What Would You Do About Climate Change?

Started by mongers, December 28, 2019, 09:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scenario - The World's Governments Accept A Climate Plan, What Would You Agree To Do

Cut my use of fossil fueled private transport significantly
13 (61.9%)
I won't be cutting back on fossil fuel private transport
2 (9.5%)
I will significantly cut back on my consumption of meat
10 (47.6%)
I won't be cutting back on eating meat
6 (28.6%)
I will turn down my household heating and use less AC
10 (47.6%)
I won't change my household temperature
6 (28.6%)
I will significantly cut the number of international and domestic flights I take
11 (52.4%)
I won't be cutting back on air travel
5 (23.8%)
I will noticeable reduce my consumption of consumer goods / clothing etc
13 (61.9%)
I won't reduce my consumption of these goods
3 (14.3%)
I don't believe climate change is real, so won't be doing anything.
1 (4.8%)
It's happening, but I don't want to change my lifestyle
1 (4.8%)
It's too late so I won't be doing anything (cop out option 1)
1 (4.8%)
Technological changes that'll solve the problem,  so I don't need to do anything (cop out option 2)
1 (4.8%)
Jaron option  (space aliens will arrive and save us from ourselves)
3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Iormlund

Quote from: Legbiter on December 30, 2019, 07:42:08 PM
Why not just kill yourself then? That would turn you into a point decimal something insignificant in carbon decrease blahblah.

I feel like the most zealous here are just turning their Houellebecqian protagonist existence into something heroic.  :hmm:

I'm hardly zealous. I never wanted kids, so it's not exactly a sacrifice on my part.

But numbers don't lie. Having kids is the single biggest multiplier of one's energy expenditure.

Legbiter

Quote from: Iormlund on December 30, 2019, 07:53:24 PMI'm hardly zealous. I never wanted kids, so it's not exactly a sacrifice on my part.

But numbers don't lie. Having kids is the single biggest multiplier of one's energy expenditure.

My five year old just hugged me the other day because he "loves me almost as much as mum".  :lol: You do you of course and as a fellow near-carnivore I want you on my side in a bar fight every day of the week...

Hell, whatever civilization replaces ours will be so perplexed by all the leftover plastic and our ancient smart phones.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

Your kid won't have to compete with his for resources. You should be thanking him.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 30, 2019, 08:27:00 PM
Your kid won't have to compete with his for resources. You should be thanking him.

My children will make their own way in the world. And I'll be there as long as I can help. Preferably the day before I drop dead.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Its always a bit dodgy when people don't have kids for environmental reasons.
Afterall, that kind of caring for stuff beyond yourself attitude is what we want in the next generation.
It's idiocracy in action.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on December 31, 2019, 10:21:59 AM
Afterall, that kinds of caring for stuff beyond yourself attitude is what we want in the nex generation.

:hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

I'm not so sure there's a gene that makes people care about others.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I think Squeeze is saying he wants The Good People to outbreed The Evil Thatcherites.  :hmm:

Josquius

QuoteI'm not so sure there's a gene that makes people care about others.  :hmm:

There's not much there genetically (though there probably are some genes associated with that). But upbringing definitely impacts on it.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2019, 11:48:24 AM
I think Squeeze is saying he wants The Good People to outbreed The Evil Thatcherites.  :hmm:
:yes:
But thinking and caring about things tends to correlate with a low birth rate.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Afterall, that kind of caring for stuff beyond yourself attitude is what we want in the next generation.

How many people don't have kids for environmental reasons?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on December 31, 2019, 01:05:07 PM

No idea. But this isn't the first I've heard about it.
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20190920-the-couples-reconsidering-kids-because-of-climate-change
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on December 31, 2019, 01:43:51 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 31, 2019, 01:05:07 PM

No idea. But this isn't the first I've heard about it.
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20190920-the-couples-reconsidering-kids-because-of-climate-change

QuoteBickner, now 28, quickly recognised that having a child in America – let alone four, five or 13 – would be the single most carbon-intensive choice she could make. In the developed world the carbon footprint of a child is roughly 58.6 metric tonnes annually, whereas that of a Malawian child has consistently been estimated between 0.07 and 0.1 metric tonnes annually.

So they could have just moved to Malawi. I think it's as simple as they don't want kids.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

There's also the train of thought that any children you produce will be living in a post-apocalyptic world.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2019, 02:28:07 PM
There's also the train of thought that any children you produce will be living in a post-apocalyptic world.

I like to think of my son ruling his own fiefdom in that post-apocalyptic world.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

crazy canuck

Since many of the best scientific ideas (perhaps ideas in general) come from the young it would be counterproductive not to have kids.