News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 27, 2022, 02:12:25 PMThe way it will likely play out is they do nothing substantive before the 2024 election.

He'll pardon himself once he's president  again  ;)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 27, 2022, 02:12:25 PMThe way it will likely play out is they do nothing substantive before the 2024 election.

Why? Do we want to arrange it so criminals can win elected office?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2022, 03:33:09 PMWhy? Do we want to arrange it so criminals can win elected office?

I guess they're afraid that if the prosecute Trump, the next Republican president wil:

1) Pardon Trump, or
2) Prosecute previous Democrat presidents purely as payback, or
3) Both of the above.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on July 27, 2022, 05:39:09 PMI guess they're afraid that if the prosecute Trump, the next Republican president wil:

1) Pardon Trump, or
3) Both of the above.

1) So what?
2) unlikely - game theory it out and there is little upside and much downside
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Seems to me Donald is immune from prosecution because of the impeachment and double jeopardy.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2022, 07:53:18 PMSeems to me Donald is immune from prosecution because of the impeachment and double jeopardy.

No the impeachment proceeding is a political proceeding with only political consequences, it is not a prosecution that triggers jeopardy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2022, 07:56:48 PMNo the impeachment proceeding is a political proceeding with only political consequences, it is not a prosecution that triggers jeopardy.

Not 100% political.  There was that famous DOJ memo that said a sitting president could not be indicted for criminal offenses and that the recourse if he or she committed a crime was impeachment.

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2022, 07:35:07 PM1) So what?

Removing much of the joy I'd get from seeing Trump paying the penalty. But if a conviction stops him from running, that's already pretty great. But will it?

Quote2) unlikely - game theory it out and there is little upside and much downside

Well, if the GOP gets to a place where they think they won't lose the presidency again the the downside is pretty much gone, no?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2022, 08:57:10 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2022, 07:56:48 PMNo the impeachment proceeding is a political proceeding with only political consequences, it is not a prosecution that triggers jeopardy.

Not 100% political.  There was that famous DOJ memo that said a sitting president could not be indicted for criminal offenses and that the recourse if he or she committed a crime was impeachment.

Again, that has nothing to do with the concept of criminal jeopardy.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on July 27, 2022, 09:05:25 PMWell, if the GOP gets to a place where they think they won't lose the presidency again the the downside is pretty much gone, no?

If it comes to that a political prosecution of Joe Biden will be the least of our problems.  And whether or not Merrick Garland set a precedent will have near zero impact on their conduct.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 27, 2022, 05:39:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2022, 03:33:09 PMWhy? Do we want to arrange it so criminals can win elected office?

I guess they're afraid that if the prosecute Trump, the next Republican president wil:

1) Pardon Trump, or
3) Both of the above.

I fail to see any of this worse than a man who tried to overthrow the republic having a chance to do it again. In fact none of that is even remotely comparably bad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Trump has already said that if he gets elected again he wants Congress to grant him emergency powers
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2022, 10:56:58 PMTrump has already said that if he gets elected again he wants Congress to grant him emergency powers

:wacko:

I guess his pitch is to use democracy to abolish democracy.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 28, 2022, 09:51:20 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2022, 10:56:58 PMTrump has already said that if he gets elected again he wants Congress to grant him emergency powers

:wacko:

I guess his pitch is to use democracy to abolish democracy.

His pitch has always been that the country is in mortal danger from...um...somebody I am not sure and the only way to save it is to elect him. Of course we already elected him and he didn't do any saving to the extent we needed any saving.

But it is unacceptable that he get back into office. I will take any other shitshow Republican that hasn't tried to overthrow the republic yet. I feel like even politicians, who seem to be considered above the law right now for some reason despite being overwhelmingly hated by most of the population, should be held accountable for something that extreme.

Especially as my cousin and his colleagues were the victims of his little coup attempt.

Is that too much to ask? I get that our politicians are freely allowed to lie, cheat, steal, and rape but maybe the justice department should do something if they try to overthrow the government? Maybe? Especially as most of them are incredibly unpopular.

Jacob