step further:  no one (not just white people) should use the N-word, because it can only get them in trouble.  Blacks seem to use the word to be edgy (none of the blacks I know, except maybe some of my students, feel the need to be edgy and I'm pretty sure none - except the students - of them use the word), but edgy is over-rated.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 08, 2022, 02:12:16 AM
Put the idea in his head.

Oh sorry... reading comprehension fail on my part. I thought you were making random book recommendations  :blush:

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on February 08, 2022, 10:51:59 AM
Statutory rape is rape even if the woman was consenting and enjoyed the sex.  I'd argue that cases like statutory rape are exactly the kinds of victims-opinion-does-not-matter laws the professor was talking about.

And qualifying with "statutory" would have knocked out several of the possible reasons for concern I mentioned.  Very significant modifier.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on February 08, 2022, 11:05:22 AM
On the N-word, I'd take Trevor Noah's argument one step further:  no one (not just white people) should use the N-word, because it can only get them in trouble.  Blacks seem to use the word to be edgy (none of the blacks I know, except maybe some of my students, feel the need to be edgy and I'm pretty sure none - except the students - of them use the word), but edgy is over-rated.

I guess then you get into the question of to what extent shouldn't you.
Are we talking murder or eating chocolate after you've brushed your teeth or any of a bazillion places in between.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on February 08, 2022, 11:27:26 AM
Quote from: grumbler on February 08, 2022, 10:51:59 AM

And qualifying with "statutory" would have knocked out several of the possible reasons for concern I mentioned.  Very significant modifier.

But "statutory" creates a more restricted case than the point he is making.  His argument isn't about statutory rape.  That's just an example.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on February 08, 2022, 01:18:50 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 08, 2022, 11:05:22 AM

I guess then you get into the question of to what extent shouldn't you.
Are we talking murder or eating chocolate after you've brushed your teeth or any of a bazillion places in between.

Isn't this entire discussion about the extent?  There are no black-and-white answers about anything.  Your observation seems like a tautology.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on February 07, 2022, 09:23:57 PM
Does his apology matter? Does it move the needle at all?

It matters quite a bit to me. I earnestly believe Rogan means well and just wants to have interesting conversations with people. But he has his biases and he was always a California hippie type guy.

And yeah the monkeys part bothered me much more, just because there are lots of reasons to say the N-word however misguided that may be...but the monkey comment is something you say when you really mean it. Obviously he has been a close friend and colleague to many black comedians and actors and athletes and other celebrities over the years and had many on his show over the years so I don't know. Sucks.

Man.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Surprisingly, I saw no comments re: Rogan on my family's Facebook pages (the most recent brief outrage was about Whoopie Goldberg's comments about Jews and the Holocaust on The View).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.