And we're back!

Main Menu

Fidel Castro Dead

Started by Habbaku, November 26, 2016, 12:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2016, 03:14:40 PM
I don't see how you know it's not a verbatim quote

Because he's not quoted as saying that.  That's what verbatim quote means.

Quoteand I don't see how you can say he said nothing close to what was quoted.  According to Veep's link he said calling honor killings barbaric was "objectionable."  That's pretty damn close to saying "you shouldn't call honor killings barbaric."

No the article says that the a government publication should not use the word "barbaric".  That's not the same thing. E.g.: In my opinion ISIS is a bunch of fucking scumbags.  But I would also view it inappropriate for an official US government publication to use that phrase. 

I also took the liberty of reading the Sun's story which contains a more complete and contextual version of his remarks:
Quote"There's nothing that the word 'barbaric' achieves that the words 'absolutely unacceptable' would not have achieved," Trudeau, the Liberal immigration critic, said.

"We accept that these acts are absolutely unacceptable. That's not the debate. In casual conversation, I'd even use the word barbaric to describe female circumcision, for example, but in an official Government of Canada publication, there needs to be a little bit of an attempt at responsible neutrality."

Trudeau is making a different point that the one that is being ascribed to him.  Its a questionable point that can disagreed with but putting a false quote him is not honest disagreement and not engaging with his point, such as it was.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 28, 2016, 03:27:23 PM

Thanks for the definition.  How do you know he didn't say that?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2016, 03:31:09 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 28, 2016, 03:27:23 PM

Thanks for the definition.  How do you know he didn't say that?

He has the actual quote of what Trudeau said in the post immediately above yours.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2016, 03:37:46 PM
He has the actual quote of what Trudeau said in the post immediately above yours.

Does the Sun article claim that what they reported is the sum total of Trudeau's statements about honor killing and barbarism?  Did they provide a transcript of his speech?

I concede Joan's point about mischaracterising Trudeau's meaning, but I'm confused how he can know the misquote is a misquote, unless he's listened to every word Trudeau has ever said.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2016, 03:44:07 PM

Does the Sun article claim that what they reported is the sum total of Trudeau's statements about honor killing and barbarism?  Did they provide a transcript of his speech?

I concede Joan's point about mischaracterising Trudeau's meaning, but I'm confused how he can know the misquote is a misquote, unless he's listened to every word Trudeau has ever said.

That is an interesting, and convenient, standard to take when it comes to deciding the veracity of a quote.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2016, 03:54:16 PM
It's a pretty silly question, though.

What makes it silly Jacob?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 28, 2016, 03:25:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2016, 03:08:27 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 28, 2016, 03:07:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2016, 01:11:09 PM
When in Rome.

:unsure:  Yes, go on.

Having torture camps in Cuba.

:( Never mind. 

Stay classy, Valmy :P

I think you completely misunderstand me. Or not.

I don't get the "classy" thing here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2016, 03:44:07 PM

I can only go by what I can see is reported.  It happened five years ago, I wasn't there and I don't have a recording.
I can only assume if he used those exact words, it would have been newsworthy enough of mention.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: grumbler on November 28, 2016, 03:16:34 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 28, 2016, 02:57:21 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 27, 2016, 03:33:31 PM
Imho yeah, Fidel Castro brought many good things to Cuba. He also brought shitloads of bad things that weren't all that necessary in order to bring the good ones. You don't need to become a repressive dictator for nearly 60 years in order to improve education and healthcare, and kick out the mob and its cronies.

I wish my leftie comrades were able to call a spade a spade.

The USA has yet to do any of that

Then no country ever has done that.  So what?  That truism doesn't detract from the point about the repressive dictatorship.

No country has ever improved education and healthcare?

The Minsky Moment

The US has improved healthcare.  Quite a bit.  Not healthcare insurance maybe, but healthcare yes.  And countries like Cuba have been able to free ride to a certain extent on those efforts.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 26, 2016, 04:59:07 PM
For the record, in case anyone was wondering, I would be proud if my President said the first quote. I would be disgusted and ashamed if my President said the second.

Your President is an international disgrace no matter what he says about Castro.
At least that is one thing we have in common with Poland now.
--Joan Robinson