JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 05:16:09 AM
You've really ever heard of Ed Gein?
Yeah - that's the inspiration for Psycho and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But there's so many others - Dressed to Kill, obviously Silence of the Lambs, there's a few Giallo and video nasties with it too. It's so much a trope that I think it's actually one of the gags in Scary Movie. Obviously doesn't mean the films are bad - Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Silence of the Lambs are absolute classics. Edit: God I forgot The Skin I Live In - not sure if that's necessarily horror though, but probably given clear links with Eyes Without A Face...

The description of this aspect of Rowling's book is being disputed. The whole scandal comes from one review in the Telegraph and other people who've read the book are saying it's not a major plot point and it actually barely features. So we don't know yet - more shockingly this book (a detective novel) is over 900 pages which is outrageous. I mean I love detective fiction but that is excessive <_<

Edit: Of course there's a wider and really rich queer critical theory with horror films especially (similarly feminist criticism of horror is almost always worth reading/interesting) because so much of horror rests on subversion of expectations/norms that's precisely what is used to make things unsettling. So obviously given general society queerness has been part of that. Also, in the US especially, there is typically some sort of "justice" to the horror (again - this is sent up in Scary Movie). It's a bit less common in European horror traditions. Also thre is an emphasis on physicality and the body in horror films which probably also helps explain some of the recurance.

Edit: Also - there's even an element of transvestism in Theatre of Blood (obviously Vincent Price has a queer moment as the hairdresser for the Henry VI murder) but I think there's a fair few cross-dressing moments from Dame Diana Rigg.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 17, 2020, 05:44:59 AM
The description of this aspect of Rowling's book is being disputed. The whole scandal comes from one review in the Telegraph and other people who've read the book are saying it's not a major plot point and it actually barely features. So we don't know yet - more shockingly this book (a detective novel) is over 900 pages which is outrageous. I mean I love detective fiction but that is excessive <_<

Guardian review suggests it is just one of the known killers that the detective considers. They also say this (in a brief pause from being outraged about how new outlets might base reporting on just one source):

QuotePerhaps some will still consider this depiction transphobic, given Rowling's rightly widely criticised views on trans people. It is, at best, an utterly tone-deaf decision to include an evil man who cross-dresses after months of pain among trans people and their allies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

What has happened that brought pain to trans people and their allies?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2020, 04:49:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2020, 12:11:11 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 14, 2020, 12:01:30 PM
So her new crime book "Troubled Blood", written under her pseudonym Robert Galbraith, is about a man who dresses up as woman to kill other women. Besides the premise not being original (see: Dressed to Kill), I assume she's just trolling at this point?

So I think that ends that discussion.
Why? :)

Why is having a serial killer book so bad if it's a transvestite? Is it worst than having a white hetero serial killer?  A gay black serial killer would indicate homophobia and racism?  Does a book about muslim terrorists attacking the US means the author is islamophobic and want to convince you of his opinion?

Write a book with a transvestite serial killer- that's fine. No issues there.
Write a book with a transvestite serial killer at the same time as you're making headlines by insisting transexuals aren't real and general transphobic comments..... There's a pattern there.
██████
██████
██████

chipwich

Josquius

Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 07:13:51 AM
JK Rowling never said transexuals aren't real you damn lair.
Denying that transsexual women are women= essentially saying transsexuals aren't real.
██████
██████
██████

chipwich

What makes vermin like Tyr think it's acceptable to brazenly lie? Did his mother raise him like that?

garbon

True, she said that she fears many individuals who label themselves as transgender may have felt pressured to adopt that label by current trans activism.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on September 17, 2020, 07:20:42 AM
Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 07:13:51 AM
JK Rowling never said transexuals aren't real you damn lair.
Denying that transsexual women are women= essentially saying transsexuals aren't real.

Not the same thing at all.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 07:23:24 AM
What makes vermin like Tyr think it's acceptable to brazenly lie? Did his mother raise him like that?

Have you never read a post by Tyr before? His perspective on things is rather unique, just because his views seem odd or mistaken to you doesn't mean he is "vermin" or lying. Come on man we have all been here for 14 years, no need for this posturing and pearl clutching. None of us are impressed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on September 17, 2020, 05:36:28 AM
It is also because that particular scenario, a male predator passing as a woman in order to prey on other women with ease, is precisely one of the reasons she puts forward so bathroom laws and the like are not enacted.
we know she has issues with that, a constant fear that she will be assaulted again, and her only safe place could be compromised by an ennemy in disguise.

this her rational, not totally devoid of sence, but not exactly a realistic fear either.  But she was a victim of sexual assault, and such things can warp perspectives.

I don't see such particular novels as being transphobic, no more than gay killers in movies are homophobic.  There have been a few transgendered serial killer in the past, so it's not exactly inexistant.  No one would bat an eye if the serial killer was a white heteronormative man, even if serial killers are kinda rare compared to their appearance in novels, movies and tv shows. 

Since there are a lot more serial killers in the media than in reality, it stands to reason that there would be more transgendered or gay serial killers in medias than in reality.

A crime novel where a jealous man kills his wife and kids would be short, boring, and badly received, even though that's probably the majority of murders in our countries.
A novel picturing white police officers kiling a black man with 16 bullets in his back would equally be badly received, even if it's a very plausible thing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on September 17, 2020, 07:04:38 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2020, 04:49:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2020, 12:11:11 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 14, 2020, 12:01:30 PM
So her new crime book "Troubled Blood", written under her pseudonym Robert Galbraith, is about a man who dresses up as woman to kill other women. Besides the premise not being original (see: Dressed to Kill), I assume she's just trolling at this point?

So I think that ends that discussion.
Why? :)

Why is having a serial killer book so bad if it's a transvestite? Is it worst than having a white hetero serial killer?  A gay black serial killer would indicate homophobia and racism?  Does a book about muslim terrorists attacking the US means the author is islamophobic and want to convince you of his opinion?

Write a book with a transvestite serial killer- that's fine. No issues there.
Write a book with a transvestite serial killer at the same time as you're making headlines by insisting transexuals aren't real and general transphobic comments..... There's a pattern there.
do you think she wrote the book and had it corrected in two months?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson