What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I day will come when we'll live in a world no longer blighted by Trump.

Though I doubt Trumpism will die with him.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Koch funded Libertarian think tank concluses Bernie's medicare for all plan would save the US 2 trillion dollars over 10 years.

www.peoplespolicyproject.org/2018/07/30/mercatus-study-finds-medicare-for-all-saves-2-trillion/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 31, 2018, 04:37:46 AM
Koch funded Libertarian think tank concluses Bernie's medicare for all plan would save the US 2 trillion dollars over 10 years.

www.peoplespolicyproject.org/2018/07/30/mercatus-study-finds-medicare-for-all-saves-2-trillion/

The US healthcare system is something to admire. It makes them pretty much the only developed country without universal healthcare, yet they spend more tax money on it than most other countries, as I understand. A truly epic combination of the worst of both approaches.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 31, 2018, 04:58:57 AM

The US healthcare system is something to admire. It makes them pretty much the only developed country without universal healthcare, yet they spend more tax money on it than most other countries, as I understand. A truly epic combination of the worst of both approaches.

Not to take away from your point (as it is true we have a mess of a system), it isn't that surprising that we could spend more money than other countries as most countries in the world have smaller populations than we do. ;)

Definitely a case to be made though that I think we also spend more money per person.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2018, 06:28:49 AM

Not to take away from your point (as it is true we have a mess of a system), it isn't that surprising that we could spend more money than other countries as most countries in the world have smaller populations than we do. ;)

Definitely a case to be made though that I think we also spend more money per person.

You do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_total_health_expenditure_per_capita

The extra spending doesn't seem to have much influence on life expectancy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 31, 2018, 06:49:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2018, 06:28:49 AM

You do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_total_health_expenditure_per_capita

The extra spending doesn't seem to have much influence on life expectancy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Sorry, if I phrased it poorly, my comment was that the evidence in support of our system being fucked is that we pay more per person not overall expenditure.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Isn't it so obvious that people mean "per person" that it goes without saying, and in fact saying it is just adding clutter to conversation?

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2018, 07:22:42 AM
Isn't it so obvious that people mean "per person" that it goes without saying, and in fact saying it is just adding clutter to conversation?

Well yes of course I meant per person, otherwise it makes no sense to compare.

garbon

I don't think so no. There's a reason why they are different terms. :o

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2018, 07:43:57 AM

Humans have the concept of context so that they don't have to make a simple statement with a list of disclaimers the size of Apple contract in order to not be misunderstood.  It's a heuristic kind of thing, but it works pretty well most of the time.  Give it a go when you have some time.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2018, 07:47:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2018, 07:43:57 AM

Humans have the concept of context so that they don't have to make a simple statement with a list of disclaimers the size of Apple contract in order to not be misunderstood.  It's a heuristic kind of thing, but it works pretty well most of the time.  Give it a go when you have some time.

Seems a bit dramatic to say that statement a is cluttering a conversation when compared to statement b.

a) It makes them pretty much the only developed country without universal healthcare, yet they spend more tax money per person on it than most other countries, as I understand.

b)It makes them pretty much the only developed country without universal healthcare, yet they spend more tax money on it than most other countries, as I understand.

The Brain

If a statement is meaningless or retarded using interpretation A, and makes perfect sense using interpretation B, it is often closer to the truth to go with interpretation B. And even if it isn't it's the polite thing to do.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon