News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Examples of non hysterical comments made by actual experts:

Bonnie Henry, B.C.'s Provincial Health Officer, said officials there are not ruling out anything, such as the cancellation of Easter church services or a delayed return to school after March break. It will all depend on what happens in the province in the next few weeks, she said.

"It's not easy to say across the board everything should be cancelled because we want to continue with life as well," Dr. Henry said.

Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health, on Wednesday recommended all those who travel outside of Canada to limit their attendance at large public gatherings upon their return, and to self-monitor for symptoms. She said older people and people with underlying health conditions should think about the risks associated with mass gatherings, stopping short of advising against them.

Sheilbh

Quote from: fromtia on March 11, 2020, 11:50:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2020, 11:47:05 PM
I just saw the speech Trump gave.  I think it was the best speech of his career.  His tune has completely changed and I think he'll start addressing this seriously.  He also didn't look or sound well.  I don't know if he's getting sick or someone finally got through to him that this is serious, but something was up.

Bar is very very low for the Cheeto Caesar. He did sound like someone in an elected office for the first time though. I mean, an idiot that got elected, but its like he knows hes supposed to be doing something other than bailing out his pals, pwning the libs and handing out tax cuts.
I feel like this happens every now and then when things go too far - the initial response to Charlottesville for example -  and his aides convince him to read a speech they've written.

It normally lasts until he gets his phone back or does his next rally.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2020, 03:47:48 AM
As of midnight last night, our employees in New York and London were advised to start working from home. I guess this will be my last day in the office for a while.

We're a small office of 15 or so people, and given our business there's no real reason to not have people working from home: all we do is done electronically and online.

Except our boss hates people working from home. So the policy is that we're expected to show up for work, unless we're sick (or have another valid reason, like looking after a child who has to stay home).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Lots of American-born people that work/study at the uni have rushed today to the Barcelona airport in panic, fearful of not being able to come back.

Sheilbh

Got some colleagues in the US in business who I think are moving their flights up ASAP in case Trump discovers the UK is in Europe.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2020, 01:12:45 AM

Also, is there any fact based reason not to include the UK in the travel ban (since it's for the Schengen area)?

The vassalisation progress bar would cancel.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2020, 04:47:27 AM
As of midnight last night, our employees in New York and London were advised to start working from home. I guess this will be my last day in the office for a while.

We're a small office of 15 or so people, and given our business there's no real reason to not have people working from home: all we do is done electronically and online.

Except our boss hates people working from home. So the policy is that we're expected to show up for work, unless we're sick (or have another valid reason, like looking after a child who has to stay home).

It is expected that this afternoon the British government will move to the delay phase of proceedings and advise people to work from home. I am curious to see if I will still be expected to come in tomorrow regardless.

celedhring

I'm admittedly not really following the UK situation closely, but I find odd that a) your cases are not yet exploding b) there don't seem to be many strict measures in place while c) the rethoric coming from the government is pretty alarmist. Even disregarding a), b) doesn't follow from c)

celedhring

Spanish Minister of Equality tested positive. All Spanish cabinet being tested.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2020, 05:01:55 AM
I'm admittedly not really following the UK situation closely, but I find odd that a) your cases are not yet exploding b) there don't seem to be many strict measures in place while c) the rethoric coming from the government is pretty alarmist. Even disregarding a), b) doesn't follow from c)

Only a very restricted group of people are being tested. So unless you come down wit severe symptoms you can easily fly under the radar.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on March 12, 2020, 04:58:12 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2020, 04:47:27 AM

It is expected that this afternoon the British government will move to the delay phase of proceedings and advise people to work from home. I am curious to see if I will still be expected to come in tomorrow regardless.

The government suggested already last week that everyone who can should work remotely.

Austria has gone from 202 cases yesterday morning to 302 today. And the first person has died, a 69 year old who had been to Italy and who had prior medical conditions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2020, 05:01:55 AM
I don't know if the rhetoric is alarmist. To me it seems fairly practical: this is probably going to be bad and this is what you should do in your lives to help.

One bit of the UK approach is that politicians/government don't actually say much. The majority of the messaging comes from the government's chief scientific officer and chief medical officer. But I think c is about getting people to change their behaviour. So getting people to wash their hands, maybe go to fewer events on their own without needing b.

Apparently a lot of the UK government's starting point comes from the UK's Influenza Pandemic Preparedness Strategy - which was published in 2011 and updated in 2017:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/213717/dh_131040.pdf

So for example on flights the Chancellor was saying this morning Trump's actions weren't really supported by the science. In that Strategy document the modelling is that a 90% reduction in flights pushes the peak back by 1-2 weeks, which hardly seems worth it. Even a 99.9% reduction in flights would only push it back 2 months and it may have other consequences socially and to the supply chain. Chances are - based on previous examples - the pandemic is already spreading internationally.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

First confirmed case in a care home for the elderly which is probably one of the highest risk environments. Hopefully the local NHS can respond to it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I really fear that with the UK the cunt factor is making our numbers look low. A lot of people who have a slight version of the disease happily going about their lives and infecting others
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 12, 2020, 05:28:07 AM
I really fear that with the UK the cunt factor is making our numbers look low. A lot of people who have a slight version of the disease happily going about their lives and infecting others

Or they want to be tested but won't be.

IIRC in all other countries one they got around 200ish cases started really ramping up. We seem to have had a stead quota, at least until yesterday. Feels odd.