Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 05, 2016, 11:30:31 AM
Quote from: dps on July 05, 2016, 10:46:12 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 05, 2016, 06:27:18 AM

People move to areas where they are ideologically/values similar. It's happening in the US too

I don't think there's such a place for me to move to.  We're certainly looking to move back out of the South, and that's a large part of the reason.  We're wanting to have a kid, and we've kind of agreed that we don't want to raise our child in a place where people complain about "they're trying to take out flag away" when there's another controversy over the Confederate flag.  It's not my flag;  it's the flag of traitors.  It's not about the flag itself, of course, though, it's about the attitudes behind it.

Personally, I've been kinda pushing for Columbus simply because it's a place that I know has a large, active wargamer club.  OTOH, I don't really want to live in Ohio, either.

Kind of undermines Tyr's theory that people don't have the luxury to live where they think it'll be nice.  Though I suspect (could be wrong) that it's easier to pick up and move in the US than in the UK.  I don't know the comparable stat, but I'm reasonably sure that 60% of adult Americans don't live within 20 miles of where they lived when they were 14.

My position on the Confederate Flag has always been that since it's the battle flag of a criminal insurrection, carrying it should be fully allowed--but so too should shooting and killing on sight anyone flying it. It should be seen as a statement that you are in a state of insurrection, and have submitted yourself as a combatant against the United States and its people.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 05, 2016, 11:28:40 AMAs I say may just be nonsense but I thought maybe because insurance is linked to the employer (right?) and would imagine that would have an effect on at least speculative moves?

I could see healthcare being a concern, but given the way most people move I don't think it'd be much of one. A lot of people move for a few reasons:

1. Going away to university - In which case you're too young to care, you're on your parent's health insurance until age 26
2. Moving for a job - In which case your new employer has a health insurance plan that you'll be covered by
3. Moving for a spouse - Usually when you do this your spouse has a job in another location, and you can be on their health insurance

Some people still don't have health insurance at all (even though you pay a tax penalty for not carrying it), and for them obviously health insurance wouldn't be a factor in their moving decisions whatsoever.

The only scenario where it'd be a significant deal would be if you had a job, with health insurance in Place A, and wanted to move to Place B and quit your current job, but didn't have a new job lined up. Say you want to move to Boston or Chicago because you just want to live in one of those cities, but don't have a job lined up. In that scenario you do have to worry about it a bit. But with Obamacare and COBRA you at least have options. Under the COBRA law when you quit, your employer has to continue allowing you to remain in their health plan for 18 months. However you pay the "full cost" of plan membership normally your employer subsidizes a good share of the monthly premium, so a COBRA plan will often be 2x or even 3x as expensive per month as it was when you were employed with the company. Now that we have Obamacare, given the high cost of COBRA plans, it's likely that an exchange plan would be cheaper (and you can enroll in them outside the enrollment window if you have a qualifying life event, which leaving a job I believe "counts.")

Richard Hakluyt

The Dukes of Hazzard would never have made it through 7 seasons if OvB had had his way  :cool:

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 05, 2016, 11:28:40 AM

As I say may just be nonsense but I thought maybe because insurance is linked to the employer (right?) and would imagine that would have an effect on at least speculative moves?

Well, no, it's not linked to an employer.  Anyone can go out an purchase a health insurance policy.  Granted, before Obamacare, and insurer could decline to cover you because of pre-existing health problems, or exclude those pre-existing conditions from your coverage, so maybe it's not 100% accurate to say "anyone" could purchase health insurance, but certainly most people could if the could afford it.  The hitch, of course, was that most people couldn't afford it unless they could get a policy at group rates, which usually meant getting an employer-provided policy.

Obamacare doesn't really change much of that, really.  The only real changes that impact most people are:

1)  Insurers can no longer refuse coverage for pre-existing conditions. 

2)  Most employers are now required to provide health insurance coverage for their employees.  Note that this doesn't mean that your employer has to actually pay the premium for you, merely that they have to offer you coverage in their group health plan.  Some employers will pay the entire premium for you, but most won't--they'll pay a percentage and you have to pay the rest.

3)  There is a requirement that everyone have a health insurance plan (the "individual mandate").

