News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rio Olympics - Shaping up to be a disaster?

Started by Berkut, July 05, 2016, 08:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

So, lots of fun articles in the news about the Rio Olympics, scheduled to start in a month.

We've got cops shooting lots and lots of people, and bitching because they aren't getting paid to do so:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/05/sport/rio-olympics-2016-security/index.html

Of course there is the Zika virus thing.

And now apparently there is some kind of issue with drug resistant bacteria:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/05/americas/rio-de-janeiro-super-bacteria/index.html

According to lead researcher Renata Picao, the "super bacteria" entered the city's waterways when sewage coming from local hospitals got channeled into the bay.

"It's a nice sailing area but every time you get some water in your face, it feels like there's some alien enemy entering your face," German Paralympic sailor Heiko Kroger said during a recent visit to Rio. "I keep my nose and my lips closed."

Kroger believes the super bacteria may have caused a severe skin infection in one of his teammates during recent training.

How in the hell did Rio get the Olympics when it is such a disaster?

Or is this being exaggerated for journalistic lolz?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

They got it through bribes, same as every third world country that gets it.

Everyone's expected a disaster for at least the last couple of years. This is not surprising.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

It's curious considering they already had the far more important world cup. I wonder what impact that had on attitudes.
I bet it has made things worse vs if they just had the Olympics
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 05, 2016, 08:44:09 AM
How in the hell did Rio get the Olympics when it is such a disaster?

Or is this being exaggerated for journalistic lolz?
It could be both. 

These days Olympics are sought after mainly by shitholes, to show how much of a not-shithole they are.  The non-shitholes are just content to continue not being shitholes, and not hosting Olympic games helps with that plan.

It could also be exaggerated.  Remember how Sochi games were supposed to be such a disaster?  It didn't really work out that way once the games started.  :(

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Richard Hakluyt

It is unfortunate that Brazil hit the skids just before their big party. I suspect that all will be well though, most places seem to have pulled out the extra to put on a good show in the past.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Dont know why they wanted it in the first place. They never recovered from the World Cup.
PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 05, 2016, 09:13:10 AM
Go back to #tinder.
If countries want to 'compete' then they should just invade each other. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

This is standard operating procedure for the media before any olympic games.  Remember the run-up to Sochi?  Hell remember the run-up to the Brazil World Cup just two years ago?

I'm sure the games will be fine.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

A lot of the preparatory work for the Olympics are nice to haves.  It will be nice to have more bridges or underground lines, but the games can go ahead without them.  Most people watch from a screen anyway.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 05, 2016, 09:43:39 AM
This is standard operating procedure for the media before any olympic games.  Remember the run-up to Sochi?  Hell remember the run-up to the Brazil World Cup just two years ago?

I'm sure the games will be fine.

Those Sochi hotel rooms were hilarious.  This is going to be way worse.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2016, 08:47:05 AM
They got it through bribes, same as every third world country that gets it.

Everyone's expected a disaster for at least the last couple of years. This is not surprising.

Tim, does it blow your mind to read the posts disproving your statement that everyone expected a disaster?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Hamilcar

I have never cared about spear throwing or hurdles before, and I will continue to not care during these Olympics as well.