What Would You Do About Climate Change?

Started by mongers, December 28, 2019, 09:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scenario - The World's Governments Accept A Climate Plan, What Would You Agree To Do

Cut my use of fossil fueled private transport significantly
13 (61.9%)
I won't be cutting back on fossil fuel private transport
2 (9.5%)
I will significantly cut back on my consumption of meat
10 (47.6%)
I won't be cutting back on eating meat
6 (28.6%)
I will turn down my household heating and use less AC
10 (47.6%)
I won't change my household temperature
6 (28.6%)
I will significantly cut the number of international and domestic flights I take
11 (52.4%)
I won't be cutting back on air travel
5 (23.8%)
I will noticeable reduce my consumption of consumer goods / clothing etc
13 (61.9%)
I won't reduce my consumption of these goods
3 (14.3%)
I don't believe climate change is real, so won't be doing anything.
1 (4.8%)
It's happening, but I don't want to change my lifestyle
1 (4.8%)
It's too late so I won't be doing anything (cop out option 1)
1 (4.8%)
Technological changes that'll solve the problem,  so I don't need to do anything (cop out option 2)
1 (4.8%)
Jaron option  (space aliens will arrive and save us from ourselves)
3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

mongers

Imagine a scenario where the World's govenrments agree a binding climate plan, they'll then enact it and policy begins to filter down to the people.

In this situation what measures would you agree to take as part of your government plan?

Or Indeed what significant changes have your yourself already made?

You've got up to 6 votes, mainly so you can answer the first 5 pairs of linked questions.

Note by significant I mean greater than 50%
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

I will obey what my government says.  Nothing more, nothing less.

DGuller

I'll make approving comments about Greta Thunberg.

The Brain

In Sweden we don't have to agree to laws (as individuals).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

I didn't read the OP before voting, so I picked the options I currently am doing / will do.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

mongers

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 28, 2019, 12:15:22 PM
I didn't read the OP before voting, so I picked the options I currently am doing / will do.

Thanks for the reply,

The forum options don't really fit the poll, I think I should have clicked the allow people to change/edit vote option, so that people and see it and also vote on multiple occasions, rather than just once.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Err... Most of the above.
I try not to drive, I have reduced meat consumption, I have a preference for colder tempatures,
I do keep the sin of flying a fair bit, I don't want to give that up. Though I am not doing it as much as I used to this is not intentional and I wish to undo it.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

None of those questions require government action.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

There is only one man alive in Iceland who's very concerned about climate change as seen by his actual actions. The rest hector and blather on social media. He lives off-grid in a tent but struggles with procuring enough food to last him through winter.

I'm also baffled by this weird fixation on meat as a culprit, the least carbon-intensive food sources for Iceland are lamb, fish and photogenic sea mammals. Vegetarian fare aside from maybe potatoes (if you have a good summer) has to be shipped from long distances to market here.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

You know, being concerned about climate change doesn't mean completely throwing away modern civilization right?
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: Tyr on December 28, 2019, 12:29:35 PM
You know, being concerned about climate change doesn't mean completely throwing away modern civilization right?

Tawk is cheap. Watch what people actually do.

Maladict

Already making an effort on all of those five, although I definitely could do more.
A (heavy) tax on air fares is long overdue, and both car fuel and meat should be taxed more as well.

Zoupa

Quote from: Legbiter on December 28, 2019, 12:35:40 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 28, 2019, 12:29:35 PM

Tawk is cheap. Watch what people actually do.

Just 100 companies responsible for 71% of global emissions, study says.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jul/10/100-fossil-fuel-companies-investors-responsible-71-global-emissions-cdp-study-climate-change

Zoupa

Quote from: Legbiter on December 28, 2019, 12:27:18 PM
There is only one man alive in Iceland who's very concerned about climate change as seen by his actual actions. The rest hector and blather on social media. He lives off-grid in a tent but struggles with procuring enough food to last him through winter.

I'm also baffled by this weird fixation on meat as a culprit, the least carbon-intensive food sources for Iceland are lamb, fish and photogenic sea mammals. Vegetarian fare aside from maybe potatoes (if you have a good summer) has to be shipped from long distances to market here.

Your "country" has less people than my neighborhood. Meat consumption is definitely contributing to carbon emissions. Are you really this dense or just trolling as usual?

Legbiter

Quote from: Zoupa on December 28, 2019, 01:13:12 PM
Your "country" has less people than my neighborhood. Meat consumption is definitely contributing to carbon emissions. Are you really this dense or just trolling as usual?

And your country's entire carbon output is a fart in a hurricane compared to Chinese and Indian coal plants. That's where this fight will be won this century. As to meat your local farmers make a lot more sense than your fairtrade quinoa and soya shipped halfway across the world. Procure your food as much as you can from your local community.

My local real enviornmentalist should just join a Benedictine order. At least he'd channel his religious impulse to something more productive.