The Summer 2016 UK Political and Constitutional Crisis

Started by mongers, June 20, 2016, 05:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2016, 04:19:26 PM
Quote from: dps on July 03, 2016, 12:22:56 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 02, 2016, 04:55:43 PM
Interesting that the first anti-democratic forces on the march, so to speak, are from the Centre and Left.

Not a bit surprising to me.

Yes, because the Right is so often the bastion of democracy.

The modern Left and the modern Right both have authoritarian and anti-authoritarian elements.  The difference is that the authoritarian Right tends to be pretty up-front about it, while the authoritarian Left tends to pretend to care about freedom and individual rights.

garbon

Quote from: dps on July 03, 2016, 05:16:10 PM
Interesting that the first anti-democratic forces on the march, so to speak, are from the Centre and Left.

The modern Left and the modern Right both have authoritarian and anti-authoritarian elements.  The difference is that the authoritarian Right tends to be pretty up-front about it, while the authoritarian Left tends to pretend to care about freedom and individual rights.

So meaningless drivel then unless you've evidence that the protesters were so called authoritarian Leftists.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2016, 05:26:15 PM

So meaningless drivel then unless you've evidence that the protesters were so called authoritarian Leftists.

I wasn't claiming any great insight, just stating that anti-democratic attitudes on the Left don't surprise me.

garbon

Quote from: dps on July 03, 2016, 06:07:43 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2016, 05:26:15 PM

I wasn't claiming any great insight, just stating that anti-democratic attitudes on the Left don't surprise me.

<_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Sounds a lot like you see what you want to see

Valmy

Well maybe everybody could see authoritarians on the left or authoritarians on the right but authoritarians in the center? Moderate authoritarianism might be what we all need.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

I thought enlightened despots were all the rage.

Sheilbh

There's a legal challenge to the High Court to establish how we can activate Article 50.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Valmy on July 03, 2016, 11:29:06 PM
Well maybe everybody could see authoritarians on the left or authoritarians on the right but authoritarians in the center? Moderate authoritarianism might be what we all need.

Yeah, authoritarianism of both the Left and Right has been tried at various times and in various places, and found wanting;  but I'm not sure there's even been a Centrist authoritarian regime.

celedhring

Well, the kind of freedoms espoused by social-liberal thought makes it a bit hard to combine with authoritarianism. Any kind of "for the people, without the people" type of regime would have a hard time keeping itself in power without veering into despotism.  :hmm:

There's a reason why liberal democracy is the least bad alternative. If uneducated idiots vote stupid stuff, we just need to work so there's less uneducated idiots.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 03, 2016, 11:29:06 PM

Moderate authoritarian?  What does that mean?  Authoritarianism is antithetical to liberal democratic values. 

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2016, 07:48:26 AM
Moderate authoritarian?  What does that mean?  Authoritarianism is antithetical to liberal democratic values. 

It means ignoring the referendum I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2016, 10:36:29 AM
So Nigel Farage resigns as well?

Yes. Mission accomplished! Yet he keeps his European parliament member position.  :hmm:

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 04, 2016, 11:41:16 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2016, 10:36:29 AM
So Nigel Farage resigns as well?

Yes. Mission accomplished! Yet he keeps his European parliament member position.  :hmm:

you know how those eurocrats are...