News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

It strikes me that it no longer makes sense to separate the US out by states, like it did in the beginning. At this point, the US as a whole is a blinding example of what not to do regarding COVID.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on July 15, 2020, 01:09:43 PM
It strikes me that it no longer makes sense to separate the US out by states, like it did in the beginning. At this point, the US as a whole is a blinding example of what not to do regarding COVID.
Not necessarily, I think the Northeast is holding on to their sanity, after being the Pearl Harbor of the pandemic.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Threviel

Quote from: Zoupa on July 15, 2020, 11:15:29 AM
Quote from: Threviel on July 15, 2020, 02:07:45 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 15, 2020, 01:19:20 AM
:wacko:

That's not how virii work.

Makes me curious, are you claiming that viruses don't evolve over time? Or that is is impossible for them to evolve into less lethal forms? Or perhaps that the time span is too short?

The time span is too short. The decreased death rate is relatively expected. The most vulnerable are already gone.

Thanks, that was my first reaction to the news also, but I'm not medically trained so I take my analysis with a ton of salt.

For what it's worth the drop in lethality thing is pebbled as the least of three reasons for the drop in mortality. First comes experience and technique in the medical staff, second better medicin and third the drop in lethality.

The Larch

The new normal, very much like the old normal for British tourists in Mallorca.  :P

QuoteMallorca closes Magaluf party strip

The popular holiday resort of Magaluf is closing its party strip of Punta Ballena after footage of drunken British tourists flouting regulations about wearing masks and social distancing while dancing on cars prompted an outcry.

The Mirror quoted the Balearic Islands' tourism minister, Iago Negueruela, as saying:

All commercial establishments, bars and restaurants in these streets will have to close following the publication of an official government bulletin which will be today.

They will have to close today. We cannot tolerate the sort of images we have been seeing over the last few days and we are not going to tolerate it.

Our tourist and economic activity depends on our image. We urge the general population and the tourists to obey rules on social distancing and the other measures put in place by the Balearic Islands government.

It says the closure order also affects two other notorious party strips including one in S'Arenal east of Palma called Calle del Jamon, which is popular with Germans.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

I'm fighting a losing battle at work. The military just don't give a shit.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

HisMajestyBOB

Hey guys, I heard something about the White House taking control of coronavirus statistics from the CDC. Anyone got a link?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

A friend of mine just died.  Haven't seen him in years, and all the obit says is that he died peacefully at home.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on July 15, 2020, 02:43:22 PM
The new normal, very much like the old normal for British tourists in Mallorca.  :P

QuoteMallorca closes Magaluf party strip

The popular holiday resort of Magaluf is closing its party strip of Punta Ballena after footage of drunken British tourists flouting regulations about wearing masks and social distancing while dancing on cars prompted an outcry.

The Mirror quoted the Balearic Islands' tourism minister, Iago Negueruela, as saying:

All commercial establishments, bars and restaurants in these streets will have to close following the publication of an official government bulletin which will be today.

They will have to close today. We cannot tolerate the sort of images we have been seeing over the last few days and we are not going to tolerate it.

Our tourist and economic activity depends on our image. We urge the general population and the tourists to obey rules on social distancing and the other measures put in place by the Balearic Islands government.

It says the closure order also affects two other notorious party strips including one in S'Arenal east of Palma called Calle del Jamon, which is popular with Germans.
What did they expect? People who like to go to Magaluf or El Arenal  will not show any consideration for social distancing or hygiene rules... 

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?