News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Agelastus on April 22, 2020, 06:53:51 AM
So, I've had the same neighbour for 30 years.

Not a friend but we have always got on with him and his family.

His father died at the weekend from Covid-19. In hospital on Thursday, dead a couple of days later. :(

:(

I'm sorry Angy, I fear many of us will be missing acquaintances when the crisis is over.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Don't worry chaps cricket has responded to the crisis, when the season eventually starts umpires will no longer be asked to carry/wear the bowlers sweaters,caps or sunglasses.  :bowler:

Though still no decision on ball handling or bowler's application of spit to shine the ball.  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Interseting.

That self-swab test I did after signing up to Flusurvey - apparently very helpful etc etc. One thousand participants returned swans and 2% were positive, 20% had no symptoms.  Cough and fever were the most common symptoms, but most people who self reported cough, fever and loss of smell tested negative.

This is another thing that makes me think this may have been more widespread because 2% is higher than I'd have expected, especially given it's only people who are infected at that time and I think it was a few weeks  ago so early March? :mellow: :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 22, 2020, 08:28:22 AM
Interseting.

That self-swab test I did after signing up to Flusurvey - apparently very helpful etc etc. One thousand participants returned swans and 2% were positive, 20% had no symptoms.  Cough and fever were the most common symptoms, but most people who self reported cough, fever and loss of smell tested negative.

This is another thing that makes me think this may have been more widespread because 2% is higher than I'd have expected, especially given it's only people who are infected at that time and I think it was a few weeks  ago so early March? :mellow: :hmm:

Interesting indeed, but I fear another example of British inefficiency, how the hell did you get that back into a post box?

DGuller

Getting regular swabs up your nose is bad enough, I heard.  I can only imagine how fun it is with swans. :pinch:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Surely only the Queen is allowed to use swans for a self-swab test?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Spain's largest toilet paper brand announces a +50% rise in profits during the first quarter of 2020  :D

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 22, 2020, 08:28:22 AM
Interseting.

Maybe I misunderstand the pool of volunteers on this but 2% sounds way too low for any hope of this being super-widespread and super-symptomless and thus super-not-deadly.

Legbiter

Quote from: Maladict on April 22, 2020, 06:59:13 AM
Interesting study on age relating to infections. This, among other studies, was used to determine kids should be given more freedom to play and go to school. Kids don't seem to transmit the virus much at all.

Yeah, here the origin of every single infection has been accounted for in contact tracing except in 8 cases where it was impossible to trace where the individual got it from. And here there's not a single instance so far where a child infected an adult. Adults have infected children within households however.  :hmm: That means reopening schools again will not rekindle a pandemic.

*edit* Lax precautions by adults could do so however.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

PDH

So, in order to make sure it is safe, we have children teach the classes as the teacher could infect them all.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Legbiter

Quote from: PDH on April 22, 2020, 10:23:35 AM
So, in order to make sure it is safe, we have children teach the classes as the teacher could infect them all.

:lol:

Yeah it's remarkable, schools have been closed down entirely with staff, the children and all members of their households placed into quarantine after a member of staff displayed symptoms, yet no cases of children being infected by staff or each other. Not one.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

My little sister got it.  She's a bit on the dumb side and hasn't taken this seriously at all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017