Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Zanza

Quote from: Gups on April 18, 2017, 05:55:26 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 18, 2017, 05:50:58 AM
I guess it is rather unlikely, but if the Tories lose this somehow and would need a coalition partner, things could be really convoluted, especially regarding Brexit. Unless the coalition partner is UKIP...

It's massively unlikely. Some of the bookies aren't even taking bets on a Tory majority. Those that are offer odds of 1/10 on or worse.

Labour are in a terrible mess and a Brexit based campaign will exacerbate their divisions. They will have a dreadful campaign. UKIP are also a divided shambles. Lib Dems will improve on their dreadful 2015 position but will only challenge the Tories in a few places.

I'll be amazed if the Tories don't win a majority of 100+
In that case, it will be interesting to see who the new Tory MPs will be. Will it be moderates that give May greater leeway in the Brexit negotiations or will it be hardliners that will push for a hard Brexit and will claim to have a mandate for that.

Josquius

The lib dems have a real potential to sneak through a lot of seats if they manoeuvre correctly.
The lib dems, the greens and the SNP are the only parties continuing to oppose Brexit.
The Greens and Lib Dems seem to have a bit of an electoral alliance going on, and the Greens don't bother to run in most places.
So in England you have the Lib Dems opposing Brexit and Labour, the Tories and UKIP supporting it..... If the vote splits remotely like it did in the referendum then that gives the lib dems are lot of seats.

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 18, 2017, 05:44:54 AM
I think that the potential errors are huge. There will be a lot of tactical voting, also the brexit thing is a huge single issue that could sway many votes. For once the election campaign should be very interesting.

ps only a bloody fool like Corbyn could lose this for Labour.

Labour have got themselves into an impossible position.
They're supporting Brexit... Though aren't inherently linked to the brexit position.
Thus oppose Brexit- you don't vote for them.
Favour Brexit- theres Brexitier options.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

LOL at the tory one though don't get the lib dem one.

I've been thinking. Whats the legality behind this election?
Didn't that fixed 5 year term bill stop this sort of thing? They're repealing that act?
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

They just need a 2/3 vote in the Commons.

Valmy

At this point I just hope the Lib Dems can beat UKIP.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 18, 2017, 08:35:46 AM

Wait, so she needs Labor to sign off on their own demise? And they likely will?  :bleeding:

Gups

Quote from: celedhring on April 18, 2017, 09:23:26 AM

Wait, so she needs Labor to sign off on their own demise? And they likely will?  :bleeding:

Corbyn has said Labour will vote in favour of the election. So yes.

In fairness it's hard for him to say that the Tories are ruining the country and then turn down the opportunity to replace them.

mongers

Do we need a separate June UK general election thread?  :bowler:

I say that because once May's Tories have one their mandate, this Brexit debate will still dominate much of UK politics for the next few years.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Gups on April 18, 2017, 09:26:17 AM

In fairness it's hard for him to say that the Tories are ruining the country and then turn down the opportunity to replace them.

He could well be a man of principles*

* though in this instance more along the lines of going down with your sinking ship, having ignored all previous course correction guidance.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

QuoteI say that because once May's Tories have one their mandate, this Brexit debate will still dominate much of UK politics for the next few years.

Will it? It looks like the largest three parties by vote percentage from last election are all solidly pro-Brexit and anti-Liberalism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

He's just handing them the chance of ruining the country more comfortably.

It's easy to come up with an argument "you tories should focus on governing and fixing the mess you've created, and if you can't, we can help". Spanish parliament can't stop a snap election like the UK one can, but opposition parties will do whatever to avoid one if it's looking bad for them.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on April 18, 2017, 09:36:53 AM

He's just handing them the chance of ruining the country more comfortably.

It's easy to come up with an argument "you tories should focus on governing and fixing the mess you've created, and if you can't, we can help". Spanish parliament can't stop a snap election like the UK one can, but opposition parties will do whatever to avoid one if it's looking bad for them.

At the same time, it also seems like it'd be easy to say 'Corbyn, dear, you really need to go now' - if Labour is handily defeated in the snap election.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Corbyn wants the EU destroyed so of course he wants a big Tory victory here. With it will come the revolution in his delusional left wing mind.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2017, 09:39:27 AM
At the same time, it also seems like it'd be easy to say 'Corbyn, dear, you really need to go now' - if Labour is handily defeated in the snap election.

Well that's a good point. Too little too late though.