What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

QuoteMr. Trump took to Twitter Friday morning to falsely claim that Canada has a "really high" trade surplus with the U.S.; according to the U.S.'s own numbers, Canada actually ran an $8.4-billion trade deficit with the U.S. last year.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/international-business/us-business/article-trump-blasts-canada-as-highly-restrictive-threatens-lumber-in/

Valmy

Sure is frustrating being on the receiving end of his BS isn't it? Because he dictates the reality, nobody cares about the facts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

He never counts about service. He only deals in goods.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2018, 11:57:12 AM
QuoteMr. Trump took to Twitter Friday morning to falsely claim

Redundant at this point.  Trump, twitter, and claim, ergo false.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Better stock up on canned goods, gold coins and ammunition.

https://www.axios.com/the-trump-deadline-effect--8a2f6f17-d49a-4d7a-879e-9805272e21b0.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic
QuoteThe Trump deadline effect

One of the under-reported ways Donald Trump has changed Washington: Deadlines suddenly matter. We saw it last week when Trump hit allies — the European Union, Mexico and Canada — with steep steel and aluminum tariffs.

Why it matters: Trump had announced these tariffs back in March, but exempted some key trading partners. Trade lawyers and lobbyists following the situation told me they expected Trump to extend the deadlines when they expired on June 1, rather than throw these key relationships into further turmoil.

•But Trump didn't do that. He enforced the deadline, as he'd done previously when he terminated the Iran deal.
•And now, many on Capitol Hill worry that later this year he'll use another key deadline — the September government funding bill — to play chicken with funding for the wall.

John Stipicevic, a lobbyist with the pulse of House Republican conference (formerly Kevin McCarthy's floor director), told me this trend became so stark to him that he sent a note to clients on Friday warning them about it.
•"There's been an attitude around this town for a long time that deadlines and expiration dates don't really matter," Stipicevic told me. "As deadlines and expiration dates are approaching there's this kind of casual attitude of 'Oh, time for another extension. No big deal. Time for another CR [short-term government funding extension].'"
•"With this administration there needs to be a re-evaluation of that approach," Stipicevic added. "Clearly, deadlines and expiration dates are going to be used as leverage in this administration."
•"I don't think he's going to accept a bad deal because it's just easier to do a clean extension."

What's next: At the end of September, government funding is set to expire and Congress will ask Trump to sign another deal. Hill Republicans want Trump to sign a short-term funding bill, rather than shut down the government so close to the midterms. But nobody I've spoken to is 100% confident he'll do that.
•A senior administration official told me that a number of Republicans Trump respects have privately told the president it would not be in his political interests to shutter the government so close to the midterm elections. The source said Trump appeared to be receptive to that argument.
•The real deadline, the source added, is likely shortly after the midterms. Based on private conversations, there's no reason to think Trump will keep the government open if he doesn't get wall funding.

The bottom line: A source close to Trump told me the line "but you said..." is one of the most powerful lines you can use with the president when he's considering going down a different policy path than the one he previously promised. "If I'm talking to him later in the year when they're talking about this, I'd be saying 'but you said...'"
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2018, 12:07:15 AM
Better stock up on canned goods, gold coins and ammunition.

More Tim alarmism.

I guess Tim is now the left wing version of all those idiot goldbugs on the right when Obama was elected.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

So Trump was tweeting this morning (presumably during his "executive time") that he has the power to pardon himself, and that the appointment of the special counsel was unconstitutional.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Our politicians are doing their best to go on the US news shows to let Americans know how ridiculous it is to declare your closest ally to be a national security threat.  But I am afraid all of that gets lost in the next thing this President pronounces.  It is as if the people that support him have lost all touch with reality and only watch Fox - which I suppose is a symbiotic relationship.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/u-s-tariffs-canada-insulting-trudeau-1.4689819

Zanza

Germany has invited the new US ambassador (only in office for a few weeks) to the foreign office to explain a Breitbart interview where he said he wants to support conservative forces in Europe. According to the Vienna Convention, ambassadors are not supposed to meddle in the domestic affairs of their host state.

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on June 04, 2018, 01:04:38 PM
Germany has invited the new US ambassador (only in office for a few weeks) to the foreign office to explain a Breitbart interview where he said he wants to support conservative forces in Europe. According to the Vienna Convention, ambassadors are not supposed to meddle in the domestic affairs of their host state.

What's stopping Germany from sending him back to the US? Apart from giving him a chance to take it back.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maladict on June 04, 2018, 01:32:11 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 04, 2018, 01:04:38 PM

What's stopping Germany from sending him back to the US? Apart from giving him a chance to take it back.

The likelihood the Trump administration would simply appoint another person of similar intelligence?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Maladict on June 04, 2018, 01:32:11 PM
What's stopping Germany from sending him back to the US?

Pity on the United States.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

25 point dem shift in Missouri

https://twitter.com/matthewjdowd/status/1004181692515520514
QuoteThe Dems just flipped another seat in Missouri, a State Senate District Trump won in 2016 by 5%, the Dem tonight won by 20%. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Trump to appeal court ruling that he can't block people on Twitter.

I'm starting to see why people want tax cuts if the money is going to be spent like this.