News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Prince Philip dead

Started by Threviel, April 09, 2021, 06:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on April 09, 2021, 06:20:01 PM
Time to throw a first stone, apparently.  The world is a better place with one less "royal" in it, especially this one.

I mean you could probably write a similar article about most 90+ old dead person out there. Of course they are ancient relics of bygone eras.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Remember that pacific tribe who worship Philip as a god?
I decided to check how they are doing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2021/04/09/spiritual-succession-islanders-worshipped-prince-philip-god/

I do wonder about this lot. They're not as out of touch with the world as the frequent reporting let's on. It does seem they do much of it for attention /aid, so it is quite logical to update their beliefs like this.
But holy God emperor batman.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on April 11, 2021, 02:31:24 AM

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2021/04/09/spiritual-succession-islanders-worshipped-prince-philip-god/

I do wonder about this lot. They're not as out of touch with the world as the frequent reporting let's on. It does seem they do much of it for attention /aid, so it is quite logical to update their beliefs like this.

Cargo cults are complicated.  I do remember reading once that it may be form of political theater that makes sense in their culture but doesn't in ours.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2021, 08:35:28 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 11, 2021, 02:31:24 AM

Cargo cults are complicated.  I do remember reading once that it may be form of political theater that makes sense in their culture but doesn't in ours.

IDK. Plenty of people in the developed world seem to worship people like Steve Jobs or Musk, not to mention actors.

Tonitrus

By that standard, one might say millions of people worship their pets.

We've returned to the pantheon of Egypt and animal-headed deities.  :(

Oexmelin

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 11, 2021, 10:48:24 AM
By that standard, one might say millions of people worship their pets.

We've returned to the pantheon of Egypt and animal-headed deities.  :(

Indeed, considering they seem to have boundless compassion for their animals, and none for their neighbors.
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

Interesting colour:

Inevitably, fire begat fire and "Phil the Greek" was the subject of more than a few unflattering nicknames during his lifetime, some inspired by his decidedly non-British origins as the son of a German princess who married into the Greek royal family. The duke's approach to all this was neatly summed up in an anecdote published in Private Eye 1543, which we reproduce here because frankly it's too good not to:

Many years before, the Queen Mum had welcomed Prince Philip into the family by dubbing him "The Hun" while other courtiers called him "Charlie Kraut" or "Phil the Greek". Even saintly Princess Diana reportedly referred to him as "Stavros", although not to his face as his response might have been robust. He was sailing off the Isle of Wight one year when the skipper of another boat shouted: "Oi! Out of the way, Stavros!" Philip yelled back: "It's not Stavros, and it's my wife's fucking water so I'll do what I fucking well please." What a treat he would have been on Oprah.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Bloody hell - I thought all the rules were based on "reasonable excuses" and lists of things what that includes. I feel like letting someone sit next to a 90+ year old widow at her husband's funeral would be a reasonable excuse - I really hope people haven't been overly strict about this :(
QuoteReports have speculated that the Queen might have to sit on her own during the funeral in St George's chapel because Covid rules state that people must stay at least 2 metres apart from anyone who is not part of their household.

The Queen does not meet the requirements under the rules to join a support bubble because she does not live alone. However, a member of her Windsor Castle staff would be allowed to sit with her, and it seems unlikely the monarch will not have someone to accompany her at her husband's funeral.

The 30 mourners allowed at the ceremony under coronavirus rules must wear face coverings during the service and are not allowed to sing. Government rules state only one "professional" person can sing at funerals and only up to three individuals can sing "if it is essential to an act of worship".

I think seeing this will be one of the things that really hits home how awful the rules on funerals must have been during covid - you can read about them and understand it in theory but actually seeing it will be different.

Edit: And the royals have started doing "appropriate" events again.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

It is one of the things that lures me into net curtain twitching territory...the thought that people have had to put up with unsatisfactory funerals while others breach the rules on a whim  :(

The Larch

Very British Royal problems.

Sheilbh

God he's such a dick - as well, obviously, as a sex offender <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

This whole thing is such ridiculous farce in 2021.

Sheilbh

Let me introduce you to the Queen's Remembrancer :P

(Of course that is the last Queen's Remembrancer - the current one is a woman. So, progress.)
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

What's the symbolism of the horseshoe?  :P

Sheilbh

Apparently they collect quit rents (feudal taxes paid in lieu of other obligations) from the City of London. One is for two knives (one blunt and one sharp); the secod is for six horseshoes and 61 horseshoe nails (these are then loaned back to the City to present next year); and the third is £11.

So he's just holding a couple of the taxes he collects and I think the £11 are presented on a special cloth - maybe the one behind him? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!