News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2017, 05:50:20 PM
might as well rephrase this as "who you think low-ranking agent #105 needs to hear from to get orders to obey the constitution he's sworn to uphold." people adhere to chain of command

Might as well make up your own facts?   :lmfao:  Okay, but don't expect your statements to have any credibility.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2017, 05:52:12 PMThis weekend was the first time since Nuremberg that anyone has trotted out the old "They vere chust following ordersss!" defense with any hope it would be swallowed.

I'm sure this sort of thing happens all the time. a court orders something, and it takes a bit of time for the actors involved to begin complying -- because everything needs to go through the chain of command, bureaucracy, whatever. the difference here is that it's a hugely high profile situation with a lot of intense emotions going on. that's all.

if this situation at dulles as currently known can be characterized as a constitutional crisis, then it dilutes the meaning of that phrase

dps

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2017, 05:52:12 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 29, 2017, 05:48:15 PM
Yeah, "waiting on orders" is no basis to deny access to counsel.  :huh:

At least in non-shit countries.

This weekend was the first time since Nuremberg that anyone has trotted out the old "They vere chust following ordersss!" defense with any hope it would be swallowed.

Bullshit.  People do that all the time.

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2017, 05:53:51 PM
might as well rephrase this as "who you think low-ranking agent #105 needs to hear from to get orders to obey the constitution he's sworn to uphold." people adhere to chain of command

Might as well make up your own facts?   :lmfao:

what fact am I making up in that post...

CountDeMoney

[CustomsGuyAtTheAirport]
WTF WE DIDNT EVEN GET A MEMO WHERE THE DIRECTIVES MANUAL IS THERE SOMETHING FOR THIS IN THERE
[/CustomsGuyAtTheAirport]

#OttoWorkingWeekendsNow

LaCroix

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2017, 05:57:01 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2017, 05:53:51 PM

Might as well make up your own facts?   :lmfao:

what fact am I making up in that post...

That "low-ranking agent #105" is the point man in not complying with the court order. 

It is not credible to argue that the head of CBP did not knew about the court order and did not refused to allow his agents to comply.  The alternative, that, somehow, CBP has managed to create a branch at Dulles International Airport that is unable to communicate with its HQ 40 miles away, and vice-versa, is no more credible. "Low-ranking agent #105" was not on an island, here.  He had his orders, and those orders violated the court order.

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2017, 06:14:48 PMThat "low-ranking agent #105" is the point man in not complying with the court order. 

It is not credible to argue that the head of CBP did not knew about the court order and did not refused to allow his agents to comply.  The alternative, that, somehow, CBP has managed to create a branch at Dulles International Airport that is unable to communicate with its HQ 40 miles away, and vice-versa, is no more credible. "Low-ranking agent #105" was not on an island, here.  He had his orders, and those orders violated the court order.

I'm not pretending to know the exact internal workings of these CBP branches, but some branches are releasing detainees, and others aren't. why would some branches release and other branches not release, while CBP is announcing it's complying with the federal order? because this is a chaotic mess and people don't know wtf is going on

a constitutional crisis is something more than chaos delaying compliance. and yi, if this belief makes me stupid, then go right ahead and believe that

mongers

Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2017, 05:45:54 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 29, 2017, 05:44:30 PMOn what basis are they denying access to counsel?

some dude probably doesn't want to risk losing his job, so he's waiting until further orders

Your refusal to recognise periods or distrust of a capital is instructive, things you seem to share with much of the Trumps crowd.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Off to another protest tomorrow. I feel like it has been only just a week or so since my last one...:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 29, 2017, 03:54:39 PM
He really outdid himelf this time.
Commemorates Holocaust Remembrance Day with a present day re-enactment of the Voyage of the Damned.  This is real test for what's left of self-respect in the GOP.  It's not just toleration of ignornance, incompetence, boorishness, terrible judgment, and naive manipulation by a foreign government.  This crosses the line to moral evil. 

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2017, 06:27:11 PM
I'm not pretending to know the exact internal workings of these CBP branches, but some branches are releasing detainees, and others aren't. why would some branches release and other branches not release, while CBP is announcing it's complying with the federal order? because this is a chaotic mess and people don't know wtf is going on

a constitutional crisis is something more than chaos delaying compliance. and yi, if this belief makes me stupid, then go right ahead and believe that

Merely complying partially with one part of the court order doesn't make CBP compliant and, as Minsky noted, their active denial of legal counsel's access to detainees isn't a "chaotic mess" but a deliberate policy in violation of the court order. 

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on January 29, 2017, 05:21:45 PM
It takes many years to acquire a foreign passport.  It maybe time for Americans to think about getting some form of insurance  :ph34r:
:ph34r:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2017, 06:47:33 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 29, 2017, 03:54:39 PM
He really outdid himelf this time.
Commemorates Holocaust Remembrance Day with a present day re-enactment of the Voyage of the Damned.  This is real test for what's left of self-respect in the GOP.  It's not just toleration of ignornance, incompetence, boorishness, terrible judgment, and naive manipulation by a foreign government.  This crosses the line to moral evil. 

:yes:

Sad part is, we'll be saying he really outdid himself this time next week as well.