And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: fromtia on November 04, 2020, 10:08:21 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 04, 2020, 10:00:03 AM

The demographics is destiny approach the Dems have believed since forever is dead now. They need to find a way to win rural voters the way Obama had done. They can't keep getting cleaned out in the sticks.

I wish they would put it to bed. Squeak a narrow win with a neo liberal shape shifter and have the pundocracy declare that the future is Blue because: reasons. Make it stop.

Biden represented a return to normalcy not the future. After him there are no neo-Liberals left.

I know I predicted this four years ago and have mostly been wrong so far but I had no idea all these 80 year olds were going to be hanging around still in power in the party. Maybe in four years I am talking about how amazing it is that Nancy Pelosi won re-election as a head in a jar.

But I think the party is about to shift leftwards in a big way. It is either that or the party falls apart. I haven't checked the results for the progressive candidates to see if they out-performed the party in general though.

The left is pissed, they think the party has sold out to corporate interests and is weak. All the new leaders and super stars coming up are leftists. There is only so long these ancient mummified third wayers from 30 years ago can go on...surely. They either seize control of the party or it falls apart. That's my feeling.

I will have to figure out what I think of that when and if it happens.

I will need some time to look at the Texas results to get a good feeling for what happened here. Obviously it was disappointing as the suburbs shifted back redwards but the actual impact of that on the balance of power is not clear yet. I think we did much better than 2016 though, just not as good as 2018.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2020, 10:58:17 AM
Maybe in four years I am talking about how amazing it is that Nancy Pelosi won re-election as a head in a jar.

Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer need to be purged now. I don't care if Biden wins - it is a total failure that you lose house seats and can't win the senate with this map in a year that has this much shit going wrong. This is probably the biggest dumpster fire year for America since we entered the great depression and incumbent party basically breaks even in the election. By a reasonable standard I would have expected this to be 1932.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

So a disturbingly large number of Americans saw four years of lies, pandering to white supremacy groups, a senate majority that caved in to it all and decided they liked what they saw.

Biden will likely win the Presidency by a slim margin but the Senate will block everything for four years and people like DerIdiot will cheer them on.  Trumpism is alive and well.

Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alfred russel

On predictit, Arizona is down to 84% and Biden overall 82%.

My company gave me yesterday off to vote, which was bullshit because it took 5 minutes. They should have given me today off, because obviously no work is going to get done.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Pelosi needs to go yesterday. I am willing to tolerate anybody, freaking AOC, anybody. Let's just get somebody with a cause and message to get the party united. Especially if Biden ends up winning, as anti-Trumpism isn't going to work as well as a cause without Trump around.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

chipwich

Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2020, 11:04:00 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2020, 10:58:17 AM
Maybe in four years I am talking about how amazing it is that Nancy Pelosi won re-election as a head in a jar.

Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer need to be purged now. I don't care if Biden wins - it is a total failure that you lose house seats and can't win the senate with this map in a year that has this much shit going wrong. This is probably the biggest dumpster fire year for America since we entered the great depression and incumbent party basically breaks even in the election. By a reasonable standard I would have expected this to be 1932.

What do Pelosi and Schumer have to do with national election results?

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2020, 11:05:25 AM
So a disturbingly large number of Americans saw four years of lies, pandering to white supremacy groups, a senate majority that caved in to it all and decided they liked what they saw.

Biden will likely win the Presidency by a slim margin but the Senate will block everything for four years and people like DerIdiot will cheer them on.  Trumpism is alive and well.

Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a chance again in November 2022.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2020, 11:08:05 AM
Pelosi needs to go yesterday. I am willing to tolerate anybody, freaking AOC, anybody. Let's just get somebody with a cause and message to get the party united. Especially if Biden ends up winning, as anti-Trumpism isn't going to work as well as a cause without Trump around.

Odd because it appears that many in the house who lost, did so when their opponents succesfully linked them to Liberal Pelosi. How would AOC help that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Yeah, I don't think replacing one lightning rod for conservative hate with another would be a good strategy.  Let AOC be Bernie's successor when he retires/dies.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 04, 2020, 11:13:15 AM

Odd because it appears that many in the house who lost, did so when their opponents succesfully linked them to Liberal Pelosi. How would AOC help that?

Dude, I am not endorsing AOC as the new Speaker just expressing how important I think it is to get somebody else in there that even the seemingly worse choice might be better.

alfred russel

Quote from: chipwich on November 04, 2020, 11:09:15 AM

Who else is responsible for a collective failure in the House and Senate?

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2020, 11:14:30 AM

Dude, I am not endorsing AOC as the new Speaker just expressing how important I think it is to get somebody else in there that even the seemingly worse choice might be better.

Which is why I don't follow. I'm not sure why just anyone is better than Pelosi.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2020, 10:32:16 AMThey'll definitely keep the Senate now. 

One silver lining is that Republicans are probably going to be a lot less willing to go along with Trump's banana republic tactics now that they know that they still have the Senate, the filibuster, and the Supreme Court.  They don't need to break the system that still would disproportionately benefit them.

I've lost that hope - as long as Mitch runs the senate, they will continue to make a mockery of things, because apparently that's what their base wants.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2020, 11:14:44 AM
Quote from: chipwich on November 04, 2020, 11:09:15 AM

Who else is responsible for a collective failure in the House and Senate?

Igor Kurchatov?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

On the main road entering Atlanta, there was a big Trump billboard. It had a picture of trump, statement to Vote Trump, and the tagline,

"Its America vs. Communism"