Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2017, 04:42:08 AM
Why is unelected in quotes?

With all the stress they're puttinng in the result of the referendum by the "Brexit means Brexit" side, and how it's all the people's will and it's their sacrosanct duty to deliver that, I take it as another shot at Brexit oponents with that argument. Remember all the claims about "unelected EU bureaucrats/elites", this seems to be an attempt at creating another oposition body to label as official enemy to pin anything that goes wrong to.

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2017, 04:42:08 AM
Why is unelected in quotes?

Obviously they are quoting May.

Zanza

QuoteJeremy Corbyn 'likely to stay on' even if Labour suffers crushing election defeat
Party leader will try to stay on until at least autumn to secure a left-wing legacy, sources say
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-stay-on-leader-labour-party-general-election-2017-party-conference-a7691911.html

That's a real saboteur for you.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on April 19, 2017, 03:38:21 PM
QuoteJeremy Corbyn 'likely to stay on' even if Labour suffers crushing election defeat
Party leader will try to stay on until at least autumn to secure a left-wing legacy, sources say
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-stay-on-leader-labour-party-general-election-2017-party-conference-a7691911.html

That's a real saboteur for you.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

This just hastens the UK's break-up.

Hurry it up Scotland!

mongers

Quote from: Zoupa on April 19, 2017, 07:31:00 PM
This just hastens the UK's break-up.

Hurry it up Scotland!

See the 'offical' Languish election thread here:

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,14972.new.html#new

I to think this will be the last UK general election.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

To me it sounds like Corbyn wants to replicate what Trump did: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39649119

Which is laughable. Nowadays you garner anti-establishment support by being intolerant, anti-Muslim and a bit jingoist. NOT by being an anti-semite anti-military internationalist.

Josquius

It is his only hope.
Don't see it though
Wrong kind of stupid
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on April 18, 2017, 11:37:29 AM
The only problem is that the Daily Mail and the like would set the UK on fire if that happened.

With a soft, Norway-like Brexit, however, the Leavers could pretend they have not changed their mind over the whole thing seeing all this ordeal, and stay relatively quiet while the LibDems enact it.

However, if Brexit is just revoked, Leavers can't retreat with their face intact.

England has the secret ballot, so Leavers don't need to confess that they screwed the pooch the first time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2017, 11:49:49 AM
Man we now have to kowtow to the wishes of the Daily Mail? I hate the 21st century.

Parliament used to be sovereign.  Now, apparently, the Daily Fail is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

MOST EU member states believe that Britain's withdrawal from the bloc must be costly, and that any future trade arrangement must offer the departing country worse terms than full membership did. An index devised by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), our sister company, gauges the views of EU states on the four core negotiating issues: the amount of money Britain will have to pay to leave; the four EU freedoms (movement of goods, services, workers and capital); trade arrangements and tariff barriers; and defence ties. The EIU's analysts have assessed the stance of each of the EU members to generate a score out of 40, and then classified the countries into three clusters: "hard-core", "hard" and "soft".

Of the seven "hard-core" countries, the sternest of all is France, which has the highest score in the index at 32.5. This cluster mixes the traditional Anglophobes, Belgium and France, with the poorest member states, Bulgaria and Romania, who are concerned about both free movement and the budget. It also includes Germany, which sees itself as the custodian of the EU's future cohesion.

A plurality of countries fall into the 12-member "hard" category, with scores of 25‑30, which indicate fairly strong opposition to Britain's position. The final eight EU members, with scores below 25, make up the "soft" category. They include some which share Britain's liberal position on trade and EU regulation—such as Sweden and Denmark. It also includes Ireland, with whom Britain has close historical and trade ties. The Baltic states (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania) and Poland, which are most exposed to threats from Russia, put a premium on Britain's contribution to the defence and security of the continent.

Nonetheless, even the countries most sympathetic to Britain have limits on how generous they will allow the terms of Brexit to be. If nothing else, the importance of maintaining warm relations with the remaining EU members will dissuade them from undermining the group's overall negotiating position.

Valmy

When Ireland is among the most pro-British you might have a problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2017, 12:29:53 PM

Sellouts!  :thumbsdown:

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2017, 12:29:53 PM

Not really... Ireland is one of the EU countries that stands to lose the most from a harder Brexit.