News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

My town is 80% Californians. The New California Republic would go Putin on us to "protect" them.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 02, 2017, 06:44:08 PM
My town is 80% Californians. The New California Republic would go Putin on us to "protect" them.  :lol:

I don't think California would want to annex Nevada. No.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 01, 2017, 11:12:45 PM

QuoteDonald J. Trump Verified account  1h
‏@realDonaldTrump

Do you believe it? The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants from Australia. Why? I will study this dumb deal!

7:55 PM - 1 Feb 2017

He really doesn't understand what "illegal immigrants" are, does he? Fucking moron. :mad:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: garbon on February 02, 2017, 06:47:37 PM

Anywhere Californians have settled is Californian clay.  :mellow: We need a land corridor to Colorado, after all.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on February 02, 2017, 06:52:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 02, 2017, 06:47:37 PM

Anywhere Californians have settled is Californian clay.  :mellow: We need a land corridor to Colorado, after all.

Well only if they prevent us from siphoning water from the Colorado river.

Also, does that mean my flat is California?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 14h14 hours ago

If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view - NO FEDERAL FUNDS?

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 02, 2017, 07:48:54 PM
Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 14h14 hours ago

If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view - NO FEDERAL FUNDS?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 02, 2017, 05:19:39 PM
Not that I've seen, seems like a valid interpretation of the RFRA--which was bad law, but law nonetheless.

There's nothing in RFRA that would suggest that corporate shareholders have separate and independent *personal* standing to redress alleged wrongs to the corporation.  RFRA may do lots of things, but it doesn't turn state corporate law on its head. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on February 02, 2017, 11:51:10 AM

Option #2: Scrap the TPP, give a lot of leeway to China to be the dominant economic player in the area, beat the drums of war, send countless US soldiers to die against China, North Korea and stand alone there while you couldn't even win a war against Vietnam.

How is a Sino-American naval war (or a nuclear one) in any way comparable to either wars with Vietnam.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 02, 2017, 08:45:28 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 02, 2017, 11:51:10 AM

Option #2: Scrap the TPP, give a lot of leeway to China to be the dominant economic player in the area, beat the drums of war, send countless US soldiers to die against China, North Korea and stand alone there while you couldn't even win a war against Vietnam.

How is a Sino-American naval war (or a nuclear one) in any way comparable to either wars with Vietnam.

Bait:  TAKEN!

*pops popcorn*
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on February 02, 2017, 06:48:30 PM

‏@realDonaldTrump

Do you believe it? The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants from Australia. Why? I will study this dumb deal!

He really doesn't understand what "illegal immigrants" are, does he? Fucking moron. :mad:

I posed this question on Fb a few minutes ago.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on February 02, 2017, 08:58:53 PM

‏@realDonaldTrump

You got a peach cobbler Recipe in reply.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 02, 2017, 09:06:22 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 02, 2017, 08:58:53 PM

‏@realDonaldTrump

You got a peach cobbler Recipe in reply.

I think they're confused. Might sense a trap.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 02, 2017, 08:37:19 PMThere's nothing in RFRA that would suggest that corporate shareholders have separate and independent *personal* standing to redress alleged wrongs to the corporation.  RFRA may do lots of things, but it doesn't turn state corporate law on its head.

this is what I meant awhile back. where do you reach this conclusion?

the opinion quotes a supreme court case that states shareholders can bring suit if they have "a direct, personal interest in a cause of action . . . even if the corporation's rights are also implicated." as you know, private corporations are treated differently under corporate law than publicly held corporations. there's more direct control by private shareholders. and the opinion explains it isn't saying any shareholder in a private corporation has standing, it's saying controlling shareholders in a private corporation have such a hold on the corporation that they're affected as well as the corporation in this specific situation. requiring the corporation to provide this type of insurance is requiring this individual with controlling shares to provide insurance that goes against his religious beliefs.

this standing analysis is argued in multiple separates. and, gorsuch's separate convinced two other circuit court judges as I'm sure you know but isn't mentioned in your post. I could be wrong, but it seems like only two judges argued the individuals lacked standing. one of the two argued "well, -they- don't own the corporation, their trusts own the corporation."

there is a healthy dose of precedence that says in certain circumstances, "corporate shareholders have separate and independent *personal* standing to redress alleged wrongs to the corporation." so, I have no idea what you're talking about here. I get that you agree with the dissent, but when you're posting here and making it sound like it's this crazy opinion, very few law-trained posters are going to read the actual opinion. there were multiple valid interpretations here, and you agree with one, but that doesn't make the other(s) wrong or crazy

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 02, 2017, 01:02:18 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 02, 2017, 12:37:50 PM
It would be like a losers bracket game in the College World Series. The loser is eliminated from superpower status contention; the winner stays in the tourney.

The problem is then we have to beat Vietnam twice on short rest.

lulz

Just imagine the road game stretch with an aged Grenada.