News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2020, 07:05:30 PM
I wondered how many people in the US have been infected with the flu and how many have died this flu season.

The numbers dwarf covid.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-flu-has-already-killed-10000-across-us-as-world-frets-over-coronavirus.html

CC that's a pointless comparison, as we don't yet know the extent of this new disease, there is the extreme possibility that it permanently establishes itself in the human population alongside regular flu and colds.

Also this is an additional risk that the vulnerable and the elderly might well have to face.

Would it not make sense to mount a serious fight against it, to stop it becoming a fact of life?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fromtia

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2020, 08:03:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2020, 07:44:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2020, 07:05:30 PM
I wondered how many people in the US have been infected with the flu and how many have died this flu season.

The numbers dwarf covid.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-flu-has-already-killed-10000-across-us-as-world-frets-over-coronavirus.html

Seriously?  Are you really posting this?
Can the answer to this question ever be "no"? :unsure:

Maybe it's a joke.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Maximus

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fromtia on March 10, 2020, 08:12:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFhjMQrVts

Heres Joe Rogan talking to a boffin of some kind.

I watched about 5, 10 mins of this.  The dude lays out his information very clinically, but I'm put off by the dude's vagueness on his qualifications and where he works or has worked.

Monoriu

It is probably misleading to compare flu with conronavirus and say the new virus isn't very harmful.  If conronavirus is allowed to spread globally, the death rate will be much higher.  Wuhan is the best illustration.  The virus was allowed to spread in Wuhan for a few weeks, basically unchecked.  The official figure is that two to three thousand died. 

1. The unofficial figure could be much higher. 

2. It is estimated that the death rate is about 10 times regular flu. 

3. After spreading for probably two months or so, there was massive official effort to contain it, e.g. total lockdown.  Imagine what it would be like if we treat it like flu and not contain it. 

4. Wuhan had massive support from the rest of China in terms of medical resources.  If the virus was allowed to spread all over the world, the strain on the medical sector would almost certainly break it. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zoupa on March 10, 2020, 08:27:51 PM
A lot of you need to chill out.

I don't think putting a little extra in your pantry is an unreasonable precaution.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Anecdotally, there are reports coming out of Wuhan that whole families were wiped out.  You don't find these reports about flu.  There was a film director who chronicled the few weeks from December to February.  The family planned a big happy new year gathering.  It was cancelled due to the lockdown.  Then his parents fell ill and no hospital had places to take them in.  He looked after them but they died one after the other.  Then his wife, his sister and he himself fell ill one by one.  Shortly after burying his parents he had to bury his sister.  The good news was he finally found a ventilator for his wife in the hospital.  The bad news was he only had days left.  The only one left was his son who survived because he studied in the UK.  So when his son went back home he would be greeted by four or five pots of ashes for the family reunion. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Zoupa on March 10, 2020, 08:27:51 PM
A lot of you need to chill out.

In 6 weeks, Seattle will have around 60 000 cases. Yes, chill.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Camerus

I don't understand the calls to "chill out", "it's no worse than the flu" etc. when we already have firsthand evidence of what's going down in Italy, not obscured and obfuscated, but where the entire country is on lockdown and huge strains are being placed on healthcare in affected regions.

A little strategic "overreaction" (not panic) is warranted at this point.

Monoriu

I agree we need to chill out but this is serious.  The virus is not flu.  It is as infectious as flu but with a death rate at least 10 times higher.  There is no cure, the only way to combat it is to put people on ventilators if needed.  But there simply aren't that many hospital beds and ventilators.  If the number of infected is small, the medical system can cope.  But if there are tens of thousands who need to be hospitalised, the system will crash.  Unless every country can build several thousand bed hospitals in a few weeks like Wuhan, the only way left is for people to stay in their homes.  The experience from Wuhan and Hubei province is that staying home doesn't work.  They need to be put on ventilators and hospitalised to increase their survival rate.  Good luck if millions need ventilators. 

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

FWIW, Trump was absolutely correct to close the metaphorical borders with China when this was first breaking. Doing so couldn't have prevented the virus from coming of course but did buy time.

Sadly by doing nothing from that moment onwards but make retarded Tweets, he squandered the prep time that that decision brought.

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2020, 08:40:12 PM

I watched about 5, 10 mins of this.  The dude lays out his information very clinically, but I'm put off by the dude's vagueness on his qualifications and where he works or has worked.

For the love of god Yi, do I have to do everything for you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Osterholm

I'd never heard of him either, and as much as I enjoy Joe Rogan, I tend to take a lot of his guests with a pinch of salt. This guy seems fairly legit. Rogan does have very legit people on, as well as the nutjobs.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.