4)  There are subsidies available to help people who can't participate in an employer's group health plan (the unemployed, the self-employed, those who work for an employer small enough to be exempt form having to provide coverage, etc.) purchase a policy.

All of the changes tend to really screw over people in my position.  I had quit taking out health insurance, because even with all the maintenance drugs we're on, my wife and I, paying out of pocket, were spending about $2400 a year on health care, and we had figured out that paying out of pocket instead of carrying insurance saved us about $1000 a year, or maybe a bit less than that--not a huge amount, but not pocket change at our income level, either.  Well, now with Obamacare, I've had to take out health insurance or pay a fine, but we're not eligible for subsidies, and because insurers can't exclude pre-existing conditions and other factors, the premiums on the health coverage my employer offers have gone up a good bit.  And, to top it off, the deductible is so high, the insurance doesn't actually pay anything anyway.  Therefore, we're still paying about $2400 a year out of pocket to doctors and pharmacies, but on top of that we're paying about $3000 a year in health insurance premiums.  So we're paying about $5400 a year for the same health care we were paying $2400 a year for before Obamacare.  All of my co-workers are pretty much in the same boat, even the ones who had taken out health insurance before Obamacare, because of the increase in premiums.  All Obamacare's done for me and my family is force us to increase my employer's insurance carrier's profit by $3000 a year.   Thank you very fucking much for helping out low-income workers like us this way, Mr. President.  Financially, we'd be better off to drop our coverage and pay the damn fine.  I'm not sure how much the fine would be, but I'm sure it's less than $3000 a year.

Grey Fox

No, you wouldn't be better off. You need insurance.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 05, 2016, 12:52:56 PM

Why?

Grey Fox

Quote from: dps on July 05, 2016, 12:57:50 PM

Why?

So you don't go Breaking Bad on society.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Why?

Well say the care you might get if a medical emergency happens.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2016, 11:36:48 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 05, 2016, 11:30:31 AM

People move to areas where they are ideologically/values similar. It's happening in the US too

I don't think there's such a place for me to move to.  We're certainly looking to move back out of the South, and that's a large part of the reason.  We're wanting to have a kid, and we've kind of agreed that we don't want to raise our child in a place where people complain about "they're trying to take out flag away" when there's another controversy over the Confederate flag.  It's not my flag;  it's the flag of traitors.  It's not about the flag itself, of course, though, it's about the attitudes behind it.

Personally, I've been kinda pushing for Columbus simply because it's a place that I know has a large, active wargamer club.  OTOH, I don't really want to live in Ohio, either.

Kind of undermines Tyr's theory that people don't have the luxury to live where they think it'll be nice.  Though I suspect (could be wrong) that it's easier to pick up and move in the US than in the UK.  I don't know the comparable stat, but I'm reasonably sure that 60% of adult Americans don't live within 20 miles of where they lived when they were 14.

My position on the Confederate Flag has always been that since it's the battle flag of a criminal insurrection, carrying it should be fully allowed--but so too should shooting and killing on sight anyone flying it. It should be seen as a statement that you are in a state of insurrection, and have submitted yourself as a combatant against the United States and its people.

:D

You have to admire a mind that comes up with that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2016, 01:05:52 PM

Why?

Well say the care you might get if a medical emergency happens.

Given my past experiences with the Wayne Memorial Hospital ER, I don't have much hope of getting any quality emergency care as long as I live here regardless of my insurance status.

LaCroix

my girlfriend would be screwed without obamacare

Hamilcar

Ken Clark and Malcolm Rifkind shitting on PM candidates:
https://twitter.com/skynews/status/750313372466360320

:lol:

Berkut

So a lot of the people moved to London for the same reasons they voted Remain, so I think there still was a strong London v the rest element. Though there was social pressure here. I've not met a Leave voter in the flesh yet...
[/quote]

If you move to Rochester, there is a wargaming community of at least myself, and some people have described me as "large".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: LaCroix on July 05, 2016, 01:26:32 PM
my girlfriend would be screwed without obamacare

So Obamacare has forced you to become celibate?   :)

Admiral Yi

I know a couple who moved back to Iowa because they didn't want they're kids to grow up to be Texans.