Started by CountDeMoney, October 23, 2016, 07:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on October 24, 2016, 06:14:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2016, 01:41:22 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 23, 2016, 01:35:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 23, 2016, 01:33:57 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 23, 2016, 11:45:59 AM
What do you need to bring to vote in the US? The voter thingie you get in the mail?

It operates on the honor system, basically.  You give them your name and address, and if it matches a name and address on the voter register, and someone at the poll doesn't know that's not you, you can vote.

Utterly baffling from the perspective of the rest of the world.

And that's why the rest of you get a puny little portion and we run the game with the whole lot.

Ok? Did that make you feel good little buddy?  :console:

Oh you here to talk about your one insignificant country after another?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I guess my thinking on this is have every new voters registration be a photo ID and just grandfather the old ones in for awhile until eventually everybody is moved over. That would solve the issue without being overly burdensome I would think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2016, 08:02:31 PM
I guess my thinking on this is have every new voters registration be a photo ID and just grandfather the old ones in for awhile until eventually everybody is moved over. That would solve the issue without being overly burdensome I would think.

I would think this would create equal protection issues.

katmai

What do you need to bring to vote in the US? The voter thingie you get in the mail?

It operates on the honor system, basically.  You give them your name and address, and if it matches a name and address on the voter register, and someone at the poll doesn't know that's not you, you can vote.
Maybe it is because of the PFD, but Alaska that isn't the case to my knowledge.

QuoteWhen entering your polling place, the election worker will ask you for a piece of identification. The following documents may be used for identification:

voter ID card, driver's license, state ID card, or military ID card;
    passport, hunting or fishing license; or
    other current or valid photo identification.

You may also present one of the following forms of identification if it includes your name and current address:

current utility bill or pay check;
    government check or bank statement; or
    other government issued document.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Zoupa

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2016, 06:27:21 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 24, 2016, 06:14:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2016, 01:41:22 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 23, 2016, 01:35:19 PM

Utterly baffling from the perspective of the rest of the world.

And that's why the rest of you get a puny little portion and we run the game with the whole lot.

Ok? Did that make you feel good little buddy?  :console:

Oh you here to talk about your one insignificant country after another?

Actually I was talking about yours in this thread, because I'm curious about other countries and not an insecure faggot.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2016, 08:05:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2016, 08:02:31 PM

I would think this would create equal protection issues.

Would it? It would be the exact same document as before just with a photo on it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 23, 2016, 05:15:48 PM
Quote from: Liep on October 23, 2016, 05:12:09 PM
But you would have to organize it to get an effect from it and that's where the difficulties come in I guess.

All you would need are some precinct captains who know people who don't mind cheating.

how do you organize this to have a material impact without the plan getting revealed?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on October 24, 2016, 10:26:06 PM
how do you organize this to have a material impact without the plan getting revealed?

I don't.

Berkut

He doesn't.

All you need to justify racial vote suppression is a fig leaf of plausibility. It doesn't need to actually hold up to thought or reason, since people who are in favor of racially driven voter suppression are generally neither thoughtful or reasonable.

It all falls apart very quickly once you put a modicum of objective analysis into the issue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 23, 2016, 02:06:14 PM
Bottom line, I think, is for the US to reform the voter registration system fairly it would need a well administered national ID program of some sort. If that's not in place then any call for ID to vote basically boils down to partisan attempts at voter disenfranchisement.
They don't need a national ID program, the States are running the election process.  All they need is a state wide ID for all states.  Even in Canada, we don't have a well administered national ID program, we have id papers from our provinces that we use for all elections.  Passport can work too, but that's not really for internal use, so I wouldn't count it as national ID.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

The States do issue IDs, they are just difficult to get for some people and cost money. Hence the problem.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 25, 2016, 08:13:26 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 23, 2016, 02:06:14 PM
Bottom line, I think, is for the US to reform the voter registration system fairly it would need a well administered national ID program of some sort. If that's not in place then any call for ID to vote basically boils down to partisan attempts at voter disenfranchisement.
They don't need a national ID program, the States are running the election process.  All they need is a state wide ID for all states.  Even in Canada, we don't have a well administered national ID program, we have id papers from our provinces that we use for all elections.  Passport can work too, but that's not really for internal use, so I wouldn't count it as national ID.

There are state IDs but you have to pay for them.

edit: V beat me! :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2016, 10:41:07 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on October 24, 2016, 10:26:06 PM

I don't.

I don't believe in "strike as unresponsive" because experts have argued that looks weak in front of a jury :P

viper37

The election could be rigged

In some dozen states, the electronic voting machine leave no paper trail, nothing to audit.  So if a participant claims there is voter's fraud, in say Pennsylvania, it will be impossible to prove or disprove the fraud.

QuoteIn 58 of the state's 67 counties, including those comprising its two largest cities -- Philadelphia and Pittsburgh -- once a vote is cast, it exists only in electronic format. That means if the election is close -- and Clinton fails to sweep the state by a landslide margin -- Trump's claim that the system is "rigged" will be virtually impossible to disprove.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Gups

There have been a number of accusations of fraud in previous elections - 1960 in particular. Anyone know off hand what the GOP accused Daley/LBJ of having actually done?