JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

chipwich

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2020, 11:09:37 AM
Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 07:23:24 AM
What makes vermin like Tyr think it's acceptable to brazenly lie? Did his mother raise him like that?

Have you never read a post by Tyr before? His perspective on things is rather unique, just because his views seem odd or mistaken to you doesn't mean he is "vermin" or lying. Come on man we have all been here for 14 years, no need for this posturing and pearl clutching. None of us are impressed.

I honestly can't tell the Anglo-Canadian Woke Squad apart so I don't have a good read on Tyr's not-so-unique posing style. We've all been in Trumpworld for 4 years and I am absolutely sick of these vermin who have made lying into a religion. And it is not out of line to call them vermin- it's what they are, a swarm of disease carriers.

edit: I will cop to pearl-clutching. There's no other type of discussion to be had with someone who just makes shit up. It's no different than communicating with a Trump voter.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on September 17, 2020, 07:20:42 AM
Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 07:13:51 AM
JK Rowling never said transexuals aren't real you damn lair.
Denying that transsexual women are women= essentially saying transsexuals aren't real.
not really, no.

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2020, 07:29:05 AM
True, she said that she fears many individuals who label themselves as transgender may have felt pressured to adopt that label by current trans activism.
pointing the finger toward current trans activism may be going a step too far, but do you sometimes question yourself as to why there are so many transgendered people lately?  How is it possible that so many people are convinced to be born in the wrong physical body?  Why is that condition so prevalent now?
I think psychology and psychiatry still have a lot of work to do on this subject, and I think that psychology in particular is not confrontational enough on the subject of gender dysphoria, accepting instead at face value that so many people believe to be of the opposite sex.
That a few individuals are outside the normal spectrum (hetero-normative, so the species can keep going) is kinda worrying me.  It ain't homophobic or transphobic, I just think science should look more at that without fear of being "cancelled" for it.

If it's genetic, I'd like to understand why that particular gene or genes are triggered.
I respect individual choices (even if not really a choice, I know), and will always support them, but that does not mean I am not worried (actually, more like inquisitive) of a growing trend.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 11:37:23 AM
I honestly can't tell the Anglo-Canadian Woke Squad apart
Tyr is British.
And calm down.  We all have different views on many subjects, and in this particular case, different interpretation of what she meant.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

chipwich

Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2020, 11:39:36 AM
Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 11:37:23 AM
I honestly can't tell the Anglo-Canadian Woke Squad apart
Tyr is British.
And calm down.  We all have different views on many subjects, and in this particular case, different interpretation of what she meant.

It's not different, it's a lie.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2020, 11:38:00 AM
pointing the finger toward current trans activism may be going a step too far, but do you sometimes question yourself as to why there are so many transgendered people lately?  How is it possible that so many people are convinced to be born in the wrong physical body?  Why is that condition so prevalent now?
I think psychology and psychiatry still have a lot of work to do on this subject, and I think that psychology in particular is not confrontational enough on the subject of gender dysphoria, accepting instead at face value that so many people believe to be of the opposite sex.
That a few individuals are outside the normal spectrum (hetero-normative, so the species can keep going) is kinda worrying me.  It ain't homophobic or transphobic, I just think science should look more at that without fear of being "cancelled" for it.

Well let's be quite honest here - the most likely explanation is that there were always people with gender dysphoria, and its only now that transgenderism is becoming a little bit more acceptable that people are more comfortable to come out of the closet.

Now that being said there has been proposed an idea of theory called Rapid Onset Gender Dysphoria.  It looks at some situations where adolescents, largely females, are in peer groups where suddenly several of them all come out as having gender dysphoria at the same time.  It's a hypothesis that probably warrants further investigation but of course this area is highly political.

There's also the issue of detransitioners - people (again largely women) who start taking hormones and asserting a male identity, but who eventually stop and go back to their prior female identity.  It doesn't appear to be a huge number of such people, but they are very real.

And really - I think we're a long way away from transgendered people being a threat to our survival as a species.  I'd be far more worried about the large number of heteronormative people out there not having kids by choice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2020, 12:00:04 PM
And really - I think we're a long way away from transgendered people being a threat to our survival as a species.  I'd be far more worried about the large number of heteronormative people out there not having kids by choice.
Quite. I am determined to retire and collect my state pension :contract:

Edit: It occurs to me this may not be what you meant by an existential threat....:mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 17, 2020, 12:03:22 PM

Edit: It occurs to me this may not be what you meant by an existential threat....:mellow:

It was kind of a relief to me. I always wanted three kids but felt bad because of the overpopulation issue...but when I realized tons of people were having zero kids I went ahead. Thanks for enabling me zero kid people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2020, 12:09:22 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 17, 2020, 12:03:22 PM

It was kind of a relief to me. I always wanted three kids but felt bad because of the overpopulation issue...but when I realized tons of people were having zero kids I went ahead. Thanks for enabling me zero kid people.

:yes:

I always said I wanted 2.5, so I was okay with three.  And cert

Honestly if we had started earlier I might have gone for 4, but I said I didn't want to be 40+ and having a new baby, because like Sheilbh I do want to be able to retire some day.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Mono is a different kind of fascist. They're both bad, but who's worse?

The answer is who cares.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on September 17, 2020, 12:42:48 PM
Mono is a different kind of fascist. They're both bad, but who's worse?

The answer is who cares.

Mono isn't a fascist.  He would have to have an ideology beyond sucking up to whoever is in power for that. If Hong Kong had a strong democratic government you would be seeing very different posts from him.

Chip on the other hand is ideological.