News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Going to Prague and Vienna.

Started by jimmy olsen, June 16, 2016, 05:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Prague was lovely and cheap when I went there 3 weeks ago. Did end up with left over funny money.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 06, 2016, 01:38:09 AM

Korean banks are complete dicks about foreigners using their cards overseas.

I can see how that would be a major problem for you, since you can't call to put a travel notification on your card since you don't speak the language.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on August 06, 2016, 07:28:52 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 06, 2016, 01:38:09 AM

Korean banks are complete dicks about foreigners using their cards overseas.

I can see how that would be a major problem for you, since you can't call to put a travel notification on your card since you don't speak the language.

The language is not a problem since bankers speak English. They just won't let you.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Didn't much yesterday due to jetlag. Made up for it today. Went to the castle and saw nine museums/exhibits there. Just awesome. On the downside, I walked 19km today. :bleeding:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 08, 2016, 10:59:31 AM
Didn't much yesterday due to jetlag. Made up for it today. Went to the castle and saw nine museums/exhibits there. Just awesome. On the downside, I walked 19km today. :bleeding:

:cool:

Post some photos when you've time.

Tim, did you remember to get your currency from the chap loitering outside the airport, you know the same guy who has the brother-in-law taxi driver who could offer you a good rate on a special tour?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Seeing 9 museums in one day seems a bit...excessive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2016, 05:23:34 PM

Yeah, unless some of those exhibitions were really small that's definitely overkill.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Larch on August 09, 2016, 03:45:47 AM

Yeah, unless some of those exhibitions were really small that's definitely overkill.

The castle had at least 11 different exhibits. I got there around nine, left at four. I'd say they averaged between 30 minutes and an hour to thoroughly examine them.

1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 09, 2016, 08:41:35 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 09, 2016, 03:45:47 AM

The castle had at least 11 different exhibits. I got there around nine, left at four. I'd say they averaged between 30 minutes and an hour to thoroughly examine them.

Oh I was wondering if you were counting those each individually (as opposed to the 3-4 art museums that are also up there). That's totally respectable then as many of those at the castle, though interesting, were not overwhelming with content inside each.

jimmy olsen

I did visit the Labowicz (spelling?) art collection. Pretty awesome. Would have been better if the power didn't cut out while I was there.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Can you guys recomnend me any good books on the history of Bohemia? 800s-1648 would be most appreciated, but if you know a good book set later or earlier, let me know.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2016, 08:26:07 AM
Can you guys recomnend me any good books on the history of Bohemia? 800s-1648 would be most appreciated, but if you know a good book set later or earlier, let me know.

Man things like that are surprisingly hard to find. I wish you better luck than I had finding good books about Poland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2016, 09:45:38 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2016, 08:26:07 AM

Man things like that are surprisingly hard to find. I wish you better luck than I had finding good books about Poland.

Seems like there quite a few good books on the subject, they're just not avaliable on kindle. That's not a problem for you, so if you're interested, take a look.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Been in Vienna a few hours. So far, score one for stereotypes. They seem a blunt, brusque and angry people.

Syt seems nice so far, though I've only texted him so far. Perhaps he will show his true colors on the 13th!  :ph34r:

1 Karma Chameleon point