News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Message we just got:

QuoteThe Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continues to issue warnings about criminals seeking to steal intellectual property (IP) with a specific focus on IP related to COVID-19 research. Recent FBI alerts have focused on attempts orchestrated by foreign governments. The Office of Information Security continuously monitors this and other potential threats.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Larch

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 16, 2020, 03:03:55 PM
Message we just got:

QuoteThe Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continues to issue warnings about criminals seeking to steal intellectual property (IP) with a specific focus on IP related to COVID-19 research. Recent FBI alerts have focused on attempts orchestrated by foreign governments. The Office of Information Security continuously monitors this and other potential threats.

I saw this earlier today:

QuoteRussian state-sponsored hackers target Covid-19 vaccine researchers
UK National Cyber Security Centre says drug firms and research groups being targeted by group known as APT29

Russian state-sponsored hackers are targeting UK, US and Canadian organisations involved in developing a coronavirus vaccine, according to British security officials.

The UK's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) said drug companies and research groups were being targeted by a group known as APT29, which was "almost certainly" part of the Kremlin's intelligence services.

The Minsky Moment

Hostis humani generis.  Hunt the MFers down.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 16, 2020, 03:52:59 PM
Hostis humani generis.  Hunt the MFers down.

Your views intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your news letter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Aside from the loss of life, of course...I think one of the greater tragedies of COVID is the huge amount of independent, small restaurants and eateries that are going to be wiped out, never to be seen (or eaten from  :( ) again.  And the lingering uncertainty in the future commercial potential (entrepreneurial willingness or banks willing to take a risk on a start-up loan) is going to make any eventual recovery/renewal very hard indeed. 

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Some Admiral dude at HHS, via NPR, says 50% of new cases in US "hot spots" are being generated at bars.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfHFlyBoe3I

Governor of Georgia prohibits mayors from requiring masks in their cities.  :wacko:

Syt

1.: What an idiot.
2.: Can he actually do that?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

The Mayor of Atlanta has challenged him to enforce his idiotic decree.

Kemp can go fuck himself. The cities that are run by people who care about their communities won't listen to him and will continue to enforce the mandates. See ya in court.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

I think it's time to examine the GOP politicians for the presence of keepers.  They can't be that homicidal on their own volition, can they?

Monoriu

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on July 16, 2020, 11:19:06 PM
I think it's time to examine the GOP politicians for the presence of keepers.  They can't be that homicidal on their own volition, can they?

There's precious little difference left between the GOP and a nihilistic death cult.

Sheilbh

Urgent review into PHE death statistics - if the two Oxford academics are correct, it's bizarre no-one in PHE queried this:
QuoteHancock 'calls urgent review' into PHE coronavirus death statistics

Yesterday two Oxford university statisticians published an alarming article which said that there was a serious flaw in the way Public Health England has been recording coronavirus deaths: they say that PHE has been recording the deaths of anyone who has previously tested positive for coronavirus as a coronavirus death.

Yoon K Loke and Carl Heneghan wrote:
Quote    By this PHE definition, no one with COVID in England is allowed to ever recover from their illness. A patient who has tested positive, but successfully treated and discharged from hospital, will still be counted as a COVID death even if they had a heart attack or were run over by a bus three months later.

If this is correct, it may mean that the number of coronavirus deaths in England has been significantly overestimated.

Basically they said that PHE gets the details of everyone who ever tested positive for covid on one spreadsheet, then they a spreadsheet of deaths. They then cross check and if anyone has died and has ever tested positive for covid then PHE consider it a covid death. I don't think this really matters for the overall numbers or the worst period (which have, in any event been confirmed by the ONS), but it possibly explains the weirdly still high death rate outside of hospitals in England and its weird lumpiness (so you'll go from 5 deaths one day to 160 the next).

Details of the (not yet peer reviewed) article here:
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/why-no-one-can-ever-recover-from-covid-19-in-england-a-statistical-anomaly/
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

That stinks an awful lot of the typical kind of thing the covid deniers say. That if you die of anything when you have covid it is counted and in reality there are only 1000 corona deaths.
I can see that being a problem going forward. Everyone dies someday afterall. But for now if someone who has had corona dies, the odds are pretty good that they weren't hit by a lorry but that the death was something to do with their illness
██████
██████
██████