News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

In Korea didn't they just track phone signal?

The legal point makes sense.

As I said the other day it does have potentially worrying privacy implications if the government don't release these powers after its over, and giving them the power temporarily could be dangerous, but it works.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 30, 2020, 04:54:30 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 30, 2020, 04:52:37 AM
So Poland is following the Korean approach. Interesting. Though wonder why its app based rather than just phone signal tracking.

That would be illegal under EU GDPR rules, unless they anonimize the data (which would make it pointless for this). I know, Poland, but I guess there's limits and you'd need the carriers to play ball.
Also under EU law anonymisation is very, very difficult.

Italy, Germany and the UK have been looking at using telecoms data, presumably in a way that is legal. This is the first example I've heard of this sort of app in Europe but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more states adopting it. Because it's an app I suppose in theory it could be legal and, at least people would know about it. But it could very easily be problematic.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on March 30, 2020, 04:36:18 AM
Crime down 80% during the quarantine in Catalonia. This is mostly due to the near-extinction of pickpocketing (duh) which usually makes up 50% of complains to the police.

There's been - unsurprisingly - an uptike in online scams though.

Hard times for burglars? Now more than ever, knowing if the owner is there, a basis of this "job", is critical. Many residences will be empty depending on lockdown and compliance though.  :hmm:

Syt

Government says there's enough facemasks that starting Wednesday or Thursday it will become mandatory to wear one in supermarkets. They will be given to customers on entry.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Red Bull F1 team planned to infect their drivers in a controlled environment, so they would be immune when the season starts. Needless to say, that didn't go down well.  :lol:

Fate

Quote from: Syt on March 30, 2020, 05:45:39 AM
Government says there's enough facemasks that starting Wednesday or Thursday it will become mandatory to wear one in supermarkets. They will be given to customers on entry.

In American top tier hospitals there aren't enough surgical facemasks to give them to all staff upon entry into the buildling.

Josquius

Quote from: Fate on March 30, 2020, 06:07:09 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 30, 2020, 05:45:39 AM

In American top tier hospitals there aren't enough surgical facemasks to give them to all staff upon entry into the buildling.

Yeah, UK too, does ring kind of dickish of Austria.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2020, 05:32:58 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 30, 2020, 04:54:30 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 30, 2020, 04:52:37 AM
So Poland is following the Korean approach. Interesting. Though wonder why its app based rather than just phone signal tracking.

That would be illegal under EU GDPR rules, unless they anonimize the data (which would make it pointless for this). I know, Poland, but I guess there's limits and you'd need the carriers to play ball.
Also under EU law anonymisation is very, very difficult.

Italy, Germany and the UK have been looking at using telecoms data, presumably in a way that is legal. This is the first example I've heard of this sort of app in Europe but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more states adopting it. Because it's an app I suppose in theory it could be legal and, at least people would know about it. But it could very easily be problematic.

Over here the most affected regions have rolled out self-reporting and information apps, but nothing so far that tracks movement. I presume if its voluntary it would be legal, the problem is that if it's voluntary you won't get anywhere near enough participation.

Sheilbh

QuoteAstrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device
Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when you touch your face
Naaman Zhou
@naamanzhou
Mon 30 Mar 2020 05.48 BST
Last modified on Mon 30 Mar 2020 12.49 BST

Astrophysicist Daniel Reardon was playing around with powerful neodymium magnets while trying to make a coronavirus safety device and managed to get them stuck in his nose. Photograph: Supplied by Daniel Reardon
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/30/astrophysicist-gets-magnets-stuck-up-nose-while-inventing-coronavirus-device

Interesting comments by Neil Ferguson, the Imperial modeller that there are signs social distancing measures are starting to have an effect in the UK and Europe based on hospitals admission data starting to track down - this isn't public in the UK so we can't see it. Also he estimated that around 3-5% of London has coronavirus, while it's 2-3% of the rest of the country.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2020, 06:11:05 AM
Increases my mask truther tendencies  :Embarrass:

What is a mask truther tendency?

I imagine this question of selfishness vs. benevolence will become more acute as testing kit supply and particularly a vaccine and cure become available.  Do we treat our own people first, or do we send some to Mali out of good will?

Tamas

Tamas

So Prince Charles, who tested positive, is now out of self isolation after 7 days.

His wife, who tested negative, remains in self isolation for the full 14 days period.

What a shining example to our nation this guy is!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2020, 06:56:07 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2020, 06:11:05 AM
Increases my mask truther tendencies  :Embarrass:

What is a mask truther tendency?
My mask truther tendency is that masks are actually a very effective way of stopping the spread of this disease and the CDC, WHO, BBC, health authorities who were saying: "stop buying masks, you don't need them and they're kind of pointless unless you're a medical professional" were very wrong.

Edit: I'm not at conspiracy theory yet - but I have three months of being socially distant and a lot of post-it notes.
Let's bomb Russia!