News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

I think the premise itself is flawed. The virus spreads so fast that there seems to be little room for balance. Either you "take it on the chin", or you shut entire sectors down.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2020, 03:05:30 PM
I see what you mean and you are probably right, but it is equally possible to take those extra 25 seconds to reinforce the malicious reading of it:

1. one idea is to take it on the chin
2. important to strike a balance give the NHS everything they need
3. BUT what I think is most important we should try and make that peak less severe for the NHS

I could just take what he said and think his thought process was "let it wash through, well, we should try to strike a balance by buffing up the NHS, BUT rather than that lets make sure the peak is more managable". That sounds like what that Lord you quoted said: don't try to supress it, just make sure the worse of it is over before winter.
That's not the malicious reading - that's the entire rationale of delay. It wasn't a lord I quoted, it was the government's chief scientific officer. The position is that this will be a substantial outbreak that can't be contained - and I don't think anywhere in the world has managed to contain it yet. But the real risk isn't the illness which in most cases is mild, but that it overwhelms the health service (and we're currently at the tail-end of its busiest period anyway). So the policy is to delay it and flatten the curve.

QuoteAnd it is extremely likely they are right to do this.

However, when Austria, Greece, etc. shut down most everything for fewer cases than ours, and then I read something that a high school with a confirmed case won't even need a cleaning although the infected person was there 4 days ago, then to me it says that either the UK or every other European country, are doing something wrong.
I don't think the UK and the rest of Europe are taking different approaches though - I think the UK is just earlier in this process so we've not seen the substantial outbreak yet, that's anticipated in the next 10-14 days.

It's the chart the French health minister was drawing on TV last night:

And what Merkel's said: "The most effective remedy for the coronavirus is the time factor to slow its spread and stretch it over a longer period of time." The main point of all this social distancing etc isn't to stop the disease, it's to slow down the spread so our medical systems can cope.

Incidentally potentially good news in Italy where it looks like the spread has fallen dramatically from recent days - hopefully that keeps going.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: Liep on March 10, 2020, 09:11:38 AM
And it's out of control here. 29 two days ago and 150+ today. There's plenty of stories about people not respecting quarantine and even one with a family who knew their son was infected with corona flying to Madeira without informing anyone about it. I kind of hope the Portuguese fine them for their recklessness.

Damn.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2020, 02:49:30 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 10, 2020, 01:45:15 PM
:mellow:

I want a better country.  :(

I don't get why being paid by the state at 75% is so much better than being paid at 100% by your employer.

This isn't about me. This is about the millions of American workers without any sick leave at all. None.

If my two eldest sons get sick, they're going to be financially ruined. Both have severe asthma and scarred lungs from when they were born. They're young, but very much st risk.

If they get this virus, they don't have insurance and have zero paid sick leave. They are just two of millions.

Jesus, guys.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2020, 03:26:07 PM
No eggs, rice, pasta or toilet paper at Tesco Extra today.

Similar experience, I went out early evening yesterday to get four routine items from a nearby Lidl, only got one thing I went in for, breakfast cereal; the others, all of the pasta, most biscuits and nearly all of the coffee was gone.

And I think a fair few other items were all sold out too.

I stopped in on the same shop this evening, they'd obviously had been restocked, but again nearly all coffee gone, I did manage to get some of the very last pasta, and picked up the last packet of the biscuits I wanted.

So I think we have a way to go before the panic buying cools down.  un- :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I think I might buy a couple of live chicken if it comes to it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: merithyn on March 10, 2020, 03:48:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2020, 02:49:30 PM

I don't get why being paid by the state at 75% is so much better than being paid at 100% by your employer.

This isn't about me. This is about the millions of American workers without any sick leave at all. None.

If my two eldest sons get sick, they're going to be financially ruined. Both have severe asthma and scarred lungs from when they were born. They're young, but very much st risk.

If they get this virus, they don't have insurance and have zero paid sick leave. They are just two of millions.

Jesus, guys.

:(

I wonder if this will finally push things toward a civilised healthcare system there. What you have would be a disgrace for a medium-sized European country, let alone the richest and strongest country on the planet.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on March 10, 2020, 02:46:24 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2020, 10:54:21 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2020, 10:49:50 AM
I'm confused too.  Is sick pay provided by the state in Spain?

Yes.

There are pros and cons. Getting data from Wikipedia (obviously not the best source, but readily available):

US Unemployment: 3.5%
Spain Unemployment: 13.78%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_unemployment_rate

US Per capita GDP from IMF (PPP): $65,112
Spain Per capita GDP from IMF (PPP): $41,592

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_capita

Well Canada has a system comparable to Spain and our unemployment rate is 5% - so that probably isn't it.

merithyn

My local SCA Kingdom (Vancourver, BC; Washington; Oregon) has cancelled all activities until the end of March. At least one person has a family member who has died in Seattle. Iowa State has made all classes virtual, so my daughter is now "working from home".

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Legbiter

Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2020, 04:33:17 PMSimilar experience, I went out early evening yesterday to get four routine items from a nearby Lidl, only got one thing I went in for, breakfast cereal; the others, all of the pasta, most biscuits and nearly all of the coffee was gone.

Those who panicked early don't have to panic today.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Dang.  Three cases reported in Johnson County.  All three came back from a cruise in Egypt.

Thanks Trump.

DGuller

I've been to Target here in Jersey City twice over the last three days.  It was actually a more pleasant experience than it usually is; the crowds were not bad at all, and the shelves were more or less sufficiently stocked (except for stuff like hand soap).  We have a firm grip on our shit. :yeah:

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2020, 05:59:29 PM
  We have a firm grip on our shit. :yeah:

That's a good way to get cholera.  :yuk:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help