News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Our government has finally released the agreggated total of tests conducted: 17,500. That means 91% of tests came out negative.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

That chart's slightly terrifying. I'd still love to hear more about what Korea's done:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

QuoteBack here in the UK, a school in north-west London has had a Covid-19 case confirmed but health officials have said there's no need for it to close, nor for any staff or pupils to be put into quarantine, Kevin Rawlinson reports.

Hatch End high school has published a letter from its headteacher confirming a person at the school has tested positive, though it did not say whether they are staff or a pupil."

The person was last in school on Friday 6 March. PHE have conducted a risk assessment and advised us that no staff or pupils need to exclude themselves from school."

A group of pupils and a small number of staff members have been asked to monitor themselves for symptoms, for a period of 14 days (until 20th March). No one in this group has been asked to exclude themselves from school if they are well."

A note on its website added: "Given the specifics of this case they have determined that a deep clean of the school is not required."

Can there be any more doubt left that the actual plan is what Johnson mentioned some days ago?

Iormlund

Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2020, 01:59:25 PM
Can there be any more doubt left that the actual plan is what Johnson mentioned some days ago?

If Spain adopted this approach we could balance our pension system overnight.

It makes perfect sense if you are a sociopath.

Sheilbh

Tamas, come on! That's a selectively edited video really misrepresents what he said.

I find the way it's being circulated again this week on social media depressing. We don't need to worry about deepfakes when people are so willing to share, just selective edits - same with the Prince Harry thing yesterday.

Edit: I mean 2.5 million views and it's bollocks :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2020, 02:09:19 PM
Tamas, come on! That's a selectively edited video really misrepresents what he said.

I find the way it's being circulated again this week on social media depressing. We don't need to worry about deepfakes when people are so willing to share, just selective edits - same with the Prince Harry thing yesterday.

Edit: I mean 2.5 million views and it's bollocks :bleeding:

What was the larger context that makes what he said mean significantly different to what it sounds like?

Sheilbh

Question is at 6 minutes to about 7 minutes 15:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOHiaPwtGl4

The bit that's quite different is the last 25 seconds (i.e. the bit that's not circulating on social media).
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on March 10, 2020, 01:45:15 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2020, 10:54:21 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2020, 10:49:50 AM
I'm confused too.  Is sick pay provided by the state in Spain?

Yes.

:mellow:

I want a better country.  :(

There are pros and cons. Getting data from Wikipedia (obviously not the best source, but readily available):

US Unemployment: 3.5%
Spain Unemployment: 13.78%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_unemployment_rate

US Per capita GDP from IMF (PPP): $65,112
Spain Per capita GDP from IMF (PPP): $41,592

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_capita
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on March 10, 2020, 01:45:15 PM
:mellow:

I want a better country.  :(

I don't get why being paid by the state at 75% is so much better than being paid at 100% by your employer.

Valmy

I mean theoretically that would be nice for the employers not to have to pay sick time but it does not seem to be doing much for their unemployment rate.

But granted back in the 1980s their unemployment rate was something crazy like 35% so I guess to get it to 13.8% they must be doing well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2020, 02:51:32 PM
I mean theoretically that would be nice for the employers not to have to pay sick time but it does not seem to be doing much for their unemployment rate.

But granted back in the 1980s their unemployment rate was something crazy like 35% so I guess to get it to 13.8% they must be doing well.

The insurance is funded through payroll taxes so that's not the aim of the policy, although risk is eventually socialized by doing it this way. It's just a way to ensure access to sick pay.

Our unemployment rate is bad, but it was 26% 7 years ago...

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2020, 02:29:41 PM
Question is at 6 minutes to about 7 minutes 15:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOHiaPwtGl4

The bit that's quite different is the last 25 seconds (i.e. the bit that's not circulating on social media).

Thanks.

I see what you mean and you are probably right, but it is equally possible to take those extra 25 seconds to reinforce the malicious reading of it:

1. one idea is to take it on the chin
2. important to strike a balance give the NHS everything they need
3. BUT what I think is most important we should try and make that peak less severe for the NHS

I could just take what he said and think his thought process was "let it wash through, well, we should try to strike a balance by buffing up the NHS, BUT rather than that lets make sure the peak is more managable". That sounds like what that Lord you quoted said: don't try to supress it, just make sure the worse of it is over before winter.

And it is extremely likely they are right to do this.

However, when Austria, Greece, etc. shut down most everything for fewer cases than ours, and then I read something that a high school with a confirmed case won't even need a cleaning although the infected person was there 4 days ago, then to me it says that either the UK or every other European country, are doing something wrong.

garbon

No eggs, rice, pasta or toilet paper at Tesco Extra today.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.