News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What do we do about Michael Jackson?

Started by Barrister, March 08, 2019, 01:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I'm not so keen on automatically believing accusations against a person who 1) dead and 2) already been acquitted on similar charges.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on March 08, 2019, 04:34:31 PM
I'm not so keen on automatically believing accusations against a person who 1) dead and 2) already been acquitted on similar charges.

In coming to a personal opinion, I don't put much weight on 'acquitted at trial'.  After all, OJ was acquitted at trial.

I haven't seen the documentary in question, but apparently it is quite powerful.  MJ also paid off at least one other kid to stave off such allegations.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on March 08, 2019, 02:34:20 PM
How much more proof do you need than the detailed statements of two of Jackson's victims?

It's a little more tricky then that because both witnesses gave sworn statements in the 1990s contradicting their claims now, and one of them gave another statement a decade ago.

Both were minors when they made the 90s vintage statements and it is not unreasonable to think they were coerced in some way. I personally find the allegations credible but is not beyond any shadow of a doubt.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Monoriu

Nothing, he is dead.  One can be a horrible person and a criminal, and a good musician at the same time. 

katmai

All I know is makes it kinda icky to hear PYT from him anymore.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

It's a somewhat different case, but I still watch Kevin Spacey movies, and would watch more if he made them.

Not really an MJ fan, so not much is going to change for me.  There is a difference between listening to a song (or watching a movie) by yourself, and doing it as a public act.  For example I've stopped singing Sweet Home Alabama at karaoke because of the politics.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on March 08, 2019, 04:41:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 08, 2019, 04:34:31 PM

In coming to a personal opinion, I don't put much weight on 'acquitted at trial'.

Yeah, we know.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

If they weren't guilty, the prosecutor wouldn't have pursued the case, amirite?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 08, 2019, 03:02:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 08, 2019, 02:55:25 PM
triggering

Oh ffs.

Coming from a self-proclaimed conservative! That's rich, indeed!  :lol:
Who's next btw for the next auto-da-fé? Polanski? Make sure to burn the 35 mm original camera negatives too.

Threviel

Polanski is a good comparison. IIRC sentenced in a civil court for a brutal rape of a 13 year old and lauded in cultural sectors for his movies for a long time. It's quite hypocritical if he is tolerated and Jackson, with less proof, is damned.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on March 09, 2019, 09:11:00 AM
I already brought up Polanski.

You did a bad job then. Chinatown notwithstanding.