News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rio Olympics - Shaping up to be a disaster?

Started by Berkut, July 05, 2016, 08:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 05, 2016, 12:08:39 PM
I have never cared about spear throwing or hurdles before, and I will continue to not care during these Olympics as well.

You will care after trump sparks wwiii, and this may be your last chance to observe expert spear throwing techniques on tv.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

I have never cared about spear throwing or hurdles before, and I will continue to not care during these Olympics as well.
:hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2016, 12:07:50 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2016, 08:47:05 AM
They got it through bribes, same as every third world country that gets it.

Everyone's expected a disaster for at least the last couple of years. This is not surprising.

Tim, does it blow your mind to read the posts disproving your statement that everyone expected a disaster?

By everyone I mean the analysts, not the mouthbreathers on Languish.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

I hope you're not trying to teach your students how to talk smack.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 05, 2016, 06:51:50 PM
I hope you're not trying to teach your students how to talk smack.

I've got around 15 kids that are fluent in English. They're already pretty good at it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2016, 06:44:52 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2016, 12:07:50 PM
They got it through bribes, same as every third world country that gets it.

Everyone's expected a disaster for at least the last couple of years. This is not surprising.

Tim, does it blow your mind to read the posts disproving your statement that everyone expected a disaster?

By everyone I mean the analysts, not the mouthbreathers on Languish.

RH and BB are mouthbreathers?  :hmm:

Tim, keep in mind that your "analysts" are journalists, which means their jobs are increasingly about generating clickbait articles. No one is going to be excited about a story along the lines of, "there is going to be crime during the Olympics. there has been a massive amount of corruption to get ready for the games, but not as much as in Russia, which set the standard on that score. a decent portion of the infrastructure promised for the olympics doesn't seem to be coming to fruition. But the competition venues are basically complete, and it appears that most hiccups will be offstage and the Olympic competition that takes center stage will be mostly unaffected, and will produce the memorable moments we tune in to the Olympics to see."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Traditional Olympic journalist excesses or not, still doesn't change the fact Brazil is a third world shithole.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2016, 10:53:06 PM
Traditional Olympic journalist excesses or not, still doesn't change the fact Brazil is a third world shithole.

Now now they're lets fortunate than us.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Hamilcar

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2016, 10:53:06 PM

Been there, can confirm.

The Larch

They got it through bribes, same as every country that gets it.

FYP.

And if you guys consider Brasil to be 3rd world, what does that make of the real 3rd world?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2016, 12:11:39 PM

You will care after trump sparks wwiii, and this may be your last chance to observe expert spear throwing techniques on tv.

if Trump kicks of WW3 spearthrowers will be our next overlords!

DGuller

dps

Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2016, 03:53:55 AM

And if you guys consider Brasil to be 3rd world, what does that make of the real 3rd world?

Brazil doesn't have a fully developed modern economy, and they're not a Communist country.  That makes 'em Third World.  A less shitty part of the Third World than, say, Haiti or the Sudan, but still Third World.

The Larch

Quote from: dps on July 06, 2016, 08:00:47 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2016, 03:53:55 AM

Brazil doesn't have a fully developed modern economy, and they're not a Communist country.  That makes 'em Third World.  A less shitty part of the Third World than, say, Haiti or the Sudan, but still Third World.

What do they lack to have a fully developed modern economy, then?

Valmy

Third World? Hey the personal Putin Empire of BRICS is going to rule the world any day now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."