Main Menu

The Real problem with cancel culture

Started by viper37, July 12, 2020, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2021, 01:03:02 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2021, 12:59:16 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2021, 07:29:38 PM
Look at the treatment BB usually receive for defending conservative values.
I've been called a racist multiple times by CC and Jacob for being anti-Canadian Liberal Party and pro-Conservative party.

I would be very interested in seeing a link to any time anyone has called you a racist in this forum. 

BB's treatment is consistent with one who defends positions taken by the conservative wing of the Conservatives.

It's nice to see you admit that you harass people based on the politics they express.

Your reading comprehension is as good as Viper's. 

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2021, 01:06:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2021, 11:17:04 AM
Also, who doesn't experiment in college?

Most people here would be fired if they experimented being Indian while in college.

Untrue, I experimented with being Indian in graduate school and I was awarded a Masters of Science in Electrical Engineering; which was odd since I was in the College of Fine Arts.  Even though that crushed my dreams of being a famous puppeteer I decided to make the best of it.  My advisor was remarkably understanding; he said it happens a lot more often than you'd think.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

I've been called a racist multiple times by CC and Jacob for being anti-Canadian Liberal Party and pro-Conservative party.

I would be very interested in seeing a link to any time anyone has called you a racist in this forum. 

BB's treatment is consistent with one who defends positions taken by the conservative wing of the Conservatives.

Raz has many times.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2021, 01:07:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2021, 01:03:02 PM

It's nice to see you admit that you harass people based on the politics they express.

Your reading comprehension is as good as Viper's.

:lmfao:  Irony isn't just the opposite of wrinkly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

chipwich

I've called Viper a racist. Because he is. Quebec separatism is a white nationalist program and Viper himself has compared the cause to that of the Confederacy.

Jacob

Quote from: chipwich on November 19, 2021, 10:09:55 PM
I've called Viper a racist. Because he is. Quebec separatism is a white nationalist program and Viper himself has compared the cause to that of the Confederacy.

That's cool, but I haven't. Viper just has a weird fantasy in his head where he makes up stuff about me on a semi-regular basis. And that's a bit weird.

viper37

2 elections ago, when Justin became our PM.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

[/b]

in the sense that both held democratic vote on their independance, yes.

I've also linked the Confederacy with the US & Texan independance movement from the British Empire and Mexico respectively.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2021, 05:31:45 PM
[/b]

This is at least the third time you have made this claim (That the Confederacy held a democratic vote on its formation). Each time I have refuted it, and each time you ignore that refutation and then go and repeat it again.

Why is that?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on November 20, 2021, 02:49:12 AM

That's cool, but I haven't. Viper just has a weird fantasy in his head where he makes up stuff about me on a semi-regular basis. And that's a bit weird.

I think he has admitted to racism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Berkut on November 21, 2021, 02:20:37 PM
[/b]

This is at least the third time you have made this claim (That the Confederacy held a democratic vote on its formation). Each time I have refuted it, and each time you ignore that refutation and then go and repeat it again.

Why is that?

I don't think viper is racist, I think he's a hardcore separatist and will always side with them regardless of the circumstances.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: HVC on November 21, 2021, 03:12:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 21, 2021, 02:20:37 PM
[/b]

Why is that?

I don't think viper is racist, I think he's a hardcore separatist and will always side with them regardless of the circumstances.

I don't think he is a racist either.

And I don't find his bit about the Confederates being formed democratically that crazy. It's an understandable mistake when you don't think about it TOO much.

But it's been corrected several times now, and he refuses to even acknowledge the argument. Maybe I am wrong, but I think it is a pretty iron-clad argument that you cannot consider a vote "democratic" if it excludes the very people the vote is intended to effect!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

We're not white.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien