Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

..as the old saying goes, every cloud has a silver lining.

I'm currently reading Ring of Steel by Alexander Watson : https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/10/ring-of-steel-review-alexander-watson-germany-austria-hungary-first-world-war

It is an account of WW1 from the point of view of the Central Powers.

For years I've struggled (along with many others) to comprehend why the European powers behaved in such a self-destructive fashion............it was baffling. Well it is far less baffling now when I see the current generation of politicians making similar (hopefully less destructive) mistakes. We really are that stupid.

celedhring

We're not going to invade Gibraltar, firebrand tories have no need to indulge in their dago-crushing fantasies.  :rolleyes:

garbon

Someone in the House of Lords said something silly? To the battlements, I say!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2017, 03:42:34 AM
Someone in the House of Lords said something silly? To the battlements, I say!

Norman Tebbit also suggested London should back Catalan separatism to get leverage over the Gibraltar issue. God, we're definitely back to 1714 aren't we  :D

Josquius

Oh to be a neutral in this whole situation. The way the Kippers are getting so excited screaming about war with Spain....
Not helped by the papers comparing our militaries :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2017, 06:12:35 AM

:lol:

Oh God, the most painfully unfunny thing I've ever had the misfortune to see a few minutes of. :yucky:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

I'm told the live show was actually pretty good, but the move to TV sanitised it into the abyss.
It does strike me that most of its comedy comes from "Irish people. Lol"
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I managed about 14 seconds, a trailer; mindbogglingy stupid and stomach-churning garbage.

garbon

Just saw an ad at Sainbury's for a new product: Bud Light. Wow, they said Brexit was going to be bad but who would have thought? :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, unfortunately a disturbing proportion of the British population hate beer  :(

HVC

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 17, 2017, 01:59:17 PM
Yeah, unfortunately a disturbing proportion of the British population hate beer  :(

it's all the tea you guys drink, kills the taste buds. See English cooking.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on April 17, 2017, 02:24:11 PM

They don't really drink tea, given all the milk they pour on it.  :P A bit like Spaniards don't really drink coffee.

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 17, 2017, 02:25:30 PM

They don't really drink tea, given all the milk they pour on it.  :P A bit like Spaniards don't really drink coffee.

In it, dear. In it.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2017, 03:17:10 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 17, 2017, 02:25:30 PM

In it, dear. In it.

But it's true, innit?