Started by viper37, July 12, 2020, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2021, 08:25:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2021, 07:01:57 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 18, 2021, 05:08:15 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2021, 04:23:50 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 18, 2021, 03:41:20 AM
Because that's the dominant usage of the word in 2021.

And so what?

Are you warning those of us here who are critiquing wokism that we run the risk of being mistaken for far right nutters?
It's not about criticising or supporting "wokism". Seeing the world in those terms and throwing around the word "woke" is exclusively the domain of the critics who are arguing with a fictional foe.
"Woke" hasn't been much used as a positive term for progressive thinking for a decade. (I blame burger King. Or probably not but that's where I last possibly saw it several years ago. Even then they were likely ironic).

I think you might be overgeneralizing. I know black Americans who use it as a positive term.

You know black Americans? :yeahright:

Anytime he walks by a mirror :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

I don't know, garbon doesn't strike me as a person who knows himself.

The Brain

I only know myself in the Biblical sense.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2021, 09:33:01 AM
Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2021, 09:29:14 AM
I don't know, garbon doesn't strike me as a person who knows himself.

:huh:

didn't you pretend to to be indian for a while? i mean that might count as a strike against you :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

garbon

We are talking about events 15 years old?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also, who doesn't experiment in college?

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2021, 11:16:23 AM

We're moving a rock that had a bad name used 100 years ago, so why not :D

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2021, 12:19:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2021, 11:17:04 AM

Probably 80-90% of Languishites.
We don't go to college. We emerge cynical and bitter, skipping the optimistic idealism of college all together.
PDH!

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on November 18, 2021, 12:26:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2021, 11:16:23 AM

We're moving a rock that had a bad name used 100 years ago, so why not :D

No one on languish is moving that rock.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2021, 04:23:50 AM
Are you warning those of us here who are critiquing wokism that we run the risk of being mistaken for far right nutters?
It's been pretty much the case for anyone criticizing left wing antics.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2021, 11:17:04 AM

Most people here would be fired if they experimented being Indian while in college.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017