News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Prince Philip dead

Started by Threviel, April 09, 2021, 06:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

The curious thing is that he saw active service in the Falklands war. The government of the time wanted him to take a desk job but the Queen insisted he be allowed to serve in the frontline. So he flew his helicopter about rescuing people, spotting submarines and whatever else it is helicopter pilots do. He then went on to have a reasonable navy career.

So he is perfectly entitled to wear a uniform that he has actually earned, but instead wants to play at dressing up and earn the contempt of all right-thinking folk. I suppose he's a stupid pillock; that must be it.

The Larch

So it's a glorified tax collector, then?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2021, 06:46:36 AM
Apparently they collect quit rents (feudal taxes paid in lieu of other obligations) from the City of London. One is for two knives (one blunt and one sharp); the secod is for six horseshoes and 61 horseshoe nails (these are then loaned back to the City to present next year); and the third is £11.

So he's just holding a couple of the taxes he collects and I think the £11 are presented on a special cloth - maybe the one behind him? :hmm:

His headgear is begging to have a bowl of fruit put on it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2021, 06:49:09 AM
Yep. That's the purpose of "remembrancing" apparently - to remind the monarch who owes what on their taxes.

They also do the "Trial of the Pyx" when they check the quality and weight of money produced by the Mint. Apparently they're also responsible for supervising planting new trees in the forest of Dean. According to Wiki their other duties include nominating high sheriffs to each county by pricking their name in parchment, presenting the Lord Mayor of the City to the senior judiciary on Lord Mayor's Day and presenting Sheriffs of the City of London with the writ of their authority from the Queen.

Obviously it's a part time role :P Technically they're in the judiciary so it goes to whoever is the Senior Master (basically specific pre-trial/case and trial management judges) of one of the High Court divisions.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

There is a point where tradition-preserving becomes degrading parody. This is one of those cases.

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2021, 06:17:44 AM
God he's such a dick - as well, obviously, as a sex offender <_<

And also a Vice-Admiral since 2015.

See https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media/royal-navy-responsive/documents/useful-resources/navy_directory.pdf?la=en-gb&hash=06EAE4D98ACBB12DD39B4D69D69EC90D

[A little out of date as it, of course, still lists Phillip as the Lord High Admiral. :(]

I must admit I am not sure what the issue or the protocol is here.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

I mean that's nothing :lol: :P There's the Sisters of the Most Holy and Undivided Trinity, the Boy Bishop of Hereford, the Bearer of the Dog Whipper's Rod, the Sculptor in Ordinary, the Searcher of Santuary and the Keeper of the Great Clock (they look after Big Ben) :P
Let's bomb Russia!

ulmont

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2021, 08:11:16 PM
I think seeing this will be one of the things that really hits home how awful the rules on funerals must have been during covid - you can read about them and understand it in theory but actually seeing it will be different.

Yeah.  One of the members of my chess club, last March, couldn't have a funeral for his father at all, which sounded completely terrible and was a big "man, we're really fucked" moment.

Solmyr

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2021, 07:32:04 AM
I mean that's nothing :lol: :P There's the Sisters of the Most Holy and Undivided Trinity, the Boy Bishop of Hereford, the Bearer of the Dog Whipper's Rod, the Sculptor in Ordinary, the Searcher of Santuary and the Keeper of the Great Clock (they look after Big Ben) :P

Don't forget the baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2021, 06:57:56 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2021, 06:49:09 AM
Yep. That's the purpose of "remembrancing" apparently - to remind the monarch who owes what on their taxes.

They also do the "Trial of the Pyx" when they check the quality and weight of money produced by the Mint. Apparently they're also responsible for supervising planting new trees in the forest of Dean. According to Wiki their other duties include nominating high sheriffs to each county by pricking their name in parchment, presenting the Lord Mayor of the City to the senior judiciary on Lord Mayor's Day and presenting Sheriffs of the City of London with the writ of their authority from the Queen.

Obviously it's a part time role :P Technically they're in the judiciary so it goes to whoever is the Senior Master (basically specific pre-trial/case and trial management judges) of one of the High Court divisions.

It's like government by LARPers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Wondering what this job was...

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2021, 07:32:04 AM
the Bearer of the Dog Whipper's Rod

...led me to this great duty.  :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sluggard_waker

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on April 14, 2021, 07:30:11 AM
And also a Vice-Admiral since 2015.

See https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media/royal-navy-responsive/documents/useful-resources/navy_directory.pdf?la=en-gb&hash=06EAE4D98ACBB12DD39B4D69D69EC90D

[A little out of date as it, of course, still lists Phillip as the Lord High Admiral. :(]

I must admit I am not sure what the issue or the protocol is here.

Only an honorary Vice-Admiral.  He turned down a promotion to honorary Admiral because he was stepping out of public life in the wake of the Epstein stuff.  Now, apparently, he wants to accept the promotion he turned down, so he can go as an Admiral and not Vice-Admiral.

He should be told he is unfit for any uniform.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2021, 10:55:37 AM
Only an honorary Vice-Admiral.  He turned down a promotion to honorary Admiral because he was stepping out of public life in the wake of the Epstein stuff.  Now, apparently, he wants to accept the promotion he turned down, so he can go as an Admiral and not Vice-Admiral.

Ah, I see - it is a bit late to change his mind. He should be told to shut up and accept that he can't go as a full Admiral.

Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2021, 10:55:37 AMHe should be told he is unfit for any uniform.

Of course, everyone's free to have their own opinion about this.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Barrister

If he's "stepped away" from public duties he can damn well go as a civilian.

He's lucky he can go at all (though I wouldn't really deny anyone from attending their father's funeral).  But the optics would have been better without him.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

If the monarchy was really following tradition he would have been beheaded on Tower Hill, so Andrew should count his blessings.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."