News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

COVID vaccinations! Have you gotten yours?

Started by merithyn, March 08, 2021, 02:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

ROTW: Yes!
17 (39.5%)
ROTW: Not yet
1 (2.3%)
ROTW: Not destroying my godlike temple of a body with that bullshit
0 (0%)
US/Canada: Yes!
24 (55.8%)
US/Canada: Not yet
0 (0%)
US/Canada: Get that poison out of here, you commie bastard
0 (0%)
I am Jaron, and I am immune to your puny pandemics
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2021, 09:55:15 AM
I've only heard British people talk about that kind of tests, I actually have no idea what they entail. A quick online search only shows British sites talking about them.

Over here it's only PCR or antigens.

Yes only ever Brits. They are just rapid test, which I guess is also the antigens test.

I've only ever did 2 PCR tests and those were ~10 days ago. The minor symptoms of covid are something I have almost everyday. Unless I have a fever or lose smell/taste, I see no point of using a rapid test.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

DGuller

Whenever I hear of lateral flow here, I can't help but picture a stream of urine going sideways.

Syt

You can do free gargle PCR tests here. The results take up to 24 hours to arrive, so that's a bit of a bummer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 20, 2021, 07:12:13 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 20, 2021, 03:51:54 PM
Just got my booster. Went with Pfizer for the 3rd, actually changed from my planned Moderna at the last minute (they had both and gave me the choice).

90 minutes later and I feel fine!

Same here, except I got the Moderna (got Pfizer for the first two). So far so good!
Also got my flu shot, though probably too late since I'm pretty sure I got the flu back in September.

Update: I got all of the side effects last night. Fever, chills, nausea, muscle and join pain, headache, tiredness and unable to sleep. Ugh. 
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2021, 10:14:38 AM
You can do free gargle PCR tests here. The results take up to 24 hours to arrive, so that's a bit of a bummer.
After 18 months what I wouldn't give for a gargle test :x

Yeah here it's the lateral flow tests which are the less accurate (but still good) rapid tests. You can get free boxes of seven tests from loads of places - government website, pharmacies, libraries, GP surgeries etc. They're just the day to day do at home and get a result at home tests. So I'd always do them for a few days before going out to something earlier in the year. When offices re-opened I did them probably every 2-3 days. I think if you've got kids in school you need to do the whole household every day etc.

Then there's the PCR which is also free but either at the walk-in/drive-by testing stands or delivered. It's similar you get the result in 24 hours. I think NHS and care home staff get PCRed very regularly, but otherwise it's really if you had a positive lateral flow, have symptoms or have been in contact with someone with covid (although this is all just declaring stuff on a website so...).
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 21, 2021, 10:40:07 AM

Yeah here it's the lateral flow tests which are the less accurate (but still good) rapid tests. You can get free boxes of seven tests from loads of places - government website, pharmacies, libraries, GP surgeries etc. They're just the day to day do at home and get a result at home tests. So I'd always do them for a few days before going out to something earlier in the year. When offices re-opened I did them probably every 2-3 days. I think if you've got kids in school you need to do the whole household every day etc.

Then there's the PCR which is also free but either at the walk-in/drive-by testing stands or delivered. It's similar you get the result in 24 hours. I think NHS and care home staff get PCRed very regularly, but otherwise it's really if you had a positive lateral flow, have symptoms or have been in contact with someone with covid (although this is all just declaring stuff on a website so...).

Thanks Shelf, I never knew that, I'll get a couple in for Xmas visiting.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 21, 2021, 10:40:07 AM

It's cool but it can be so long to fill up 5ml of gargle. My kids take upwards of 20mins.

The Larch

Over here PCR test are the standard, antigen tests have only recently been made available, and I don't think you can do any of them at home, you have to go either to a clinic or a pharmacy to get one done.

It's funny how in some countries testing is almost everywhere and easily available and in others it's still a much more regimented affair.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on December 21, 2021, 07:50:10 AM
Quote from: Josephus on December 21, 2021, 06:42:01 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2021, 03:08:39 AM
The father of my sister-in-law is in the ICU. He already had his booster  :(

He's in his 70s. Fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear that..... :( Hope he recovers soon.

FWIW, I mentioned a while ago, my brother, who is 50, was in ICU with COVID a while back. He has made a pretty good recovery. He still requires supplemental oxygen now and then but he's far better than we thought he'd be by Christmas.

:)

Good to hear, Jos. what an excellent Xmas 'present' for the family to have, as I guess you guys were pretty worried at one stage.

Yes. The initial diagnosis was pretty grim.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2021, 11:31:38 AM
Over here PCR test are the standard, antigen tests have only recently been made available, and I don't think you can do any of them at home, you have to go either to a clinic or a pharmacy to get one done.

It's funny how in some countries testing is almost everywhere and easily available and in others it's still a much more regimented affair.

Yeah, that's the Quebec experience too. Rapid test started being distributed at large...yesterday. And the current recommendation is to only use it when having symptoms.

Admiral Yi

Day after booster, arm is sore but that's it.

crazy canuck

I got the text telling me to make my booster appointment - getting it at 12:10 today.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on December 21, 2021, 10:06:36 AM
Whenever I hear of lateral flow here, I can't help but picture a stream of urine going sideways.

You know it's ok to sit down.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

No it's not.

I thought of mucous flowing from one side of your face to the other.