Main Menu

The Real problem with cancel culture

Started by viper37, July 12, 2020, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on November 21, 2021, 02:20:37 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2021, 05:31:45 PM
Quote from: chipwich on November 19, 2021, 10:09:55 PM
I've called Viper a racist. Because he is. Quebec separatism is a white nationalist program and Viper himself has compared the cause to that of the Confederacy.
[/b]

in the sense that both held democratic vote on their independance, yes.

This is at least the third time you have made this claim (That the Confederacy held a democratic vote on its formation). Each time I have refuted it, and each time you ignore that refutation and then go and repeat it again.

Why is that?

More democratic than Athens /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

chipwich

Approx 1 in 4 Athenians were slaves vs 1/3 of confederates, including the marginal Missouri and Kentucky. So no.

Berkut

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 21, 2021, 05:29:23 PM
I've called Viper a racist. Because he is. Quebec separatism is a white nationalist program and Viper himself has compared the cause to that of the Confederacy.
[/b]

This is at least the third time you have made this claim (That the Confederacy held a democratic vote on its formation). Each time I have refuted it, and each time you ignore that refutation and then go and repeat it again.

Why is that?

More democratic than Athens /shrug

....and if Athens had a vote on slavery, and someone said "See, its fine! They voted democratically for slavery!" I would mock them for calling that "democracy" as well.

And wonder at their actual intellectual and principled position, since it was clearly NOT based on giving one single shit about democracy.

I don't know that he is a racist, but it seem pretty fucking clear he doesn't actually care about "democracy".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

The Union wasn't a democracy either, as women didn't have the vote.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: chipwich on November 21, 2021, 07:20:03 PM
Approx 1 in 4 Athenians were slaves vs 1/3 of confederates, including the marginal Missouri and Kentucky. So no.

Majority of free men weren't citizens either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2021, 08:32:53 PM

Of course it was a democracy, it just wasn't a very good one.

And if we were having a discussion about womens rights, and you said "See, there was nothing wrong with denying the women the right to vote, after all, that was arrived at democratically by having a vote on it that did not include women!" it would be very fair to say you probably don't actually care much about democracy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Hey!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2021, 09:04:20 PM

Hey!

Don't complain, he raised Missouri up to "marginal"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

frunk

WTF had an episode about comedians who are complaining about being cancelled, and how the complaint isn't new or remotely original.  They trace it back to the mid 19th century and how it almost always comes down to the comedian or journalist whining about how they "won't be funny" unless they can rip on the current minority or vulnerable group.  It also delves into the fact that actual censorship of comedians in the US now is minimal compared to past laws and restrictions.  The largest source of censorship of comedians now is almost completely accepted and hardly ever a source of complaints, the toning down of acts for network late night tv shows.

Canceled Comedy

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2021, 08:32:53 PM

The Union didn't secede.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on November 21, 2021, 03:12:06 PM
[/b]

Why is that?

I don't think viper is racist, I think he's a hardcore separatist and will always side with them regardless of the circumstances.
And hardcore federalists, like Jean Chrétien, will always side with Canada, no matter how wrong it is.  Like his recent comments on indigenous boarding schools that barely registered in English Canada, and only gain short traction in the news here.

We all have our loyalties.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

On cancel culture and the earlier talk of woke being a negative word only used by the anti woke...

BBC News - Don't call young people 'woke', says leading head teacher
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-59347577
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It has also been talked about in the French primary of the right where they discussed "wokeisme" as a dangerous imported American far-left ideology infecting the French education system/Republic :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

[/b]

Why is that?

I never read these comments.  Sorry, I do not read 100% of what is written.

It's not as democratic as I would expect of a modern democracy, but for the time, it was as democratic as other States aiming to achieve independence.  The legislative assemblies of each States met to decide their future.

Their reasons were flawed, of course, slavery was not worth fighting a war over with.  But fighting to keep the States by force inside the Union was equally evil.  Just like the Mexicans invading Texas to end their independence bid or Great Britain invading the US instead of negotiating in good faith with their colonies.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 22, 2021, 08:43:52 AM
It has also been talked about in the French primary of the right where they discussed "wokeisme" as a dangerous imported American far-left ideology infecting the French education system/Republic :lol:
It is true.  It's mostly based on American politics and history and is not grounded in facts elsewhere.  Every country has its problems, no need to import the ones of others.