What Would You Do About Climate Change?

Started by mongers, December 28, 2019, 09:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scenario - The World's Governments Accept A Climate Plan, What Would You Agree To Do

Cut my use of fossil fueled private transport significantly
13 (61.9%)
I won't be cutting back on fossil fuel private transport
2 (9.5%)
I will significantly cut back on my consumption of meat
10 (47.6%)
I won't be cutting back on eating meat
6 (28.6%)
I will turn down my household heating and use less AC
10 (47.6%)
I won't change my household temperature
6 (28.6%)
I will significantly cut the number of international and domestic flights I take
11 (52.4%)
I won't be cutting back on air travel
5 (23.8%)
I will noticeable reduce my consumption of consumer goods / clothing etc
13 (61.9%)
I won't reduce my consumption of these goods
3 (14.3%)
I don't believe climate change is real, so won't be doing anything.
1 (4.8%)
It's happening, but I don't want to change my lifestyle
1 (4.8%)
It's too late so I won't be doing anything (cop out option 1)
1 (4.8%)
Technological changes that'll solve the problem,  so I don't need to do anything (cop out option 2)
1 (4.8%)
Jaron option  (space aliens will arrive and save us from ourselves)
3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 30, 2019, 08:05:39 AM
I assumed ZIP would cover that. It would be trivial to get that data at least on a state level given the ZIP code.

That's what i figured as well, but then why did they put that drop down there?

The Brain

There seems to be a lot of focus on doing negative things to help. What about doing positive things?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2019, 09:01:41 PM
https://www3.epa.gov/carbon-footprint-calculator/

Calculate your carbon footprint.  Does not include air travel unfortunately.

I got 9,744 pounds a year.  US average is 24,550.
46,970  :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on December 30, 2019, 08:19:28 AM
There seems to be a lot of focus on doing negative things to help. What about doing positive things?

If we could just double the volume of the atmosphere, that would halve CO2 overnight.   :smarty:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

I'm moving to a new place.

It will make using the company bus viable, so that should help me drastically cut down on gas.
The building has much better insulation than my current place, so that will reduce my A/C and heating.

Most importantly though, I don't have kids.

Regarding food, eating veggies is not really viable for me. More than, for example, the amount of green peas in those tiny bachelor tins means a fun trip to the ER.

Grey Fox

No flying & reducing my consumption of goods are the main I do. No single use plastic, ever.

Reducing meat is hard in a household with someone who is soy intolerant.

My A/C & eating are already at a min & almost entirely emission less.

In 5 year I might be able to take public transport to get to work but first they have to finish building the infrastructure.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Guys, some good thoughtful stuff already being done.  :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on December 30, 2019, 01:08:46 PM
I'm moving to a new place.

It will make using the company bus viable, so that should help me drastically cut down on gas.
The building has much better insulation than my current place, so that will reduce my A/C and heating.

Regarding food, eating veggies is not really viable for me. More than, for example, the amount of green peas in those tiny bachelor tins means a fun trip to the ER.

Why is that important? I don't see how if you had a kid that would change any of the previous stuff you said :hmm:

Would your kids drive or rip up the insulation or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 29, 2019, 04:19:37 PMOne aspect of the meat side of this that I find challenging is that the meat that is best environmentally is worst from an animal welfare (and flavour - I would argue) perspective. The least environmentally harmful form of meat production is industrial farming, the worst is organic, free-range giving the animals a good life.

Meat is the enviornmentally friendly option in your case. Most of the Earth's landmass is only suitable to livestock or dairy farming, not ceral agriculture. Absolutely massive herds of ruminants have been part of the Earth's ecology since way before the dinosaur extinction. The issue is the carbon footprint of your meat. In your case I'd think the winner would be Welsh lamb, for instance. For our Spaniard languishbrahs it's locally raised pork.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on December 30, 2019, 10:53:35 AM
46,970  :showoff:

:blink:  How do you manage that?  Leave the car running all night long?  Open all the windows in winter?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: Iormlund on December 30, 2019, 01:08:46 PM

Forgot about that one  :)

Probably the best single thing you can do.

Legbiter

Why not just kill yourself then? That would turn you into a point decimal something insignificant in carbon decrease blahblah.

I feel like the most zealous here are just turning their Houellebecqian protagonist existence into something heroic.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.