News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2017, 06:49:11 PMMerely complying partially with one part of the court order doesn't make CBP compliant and, as Minsky noted, their active denial of legal counsel's access to detainees isn't a "chaotic mess" but a deliberate policy in violation of the court order.

it's CBP. it could easily be some mid-level dude with a stick up his ass saying "fuck those lawyahs and judges, I'm waiting for [XYZ]." it's not absolutely unheard of for some asshole office to deny lawyers access to their clients

The Larch

Quote from: Monoriu on January 29, 2017, 05:21:45 PM
It takes many years to acquire a foreign passport.  It maybe time for Americans to think about getting some form of insurance  :ph34r:

I believe the US doesn't allow its citizens to have any other citizenship, so getting a foreign passport for them means renouncing their US citizenship.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on January 29, 2017, 07:05:41 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 29, 2017, 05:21:45 PM
It takes many years to acquire a foreign passport.  It maybe time for Americans to think about getting some form of insurance  :ph34r:

I believe the US doesn't allow its citizens to have any other citizenship, so getting a foreign passport for them means renouncing their US citizenship.

That's incorrect. US has plenty of dual citizens. You just need to not be seen as to wanting to renounce your American citizenship when you elect to also become a citizen of another country.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

This thread should be renamed [...]Bannon presidency[...].

Did you guys discuss on how he basically took the place of a joint chief general on a National Security council?

What are these guys going to do when they are fed up of Bannon's bullshit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 29, 2017, 07:49:27 PM
This thread should be renamed [...]Bannon presidency[...].

Did you guys discuss on how he basically took the place of a joint chief general on a National Security council?

What are these guys going to do when they are fed up of Bannon's bullshit.

Be sent to the camps.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Martim Silva

Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2017, 07:11:09 PM
That's incorrect. US has plenty of dual citizens. You just need to not be seen as to wanting to renounce your American citizenship when you elect to also become a citizen of another country.

Dual citizens that were not US citizens by birth and with at least one parent born outside the US.

Law:

http://immigration.findlaw.com/citizenship/dual-citizenship.html

Acquiring Dual Citizenship

A person in the United States may acquire dual citizenship in one of several ways, including:

Being born in the United States to immigrant parents.

Being born outside the United States to one parent who is a U.S. citizen, and another parent who is a citizen of another country.

Becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen while maintaining citizenship in another country.

Regaining citizenship in a country of origin after having become a naturalized U.S. citizen.

If you hold multiple passports, it is important to keep those documents current and to use them appropriately in each country. You should also keep yourself apprised of citizenship requirements, such as tax obligations. If you do not fulfill your duties as a citizen to each country, you may be legally liable for those omissions.

Any other way and the US citizen has to renounce his/her citizenship.

Martim Silva

Btw, what's the salt?

IIRC, Obama took same measures to prevent the entry of Iranians in the past.

And the list of countries whose visas Trump for 90 days suspended was created by Obama, not Trump.

And reading the XO it doesn't suspend 'muslims', just citizens of the countries deemed dangerous by the Obama Administration. And it foresees exceptions to allow certain entries - like that Iranian diplomat, for example.

So, what's the beef? Democrats don't like the list a Democrat president created? Why weren't you against the suspension of visas to Iranians by Obama? Why weren't you against Executive Orders by Obama? You wanted Congress to keep quiet then, why do you want it to act now?

garbon

Quote from: Martim Silva on January 29, 2017, 08:17:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2017, 07:11:09 PM

Dual citizens that were not US citizens by birth and with at least one parent born outside the US.

Law:

http://immigration.findlaw.com/citizenship/dual-citizenship.html

Acquiring Dual Citizenship

A person in the United States may acquire dual citizenship in one of several ways, including:

Being born in the United States to immigrant parents.

Being born outside the United States to one parent who is a U.S. citizen, and another parent who is a citizen of another country.

Becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen while maintaining citizenship in another country.

Regaining citizenship in a country of origin after having become a naturalized U.S. citizen.

If you hold multiple passports, it is important to keep those documents current and to use them appropriately in each country. You should also keep yourself apprised of citizenship requirements, such as tax obligations. If you do not fulfill your duties as a citizen to each country, you may be legally liable for those omissions.

Any other way and the US citizen has to renounce his/her citizenship.

Interesting how your last sentence isn't supported by what your link says. Interesting.

Oh and here is what the US gov't actually says. Straight from the horse's mouth:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

QuoteThe concept of dual nationality means that a person is a national of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own nationality laws based on its own policy. Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. national parents may be both a U.S. national and a national of the country of birth.

A U.S. national may acquire foreign nationality by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. national may not lose the nationality of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another nationality does not risk losing U.S. nationality. However, a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct. The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. nationals may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist nationals abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also, Bill Bryson is an American who voluntarily applied for British citizenship a couple years back. He's a dual national of the US and UK. He renounced nothing nor had any citizenship stripped away.

grumbler

Martim Silva goes to bat for the Russian puppet, Trump.  Why am I not surprised?  :lol:

I predicted he would take this stance when I was lunching with the Andorran Ambassador last half-Whitsunday.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2017, 06:08:51 PM
Quote from: dps on January 29, 2017, 05:56:24 PM
Bullshit.  People do that all the time.

Your workplace must suck. :console:

Well, yes, actually, it does.

A typical situation at work (paraphrased):

My boss:  David, I want you to do X.

Me: OK.

I do X.

Next day.  My boss's boss:  David, WTF?  This isn't what I wanted done!

Me:  I just did what [my boss's name] told me to do.

That's actually a very common situation in many workplaces.  How badly it sucks mostly depends on how willing your boss is to step up and admit to their boss that what you did is in fact what you were told to do.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on January 29, 2017, 09:40:36 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2017, 06:08:51 PM
Quote from: dps on January 29, 2017, 05:56:24 PM
Bullshit.  People do that all the time.

Your workplace must suck. :console:

Well, yes, actually, it does.

A typical situation at work (paraphrased):

My boss:  David, I want you to do X.

Me: OK.

I do X.

Next day.  My boss's boss:  David, WTF?  This isn't what I wanted done!

Me:  I just did what [my boss's name] told me to do.

That's actually a very common situation in many workplaces.  How badly it sucks mostly depends on how willing your boss is to step up and admit to their boss that what you did is in fact what you were told to do.

That's not the kind of situation the phrase "I was just following orders" refers to, but: cool story, bro.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Phillip V

Damn. I "like" John McCain now.  Check out his posts.  Is he the highest profile Republican critic of Trump now?

https://www.facebook.com/johnmccain/

CountDeMoney

See?  TRUMP KNOWS MOAR THAN YOU

QuoteWorld
Five dead after gunmen open fire during evening prayers at Quebec City mosque, Reuters reports
By Washington Post Staff January 29 at 9:43 PM

A witness said up to three gunmen opened fire on about 40 people inside the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center during evening prayers Sunday, killing five people, the mosque's president told reporters, according to Reuters.

A witness told the news agency that up to three gunmen were involved in the attack. Police established a security perimeter around the mosque and declined to comment.

In June 2016, a pig's head was left on the doorstep of the center, Reuters said.

This is a developing story. It will be updated.

katmai

Clearly we can't let French Canadians into the US.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son