WW2 Weapons Platforms: What accomplished the most with the least?

Started by CountDeMoney, July 03, 2009, 06:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

The 88; started out as a flack cannon, ended up as maybe the most flexible gun of the war.  IIRC, one of the major tank's cannons (the Tiger II?) was basically an 88 with treds and supremely thick armor. 

PPSh 41 was a great gun.  Didn't jam as much, didn't break down.  The Germans often ditched their over-designed POSes for it. 

Maybe something like 40 year old Mosin Nagants in the hands of Russian Partisans.  Red Orchestra was pretty goddamn important in the West, one of the crucial factors behind the eventual Western victory.

I was going to suggest the Browning .50 cal and the M1911, but I wouldn't call those pieces of shit. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Mr.Penguin

The 81mm Stokes-Brandt mortar, the daddy of all modern mortars. Providing reliable fire support for infantry units on a company and battalion level. Used by all sides doing war...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Tonitrus

Hitler accomplished the most with the least amount of sanity.  Most victories and defeats.

Alatriste

I'm not sure which one offered the best bangs for bucks relationship, but I have some candidates:

- V-1. Cheap, crude, shitty, improvised... but the Allies had to use a disproportionate quantity of resources to fight them.

- All land mines, and up to a certain extent sea ones too. They just get no respect.

- Katyusha rockets? Not sure about this one, in fact.

- The first weapon in every infantryman's arsenal: the shovel.

And I'm against including the Garand. It was actually more advanced and expensive than most rifles 1939-1945 (by the way, I just love to read 'Infantry Weapons' by John Weeks. Good book in every sense of the word, informative and funny; I always get funny looks when I say I read it for his style... )

Warspite

The Mosquito.

It was made with balsa wood, for God's sake.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Norgy

The Pepeschka.

And, needless to say, the T-34. A simple, almost pedestrian tank, yet deadly effective against German armour.

But I also agree with Seedy on the Sherman. It won the war, despite its flaws.

Josquius

Quote from: Warspite on July 04, 2009, 05:42:09 AM
The Mosquito.

Pretty much exactly what I wrote until I noticed you'd already said it.
Except I said plywood.
██████
██████
██████

Strix

I'd say the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk (aka Tomahawk).

It first flew in 1938 and was used until the end of the war. It lacked a lot of innovations of newer planes but was rugged enough that it begin as an air superiority fighter and ended up still being a functional close air support fighter by the end of the war. It was also used by over 25+ different nations.

Notable pilots of the plane were Claire Chennault, Gregory Boyington (before he went on to fly in the Black Sheep), and Nikolai Fyodorovich Kuznetsov (a Hero of the Soviet Union).

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Razgovory

Quote from: Norgy on July 04, 2009, 05:53:35 AM
The Pepeschka.

And, needless to say, the T-34. A simple, almost pedestrian tank, yet deadly effective against German armour.

But I also agree with Seedy on the Sherman. It won the war, despite its flaws.

I don't know how effective it was against German armor.  What do you suppose the kill ratios between the German tanks and Russian tanks were?

In my opinion the Sherman was a pretty good tank.  When it was first produced it wasn't cutting edge but better then anything the British had and most of what Germany had.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Razgovory on July 04, 2009, 11:34:34 AM

In my opinion the Sherman was a pretty good tank.  When it was first produced it wasn't cutting edge but better then anything the British had and most of what Germany had.

In reguard to the british doesnt that say much, as the British armor at that time was pretty much a joke...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Admiral Yi

Pz III variants.  Conquered France and half of Russia with a 50 mm gun.  No points for beating up the Brits in North Africa.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2009, 03:28:25 PM
Pz III variants.  Conquered France and half of Russia with a 50 mm gun.  No points for beating up the Brits in North Africa.

37mm for the most part.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Warspite on July 04, 2009, 05:42:09 AM
The Mosquito.

Yeah, but it was actually a pretty advanced design, with real good engines and a heck of an arms load.

KRonn

Yeah, Swordfish was good for a supposedly outdated biplane; punched way above its weight.

I'll say P-40 as well, and also I can agree with the F4 Wildcat. Both those planes held their own or adapted, being up against much better opponents. P40 as a fighter bomber or such through the war. P-39 also perhaps, used by the Soviets as a decent ground attack plane, I believe.

T-34 would be about tops on the list, unless it would be considered an advanced design, though the argument can be made that it was simplicity yet uber effective.

Sherman tanks. Yeah, so many of them, I guess pretty versatile. But I'm not sure if they punched above their weight more than did well by sheer numbers and reliability. Later versions I think it could be argued punched about their weight, with the 76mm guns and better armor. Brit Firefly and the US variant.