News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US abandoning Kurds in Syria

Started by Maladict, October 07, 2019, 06:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:45:17 PM
Assad did a lot of fighting against ISIS.
uh... no.  That is simply not true.  Assad delibaretly left ISIS alone whenever possible because he chose, with Russian help, to attack the pro-democracy movements and any kind of group even thinking of protesting against Assad.  ISIS was just the last group to be attacked, once everyone else had been defeated.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 04:15:13 PM
How about Canada solves these problems if it's so easy?
We had troops there.  Our PM decided to pull them out, in an act of cowardice, just like your President is doing.  One moron to another, I don't understand why they ain't such better friends.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Great, and now my Facebook is overtaken by the Kurds fighting at XY jokes and rebukes and shit.

This is fucking insane. All of you people should be ashamed. At least Syt's sister is honest about being obsessed with Trump, unlike you lot.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on October 10, 2019, 09:55:47 AM
Great, and now my Facebook is overtaken by the Kurds fighting at XY jokes and rebukes and shit.

This is fucking insane. All of you people should be ashamed. At least Syt's sister is honest about being obsessed with Trump, unlike you lot.

I am ashamed. A massacre is about to happen to people who trusted us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Relax. Some people process this insanity through humor. Whose mind will be changed by handling it differently?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on October 10, 2019, 10:02:17 AM

Relax. Some people process this insanity through humor. Whose mind will be changed by handling it differently?

You are participating in the accidental, but still extremely useful effect of Trump's stupidity and recklessness: dominating discourse. One fucking sentence, and the whole grim, tragic topic has been turned into this running joke of listing where the Kurds were or were not, present. One sentence, and the entire discussion is continuing on Trump's terms.

We are fucking sheeps.

Eddie Teach

I hope Languish is self-aware enough to recognize that we are obsessed with Trump.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

And that changes what, exactly? Talking about the subject on "his terms" (as if he's doing it deliberately, like it's a considered strategy? Give me a break) doesn't modify the result in the least. He's still wrong, and no one's mind is being changed.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 10, 2019, 10:09:00 AM
I hope Languish is self-aware enough to recognize that we are obsessed with Trump.  :hmm:

But not just Trump. We are also obsessed with Brexit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 10, 2019, 10:09:00 AM

No kidding. He's the President. Of course we're going to over-discuss everything about him.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

The point is, you should ignore stupid inane shit like this. Let it fly over your head, not make it the bloody conversation of the week.

Habbaku

Which is a fair position, but one that will lead to me doing useful things with my time.  :hmm:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 09:17:44 PM
Is forever war against a country that hasn't attacked the United States the best you can offer?

I don't think I said anything about a forever war.  I've never heard of such a thing.

We were talking about alliances.  Alliances can be enduring.  The UK-Portugal alliance is over 200 years old.  The US developed many such relationships, especially since WW2.  If you are the sort of person who believes the US should limit its own direct commitment of overseas conflicts, that is a very desirable thing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 09:25:34 PM
Syria is. Assad didn't ask us to have soldiers their assisting the Kurds. Did you forget that we invaded his sovereign nation?

Assad does not own a sovereign nation; the very idea of a sovereign nation contradicts the concept of personal ownership. Assad does view Syria as his own personal property, which explains a lot of the troubles of that nation over the past decade.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.